Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Post by ladybug93 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:56 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:18 am
I'm sure on some levels that's true, unfortunately my income isn't increasing at the same rate that prices are, so my expectations and selectiveness have to increase to compensate.

Start looking at knives as an investment and your whole frame of reference changes. My collection is worth at least 20% more now than it was 4 years ago. It will be worth 20% more in 2024.

Am I happy prices are going up? Not really but I'm happy they are not going down! My investment is protected.
i buy the knives i buy because i want them. it's hard to see it as an investment if i don't plan on ever selling them. i'm too busy enjoying them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:59 am

Ok... this is not "feeding the demon" ;), but a reply to you, David, since I feel we misunderstood each other

- Of course I don´t judge anyone on what they tolerate or don´t!! As said in my previous post "I get and respect that"! (I mean I myself am concerned with blades that could be 2mm longer, though many don´t really understand this :winking-tongue )

- The intention of this thread was not to to utter unbelief why any individual person could be so "pedantic" to be bothered by a slightly off centered blade! Not at all.
The title is to be read like "Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering". Like in "how could such a rather tiny detail get so widespread importance as a "serious" criteria for quality". And this partly as an example for what generally changes through social media and what people are "told" is important, good, bad without even getting the chance to first see for themselves what they actually think.

Let me put it this way:
I personally used and had folders before I even had internet, or knew what anybody else thought about knives, judged their properties, used them.
Back then it would never have occured to me that a tip, that is not perfectly centered in the handle when I look at the knife from "above" could be a sign for quality. I would not have even noticed that. "Perfect" was for me, as soon as the blade did not rub one side of the handle.

And I am convinced: While most people would naturally notice dings in the G10, a stiffer action,a tiny gap between scales and liners and so on as flaws .
...many would not do so with the slightly off centered blade, if not each "reviewer" would put such high emphasis on that little detail and they would "learn" that this has to be important. Not a critique at all, this is just what it is with many things these days.
But of course: On the other hand many- including you - would have not be happy with a bit off centering "naturally" , without ever "learning" that this should be an issue.

Not the same, but a bit along that lines: I think many people would actually be perfectly happy with S30V (and not be able to tell the difference to another steel anyway), but they think it is "boring" cause they are "told so". (But others, especially on this forum, of course will have the actual experience to really have reasons to be "bored" with S30V).

So, long story short: It is perfectly fine and understandable, when people lay emphasis on a perfectly centered blade.
This thread is about that I still think these days some things / criterias etc. get inflated by "the internet" a bit... and people, who actually would be "naturally" perfectly happy with a knife are NOT, because they "heard" that some thing has to be a "flaw".

I am convinced this is true for me too in several aspects... and i don´t even realize it... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:08 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:56 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:18 am
I'm sure on some levels that's true, unfortunately my income isn't increasing at the same rate that prices are, so my expectations and selectiveness have to increase to compensate.

Start looking at knives as an investment and your whole frame of reference changes. My collection is worth at least 20% more now than it was 4 years ago. It will be worth 20% more in 2024.

Am I happy prices are going up? Not really but I'm happy they are not going down! My investment is protected.
i buy the knives i buy because i want them. it's hard to see it as an investment if i don't plan on ever selling them. i'm too busy enjoying them.
me too, I buy em cuz I like em... and I also have no self control in this area of my life. Then if I get bored of them or want to fund something else, ill sell em and usually its at a loss because they are used. But hey at least its not meth.

don't do drugs, buy knives and :doughnut
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:46 pm
I think you are putting too much emphasis on this being driven by the Internet. This is especially true for those of who have been around through a few moons. Internet hasn't been around for that long. Youtube is only 20 some years old. Knife reviewing on social media is even younger.

I would argue that the appreciation of symmetry and perfection, and their association with quality, has been around for long before me.
Last edited by anycal on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
noeps

Post by noeps »

Since I am the dumb SOB who necro’d I guess I should respond.
Evil D wrote:
I'll still fight over this and I can give you any number of analogies where people choose this same level of accuracy in other things they buy where they wouldn't be so dismissive of the issue.

Would you buy a new car if all the door/fender panel gaps were uneven? All the doors still open and close, it's perfectly functional what's the big deal?..
Yes I would buy all those things if they were off by a literal millimeter, as is the case with blade centering
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

noeps wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:13 pm
Evil D wrote:
I'll still fight over this and I can give you any number of analogies where people choose this same level of accuracy in other things they buy where they wouldn't be so dismissive of the issue.

Would you buy a new car if all the door/fender panel gaps were uneven? All the doors still open and close, it's perfectly functional what's the big deal?..
Yes I would buy all those things if they were off by a literal millimeter, as is the case with blade centering

They most likely are off by 1mm or more, but being much larger items, that 1mm is much harder to see. That's why I said a few inches, so the difference is obvious and easy to see just as it's obvious and easy to see when a blade is off center.

You know the point I'm making here. I really don't understand why people keep trying to rebuttal this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

noeps wrote:
Listen, I've had a rough day, and this thread has made me smile a lot.🤣
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

noeps wrote:
Aahahahaha 💀

Might be the first time I seen that on the internet.

Thank you
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Why are so many people concerned with people concerned with perfect blade centering?
Slash

Post by Slash »

Maybe because they spent over $200 for single knife???
Also, maybe they're concerned that it could hurt resale value???
Mostly because a SERIOUS collector and anyone that spends X$ on that "collection" expects that collection to be perfect as it can be.

My collecting has tapered off much. Especially with respect to folders. Been more into fixed hunters and larger more deadly type blades these days. Those all have perfect centering. Although my last purchase knife purchase last year being a Bark River Golok 2 is slightly warped. I'm ok with it though as I'm the only one that will ever notice and I also intend to use it for something someday...
Last edited by Slash on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:53 pm
Why are so many people concerned with people concerned with perfect blade centering?

👏

That's the question that really needs asked. Don't care about centering? Good for you! Your life is significantly easier than the rest of us and I'm happy for you. Let the rest of us wallow in our OCD misery in peace 🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I paid at least the same amount for the same knife model as others who have gotten ‘perfect’ examples, then I also want one that is as ‘perfect’ as possible. Sometimes ‘little things’ can also be indicative of more than initially meets the eye.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Slash wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:07 am
Evil D wrote:
w3tnz wrote:
That's the question that really needs asked. Don't care about centering? Good for you! Your life is significantly easier than the rest of us and I'm happy for you. Let the rest of us wallow in our OCD misery in peace 🤣

I´ll give it one last try, since I find it almost a bit sad how people almost deliberately seem to misunderstand what´s the point here:

That (highlighted) question actually is a bit weird in the context of this thread: Sounds like as if the purpose here would be to tell people "you are mad to care for perfect centering" or even "I am annoyed by your preference for perfect centering and want you to stop that".
When in fact is has been made clear several times and literally, that their is full respect and understanding for those who care for that level of symmetry.
The highligthed question is not even logical: If one asked: "Why do so many people want a red car", he is not concerned with the PEOPLE who want a red car and has no issues with them wanting a red car, but is only interested in their reasoning.

/ Look at the pic below: Two (for me) perfect knives. The Manix is perfectly centered, the Endura is not.

Now I´d ask everyone to be honest with themselves:

- Imagine, no one would ever have mentioned that extremely perfect centering is a thing. It would just not exist as a "quality criteria" (again: We are talking about functionally still perfect here. No rubbing on the inside of the scales or the like)

- How many of you would even notice a point that is off centered by a fraction of a millimeter like on the Endura in the pic?
- How many would even check if the centering is perfect?
- How many would see it as a "flaw" and reduced quality?

I am sure some still WOULD, no doubt!
But I am convinced: A large part of folks has just "heard" and "learned" that this "should" be an relevant issue

Really, this is no critique and not meant to offend anyone.
It is, among other aspects, just an example for how far we came away from just appreciating a perfect (cutting) tool, but are concerned with tiny details one has to deliberately look for or even to be told that they ARE an issue at all. And have nothing to do with the knife as a TOOL.

And, to be clear: This is 100% true for me too, of course!!! Just in other areas, where others might not be as concerned as I am with tiny details.

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:16 am
Slash wrote:
Evil D wrote:
w3tnz wrote:

I´ll give it one last try, since I find it almost a bit sad how people almost deliberately seem to misunderstand what´s the point here:

That (highlighted) question actually is a bit weird in the context of this thread: Sounds like as if the purpose here would be to tell people "you are mad to care for perfect centering" or even "I am annoyed by your preference for perfect centering and want you to stop that".
When in fact is has been made clear several times and literally, that their is full respect and understanding for those who care for that level of symmetry.
The highligthed question is not even logical: If one asked: "Why do so many people want a red car", he is not concerned with the PEOPLE who want a red car and has no issues with them wanting a red car, but is only interested in their reasoning.

/ Look at the pic below: Two (for me) perfect knives. The Manix is perfectly centered, the Endura is not.

- Imagine, no one would ever have mentioned that extremely perfect centering is a thing. It would just not exist as a "quality criteria" (again: We are talking about functionally still perfect here. No rubbing on the inside of the scales or the like)

- How many of you would even notice a point that is off centered by a fraction of a millimeter like on the Endura in the pic?

But I am convinced: A large part of folks has just "heard" and "learned" that this "should" be an relevant issue

It is, among other aspects, just an example for how far we came away from just appreciating a perfect (cutting) tool, but are concerned with tiny details one has to deliberately look for or even to be told that they ARE an issue at all. And have nothing to do with the knife as a TOOL.

And, to be clear: This is 100% true for me too, of course!!! Just in other areas, where others might not be as concerned as I am with tiny details.

Don't put a question in the title and NOT expect others to give you their reasons and opinions and try to dismiss them and think your correct.

Enjoy your off-centered knives and I'll enjoy my centered ones. Some of which were off-centered from factory, adjusted(by me) to perfecty centered and some of those that got adjusted were sold. Now you're gonna ask. Did I "adjust" it for my satisfaction or for the "new" owners...just cause I care that much about someone else's opinions and wanted to give them the satisfaction of owning an expensive "PERFECT" tool they can add to THEIR collection.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Slash wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:16 am
Slash wrote:
Evil D wrote:
w3tnz wrote:

Don't put a question in the title and NOT expect others to give you their reasons and opinions and try to dismiss them and think your correct.

Enjoy your off-centered knives and I'll enjoy my centered ones. Some of which were off-centered from factory, adjusted(by me) to perfecty centered and some of those that got adjusted were sold. Now you're gonna ask. Did I "adjust" it for my satisfaction or for the "new" owners...just cause I care that much about someone else's opinions and wanted to give them the satisfaction of owning an expensive "PERFECT" tool they can add to THEIR collection.

This is a "cursed" thread somehow... perhaps just should get deleted.
Or is it just the internet and people like to vent and let steam off.
Or are just used to everything being a personal "attack" and argument.

With all due respect, Sir: You seem to not really reply to my actual post. Parade read that one again. (and several posts of mine before):

- I LITERALLY said that I fully get, understand and respect when people like perfect centering
- I made clear that a lot of people of course and naturally will value perfect symmetry, and that this is perfectly fine and understandable, and, as said, just natural. Just as I made clear that I myself care for details on knives that others might not even see too.
- I never dismissed any opinion.
- I never said that I´d be correct, this clearly is not even about who´s "correct and who´s not"
- All I am saying is... well, you could have read that actually before your replied ;) - that I think:
The "perfect blade centering thing" is to a part a quality criteria, that some (SOME!) people would not see as such, if they would not have heard that it should be an issue (in my case: It never occurred to me for years to even look if a blade tip was off centered for a fraction of a mm, like on the pic of the Endura above, before I heard that this even is something to look for)
- And I discussed this just as an interesting example for how the way we (we!) are looking on "perfect tools" has shifted and now includes things that have nothing to do anymore with if a knife that is perfect as such - as a cutting tool. But nowadays a very slight asymmetry, that can only be seen when the knife is not ready for use anyway (so closed), and when deliberately looking from a certain perspective on it, is a thing. Again: THIS IS FINE of course. Just interesting.

So: No need to get mad. It was perfectly obvious all the time that I am absolutely fine with and happy when people enjoy 100% centered blades. ;)
(And of course: When I sell folders, I either make perfectly clear (with pics) that and how much a blade is off centered (if this is the case), or center it before selling the knife and check if this is a permanent adjustment (for it is easy to temporarely center a blade just for a pic).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:46 pm
I think you are putting too much emphasis on this being driven by the Internet. This is especially true for those of who have been around through a few moons. Internet hasn't been around for that long. Youtube is only 20 some years old. Knife reviewing on social media is even younger.

Yes, you are right!
I (wrongly) generalized what is true for me personally. I never had any source where I could read/see/talk anything at all about knives, before I got internet, and then discovered platforms (pretty late in my case) where one could inform themselves about knives.
This is also the reason, why I had to "learn" things by myself, without ever seeing how others do or see them (closing backlocks for example: It never occurred to me to let the Ricasso drop on the finger, and so I came to prefer all the other methods of closing a backlock one handed. Or dis-/re-assembling folders. And so on).
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The centre of something is the unbiased perfect moment, not tainted in any direction- the Spyderco hole uses this perfection to draw us in by its promise of unification, the universal circle. The path to enlightenment leads to the centre, where we actually already are, so the obsession is basically people leaving where they are to take a trip to get where they already are. If we could let go, we could find our own centres and not have to manifest what we think we lack by projecting that lack onto iconoclastic representations of our own ego. The whole (hole) draw with this hobby and this brand specifically is, at some level, to try to fill in the missing piece- the day the spyderhole is filled is the day we rub our eyes and realize we been spending hours of our life trying to center ourselves.

Full text available at Hamazon.org.com.us.uk.ca
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:03 am
The centre of something is the unbiased perfect moment, not tainted in any direction- the Spyderco hole uses this perfection to draw us in by its promise of unification, the universal circle. The path to enlightenment leads to the centre, where we actually already are, so the obsession is basically people leaving where they are to take a trip to get where they already are. If we could let go, we could find our own centres and not have to manifest what we think we lack by projecting that lack onto iconoclastic representations of our own ego. The whole (hole) draw with this hobby and this brand specifically is, at some level, to try to fill in the missing piece- the day the spyderhole is filled is the day we rub our eyes and realize we been spending hours of our life trying to center ourselves.

Full text available at Hamazon.org.com.us.uk.ca
:smiling-heart-eyes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Im with the general consensus here. For the money we spend on these, it better be centered. If not, try to not lose sleep over it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:03 am
The centre of something is the unbiased perfect moment....
This could be the perfect final post to put the deamon(-thread) to rest peacefully and forever... :smiling-halo