Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am

- For me insisting on 100% perfect centering would be like demanding the service person who perhaps repairs my washing machine to come in suit and tie...
Both ways to see it are equally fine imo.

I think we pro-centering people see it more like the service person is coming out and walking through our house with muddy boots on. They may be fixing the washing machine and they may be doing excellent work at that task, but they're doing it sloppy in other ways.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread should be renamed

"How many ways can we reword analogies?"
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Oh what the heck....

Things like blade centering, rough edges, uneven bevels, oddly aligned backspacers that could be more flush in all directions, don't bother me on my Seki models because I like them as users and I know I am going to scratch them up and ding them up. I look over these things because I like Spyderco, I like what they do with steel, I like a lightweight worker, and I like the round hole.

However, If I am buying a model as a collection piece or one that I believe is just an interesting piece, I can see a miss in these areas as a little bit of a let down. Although these are not necessarily a functional problem, but maybe better said as a let down. Two models right now that come to mind for me that are interesting, but not models I see that I would use are the Vielle Phoenix and the Stovepipe. I find them interesting, and If I was in the position of buying collectables (not in that position now, but maybe in the future) and one had these issues, I would feel a let down and maybe buy other models where fit & finish is pristine.

It is like underwear. I bought a set of underwear from a company that expressed quality of materials and craftsmanship. Organic cotton and all that. You paid a premium for them, but over time, they have not held up as well as the cheaper Costco variety. Now that is a let down. You think you are buying something with higher quality, but a mass produced cheaper shelf product was able to outshine in the quality department. I will not buy that higher quality underwear anymore because the perceived value just was not there.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Slash

Post by Slash »

Figured since I'm here, I'd add a little humor.
Reason for perfect centering is so the dust settles evenly...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:25 am
I bought a set of underwear
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

🤣🤣 I sometimes worry my joking will go sideways. Bloked again. 🤣🤣
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Slash wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:50 pm
Figured since I'm here, I'd add a little humor.
Reason for perfect centering is so the dust settles evenly...

You woke the beast. 🤦🏼‍♂️
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, the never dying thread!!! Here comes another round from all the new guys :rofl
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Noooooooooooooo!!! :spiral-eyes :skull-crossbones
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

My contribution. Started with a PM2 seconds, warped blade. It cut and opens like any other. Have a PM3lw Rex45 and the blade is slowly floating to one side. Haven't tried adjusting. As long as the blade doesn't rub the scale, I'm happy.

I have some Benchmade's 940, 810, and 950. If they get off center, the thick blade tip slaps the inside of the scales when putting the knife down. Had a Cold Steel Code 4 Tanto for two days, returned it for the tapping and it was mostly center. So in the end, as long as it doesn't tap, it's acceptable to me.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It's either OCD or anal retentiveness, or else the blade is rubbing. In my case it's anal retentiveness, but I'm working on it. :cheap-sunglasses
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’m a proponent of perfection.

If I buy a new vehicle, I expect a perfectly aligned steering wheel. Top dead center being a straight tracking vehicle.

If I buy a rifle scope, I expect a perfectly aligned reticle. Vertical and horizontal stadia being at 0’ and 180’. Not 3’ and 183’.

Did spyderco design the knife to have a blade that favors one side or the other? I suspect not. Thus if a new knife has a blade without centering perfection, then the knife does not meet my expectations as it does not meet what I assume was the initial design at spyderco.

Details matter. Striving for the mean or accepting mediocrity is a poor way to pass through this short life. If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:33 pm
I’m a proponent of perfection.

If I buy a new vehicle, I expect a perfectly aligned steering wheel. Top dead center being a straight tracking vehicle.

If I buy a rifle scope, I expect a perfectly aligned reticle. Vertical and horizontal stadia being at 0’ and 180’. Not 3’ and 183’.

Did spyderco design the knife to have a blade that favors one side or the other? I suspect not. Thus if a new knife has a blade without centering perfection, then the knife does not meet my expectations as it does not meet what I assume was the initial design at spyderco.

Details matter. Striving for the mean or accepting mediocrity is a poor way to pass through this short life. If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
Bravo, Sir! Bravo!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I haven’t read the last 12 pages but Spyderco’s are high performance tools first, jewelry second. Some models with exceptionally high msrps can check both boxes but at the end of the day even the best collaboration is 10-25% of the custom price and that process is going to create more imperfections.

Blade centering is often a contested topic. Simply put if you have mass produced tolerances the assembly/tightening process is how you tweak the end result. Lockup, action, etc is tuned with the screws/pins.

A Sebenza comes with a wrench because those tolerances result in a repeatable end assembly every time. That said, I’ve never taken apart a CRK or a Spyderco. I’d just be less inclined to fiddle with a PM2 because I’m ham-fisted :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the expectation of perfection is itself an imperfection.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I just love that this thread is still going... :zany

When are we going to get that P3LW with undeniably perfect centering!!! :rofl
So it goes.
blues

Post by blues »

Why are so many people concerned with other people's being concerned with perfect centering?
- Retired from the chase -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blues wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:26 am
Why are so many people concerned with other people's being concerned with perfect centering?
They aren't. At least that was never the point or Intention of this thread but something really different. Sadly things took the wrong turn many pages ago already... ;)
Forgive me if I don't explain. I did so several times in this thread already, and am just replying now since the thread is on top of page 1 momentarily anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I’d settle for good centering.