Sgain Dubh poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should the Sgain Dubh be a fixed blade or folder? And how long should the blade be?

Fixed with 3-5 inch blade
62%
Fixed with 6-9 inch blade
7%
Fixed with over 9 inch blade
No votes
Folder with 3 inch blade
11%
Folder with 3.5 inch blade
7%
Folder with a big blade
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 61

Bdubs808

Sgain Dubh poll

Post by Bdubs808 »

Forum member gdwtvb has generated interest in a Spyderco Scottish Sgain Dubh. Sal requested a poll for design input.
Fireman

Re: Sgain Dubh poll

Post by Fireman »

This poll needs a both option. Fixed and folder.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Most interested in a 3-5 inch fixed blade.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Boker that I have has a 4.625 inch blade, and it's too short. I'd prefer a 5 to 6 inch blade.

Maybe Z-Wear, 4V...
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:14 pm
Forum member gdwtvb has generated interest in a Spyderco Scottish Sgain Dubh. Sal requested a poll for design input.
Thanks for picking up the banner. I saw Sal's post earlier, but had to work and was hoping to do this tomorrow!

Fixed with 3.5 inch blade.

Grizz
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted "OTHER" because I would like to see one of these blade designs in fixed and folder both. I just got off their website and I've got to say that I'm impressed with what I see thus far. Now I could do without one of those high dollar stag handles>> just an FRN, Micarta or G-10 handle would be fine by me. The blade design on two of the fixed blade models in the main web page reminded me of a premium blade I cut my "premium Knife Loving" teeth on. There are a couple of designs of this Sgain Dubh that remind me a lot of my old Phil Boguszewski Spike, Benchmade model ( models 640 & 650) I got about the same time I got my very first Spyder ( 1995).

I love the streamline, spearpoint type of blade in a couple of these I seen for a lot of EDC uses I would anticipate. I still get out one of my Boguszewski Spike models every so often just to go down "Memory Lane">> but a 3 to 5 inch fixed blade or a 3 to 4 inch folder of that blade design would do well in my blade arsenal.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm
That might just be the ticket for a concealable fixed blade to take fishing or on a hike. You can actually do a lot of cutting chores with a 3.5 inch blade. Many people think that fixed blades have to be a foot long or longer>> but nothing could be further from the truth. When I got my very first STREETBEAT model back around 2007 I first thought it was too small for my needs. But I soon found out otherwise.

A G-10 handle>> or better yet a Micarta handle similar to the one on the first edition of the STREETBEAT model would be super.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

So 1, it's sgian dubh, which means black knife (Sgian is a knife, dubh is black). In English, it's pronounced kind of like skee-an doo.

2, I would absolutely kill for one. I wear kilts, from time to time, and I haven't purchased a sgian dubh yet because most of them just don't make sense to me. Most sgian dubhs have ornately-made handles with trash blades made in Pakistan. Never would I spend $200 on a knife with a trash blade. I'm pretty close to purchasing a Buck 113 Ranger custom, which is the right length but maybe a bit thick. They offer nice Elk Antler scales and an S30V blade for about $170.

The Nightstick is close, honestly, but a bit too big. A Sgian dubh should be about 3-3.5", no longer. It should also be thin, so it rides comfortably up against the calf.

Also, I'd be happiest with "nice" scales, like polished micarta or Birdseye maple (like on the recent Chaparral) - something with a natural look.

I'd be so stoked on a Spyderco sgian dubh.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:28 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm
That might just be the ticket for a concealable fixed blade to take fishing or on a hike. You can actually do a lot of cutting chores with a 3.5 inch blade. Many people think that fixed blades have to be a foot long or longer>> but nothing could be further from the truth. When I got my very first STREETBEAT model back around 2007 I first thought it was too small for my needs. But I soon found out otherwise.

A G-10 handle>> or better yet a Micarta handle similar to the one on the first edition of the STREETBEAT model would be super.
You and me think alot alike. I have a great affinity for small fixed blade knives. I am hoping that this idea comes to fruition. I would love a small spear or drop point in the Sgian Dubh style from Spyderco. My original idea is Rustproof Lc200N steel and contoured micarta handles. Making it ideal for a fishing trip!

Grizz
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Add this to the Ethnic series as a folder. I'd love one alongside my Khalsa Kirpan.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the poll. I'll watch the thread. 3.5" is the same as the Mules.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

A good quarter of my DNA supposedly tracks back to Scotland, I'd be in for one even though I have no idea what it would do that one of my Spydie Morans won't but, hey rational knife purchases can't be seen in my rear view mirror any more.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 pm
Thanx for the poll. I'll watch the thread. 3.5" is the same as the Mules.

sal
For anything longer, I'd consider calling it a sgian achlais instead. The sgian achlais, or armpit knife, is a traditionally a bit bigger (4-6"), and is worn under the arm. Larger than that and we're in dirk territory.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I have no qualms with a 3.5 inch blade, even if it is the same length as a Mule, but adding a only quarter inch to that length can make a significant difference and may please more people.
Like I said, 3 to 5 inches is the most appealing to me for a Sgian Dubh style of knife.
I’m not sure if the Ethnic Series includes fixed blade versions, but I do know that’s what I want to see!
Edit: I just had a scroll through the new product guide and noticed that the Respect is indeed an ethnic fixed blade, so that means it’s definitely possible there could be more!
Like a Sgian Dubh!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

i purchased a fallkniven kolt for kilt duties as it comes with a small plastic clip in blade cover which makes it ideal, aswell as a leather sheath for normal duties
however i would obviously prefer a spydy
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Rab

Post by Rab »

I'm actually Scottish and live in Scotland :)

as kennethsime mentioned most Sgian Dubh's available here are sold in traditional Highland dress stores are absolute garbage at stupid prices.

I'd love a 3" blade that could be carried in the pocket as a folder with a pocket clip or in the locked open position in a sheath down my sock when wearing a kilt.
If carried as part of national dress then its exempt from UK knife restrictions;)

Something with wooden handle scales would be fantastic.

Cheers
Rab

Post by Rab »

double tap
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Rab wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm actually Scottish and live in Scotland :)
Cheers mate! My family is from Dundee, though I grew up in California.
Rab wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:12 pm
I'd love a 3" blade that could be carried in the pocket as a folder with a pocket clip or in the locked open position in a sheath down my sock when wearing a kilt.

Something with wooden handle scales would be fantastic.
I'm agreed on the 3" and on the wooden scales. I'd prefer fixed over folder, though.

Sal, one thing I'll mention is that I've been spending a lot more money on highland wear than knives, lately. A Spyderco sgian dubh that was both a high-performance cutting tool and suitable for highland wear would convince me to spend a bit more on knives again. :D

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This gives some great cues to the design and function.

The sgian-dubh (/ˌskiːən ˈduː/ skee-ən-DOO; Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [s̪kʲənˈt̪u]) is a small, single-edged knife (Scottish Gaelic: sgian) worn as part of traditional Scottish Highland dress along with the kilt. Originally used for eating and preparing fruit, meat, and cutting bread and cheese, as well as serving for other more general day-to-day uses such as cutting material and protection, it is now worn as part of traditional Scottish dress tucked into the top of the kilt hose with only the upper portion of the hilt visible. The sgian-dubh is normally worn on the same side as the dominant hand.

Stag antler sgian dubh

A sgian-dubh being worn on the leg
Etymology and spelling

Origins Edit

Portrait by Henry Raeburn of Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry in 1812
The sgian-dubh may have evolved from the sgian-achlais, a dagger that could be concealed under the armpit. Used by the Scots of the 17th and 18th centuries, this knife was slightly larger than the average modern sgian-dubh and was carried in the upper sleeve or lining of the body of the jacket.[2]

Courtesy and etiquette would demand that when entering the home of a friend, any concealed weapons would be revealed. It follows that the sgian-achlais would be removed from its hiding place and displayed in the stocking top held securely by the garters.[3]

The sgian-dubh also resembles the small skinning knife that is part of the typical set of hunting knives. These sets contain a butchering knife with a 9-to-10-inch (23 to 25 cm) blade, and a skinner with a blade of about 4 inches (10 cm). These knives usually had antler handles, as do many early sgian-dubhs. The larger knife is likely the ancestor of the modern dirk.[4][5][6]

Bog oak, jet black in appearance, was a very hard wood suitable for the purpose. The handles on the stag knives simulate horn which was also traditionally used. Any ornamentation is merely a reflection of the Highlander's lack of confidence in paper money which resulted in him embellishing much of his personal wearing apparel with silver and cairngorm stones which are of value. Thus he carried on his person most of his worldly wealth. The black dagger (sgian-dubh) was usually carried in a place of concealment very often under his armpit (or oxter). This gives support to the view that 'black' does not refer only to the colour of the handle but implies 'covert' – as in (as stated previously) blackmail or black market. When the Highlander visited a house on his travels having deposited all his other weapons at the front door he did not divest himself of his concealed dagger, since in these days it was unsafe to be ever totally unarmed, not because he feared his host but rather because he feared intrusions from outside. Accordingly, although retaining the dagger; out of courtesy to his host he removed it from its place of concealment and put it somewhere where his host could see it, invariably in his stocking on the side of his dominant hand (right- or left-handed).

The sgian-dubh can be seen in portraits of kilted men of the mid-19th century. A portrait by Sir Henry Raeburn of Colonel Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry hangs in the National Gallery of Scotland; it shows hanging from his belt on his right hand side a Highland Scottish dirk, and visible at the top of his right stocking what appears to be a nested set of two sgian-dubhs. A similar sgian-dubh is in the collection of The National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland.[7]
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

So, to sum up, to get a traditional vibe...
Concealable (armpit, waist, sock) Fixed 4” single edge all purpose (Food prep, skinner, self defense)
black handles