Sgain Dubh poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should the Sgain Dubh be a fixed blade or folder? And how long should the blade be?

Fixed with 3-5 inch blade
62%
Fixed with 6-9 inch blade
7%
Fixed with over 9 inch blade
No votes
Folder with 3 inch blade
11%
Folder with 3.5 inch blade
7%
Folder with a big blade
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 61

Salty Dog

Re: Sgain Dubh poll

Post by Salty Dog »

Folder with an 8-12 inch blade ! :) called the brave heart.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

edit, sorry, double post
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This style looks nice

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A bit radical of an idea...
symmetrical dagger style folder where the twin spidie holes act as a hilt?
The top one when folded would act like a flipper while the bottom one acts like a normal thumb opening hole.
Thoughts? Maybe for a different style dagger?
I drew one up and it looks pretty cool actually.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm
So, to sum up, to get a traditional vibe...
Concealable (armpit, waist, sock) Fixed 4” single edge all purpose (Food prep, skinner, self defense)
black handles
Ehhh I'd still prefer 3". If it's too large, it defeats the purpose. The opportunity here, to my mind, is to make a functional sgian dubh, in a market which is flooded with decorative sgian dubhs. But to fit that niche, it's got to small enough, thin enough, and light enough to be comfortably carried in the kilt hose.

I'd be ok with black scales, but I'd prefer something traditional over something tactical. Oak, Maple, or (best of all) stag antler.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rab

Post by Rab »

Yep, I hear you.
3 inch is enough inch, on this style of knife. Its meant to be relatively small.

Something traditional(ish) for handle materials would also go a long way. Stag antler would be fantastic, but some kind of dark would either natural or stabilised would still be very nice.

A peculiarity of UK knife law (as far as I'm aware) means I can carry a Sgian Dubh if I'm wearing my Kilt.
If said Sgian Dubh looked like a PM2 I'm not sure the police would buy it :)

EDIT
this guy gives a bit of background on the knife style and makes a pretty good looking modern Bushcraft interpretation.
https://youtu.be/7BDP2itSjX8
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Rab wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:01 am
this guy gives a bit of background on the knife style and makes a pretty good looking modern Bushcraft interpretation.
I watched that video when I was first searching for a usable Sgian Dubh. I think Spyderco can produce a modern interpretation that maintains the look and feel of the original. I liked the jimping on the one in the youtube video, even if I'm not a fan of the grind.

Grizz
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:Will Spyderco ever do an Irish ethnic knife?
I was thinking of something more like the sgian dubh (although that'd be Scottish). A Seax style knife would be interesting as well.

Pitched this back in 2017! Glad to see some interest brewing. I would love to see a small fixed blade 3-3.25 inch blade and a folder. Something like the Stewart Mitchell pictured below with a flatter handle and more pronounced "guard".

Mule Team thickness in Cruwear, 4V etc. and blasted black canvas Micarta. The folder could be similar size with comp lock. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Rab wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:01 am
Something traditional(ish) for handle materials would also go a long way. Stag antler would be fantastic, but some kind of dark would either natural or stabilised would still be very nice.

EDIT
Fandabi Dozi does some great videos! I'm not convinced that much of what he does is historically accurate, but he does offer some good insight into the past. I tried to get in one one of his sgian dubhs, but they sold out too quickly. A familiar problem. ;)

Agreed on the handle materials.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Crazy thought but a 3" blade ots auto with a semi ornate homage shaped handle would be pretty cool. Even if it was black g10 with ss bolsters and butt cap or something.