More Chaparral Variants

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGearAddiction

More Chaparral Variants

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Just want to put it out there that I think the Chaparral would make a great candidate to get a Blasted Titanium scale version, much like the Sage 2. I currently have a Stepped Titanium one ("Stealth"), but would love to see a flat blasted version.

A regular G10 version (non-Sun and Moon) would also be a very nice addition to the lineup.

The Chaparral is such a great platform and hope to see more variants in the future :D
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Dyrestraiz

Re: More Chaparral Variants

Post by Dyrestraiz »

Actually, I couldn't agree more than enough. I hope that with the new versions like the S&M and Birdseye Maple being released, we should be seeing more variants (I'm looking at you, Pakkawood Hap40 combo).
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Micarta seems like a good idea.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd love to see polished micarta (like Dozier knife handles)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I personally would love to see a SOLID carbon fiber model. Plain, marbled or shred would be great, but if Spyderco wanted to take it to another level it could be done in Blackwood.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think Micarta would indeed be the most obvious next choice. And a great one imho. ;)

/ But if I take the term "variant" more broadly:

- Chaparral XL would be great, as said many times! Keep all dimensions (thinness, height..), just give it about Endela size
- SE and/or wharnie blade shape: Must be both amazing in that thin ffg blade....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Polished linen micarta gets my vote. A deep burgundy would look nice.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm figuring a Micarta version will be next. Not interested in a different models. Just the standard Chap with different scale materials
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I miss micarta spydies
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:29 pm
I think Micarta would indeed be the most obvious next choice. And a great one imho. ;)

- Chaparral XL would be great, as said many times! Keep all dimensions (thinness, height..), just give it about Endela size
- SE and/or wharnie blade shape: Must be both amazing in that thin ffg blade....
It’s on the verge of being too big as is.

Any longer and it’s going to bend like a fillet knife.

Besides, Spyderco already makes a larger chaparral. It’s called the Sage.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Wartstein wrote:

On the broader note: The XL would be great! I also would like to see a SLIPIT variant, it would eliminate the one thing people complain about the Chaparral (the difficult lock bar).
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:

It’s on the verge of being too big as is.

Any longer and it’s going to bend like a fillet knife.

Besides, Spyderco already makes a larger chaparral. It’s called the Sage.

I have to 100% disagree.

This has been discussed a lot already:
2 mm bladestock, especially in a wider blade like the Chap has, is not too thin at all for longer blades (Endela size!). Have you ever used one of the oldtimer folders? They were a lot thinner often times, not "bend" and held up well. Or take and Opinel!
Actually, 2mm in a good steel perhaps is the most reasonable, and way strong enough for a medium sized cutting tool (folder)

And the current Chap holds up to every hard use task I throw on it like a Champ, without any problem, just better cutting performance than most other folders! And believe me, I really beat on that thing.

And: No, the Sage only has the overall shape and lines of the Chap, but is a pretty different knife: Especially by having the pretty thick regular blade stock (actually as thick as an Endura!), not that slim carry profile and not that amazing backlock with its internal stop pin (that said: The Sage is an amazing knife too, just different!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think Wartstein just simply wants a larger Spyderco in 2-2.5mm blade stock and I can’t blame him!
Edit: dang you beat me to it!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:25 pm
I think Wartstein just simply wants a larger Spyderco in 2-2.5mm blade stock and I can’t blame him!

2.00 mm!!! ;)
We have some in 2.5mm already (Watu, Delica, Ikuchi, Centofante is even 2.00, but sabre hollow)

And yes, a new, dedicated 2.00 mid size model would be cool too, but the slim, but extremly sold built of the Chap, its amazing backlock and flatness in the pocket would be great also in a larger size...

Concerning blade stock: A Chap blade is still around 25% thicker than an Opinel 8 blade (almost Endura blade length)...and the Chap has both a wider blade and is made of better steel... way strong enough
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:24 pm
I personally would love to see a SOLID carbon fiber model. Plain, marbled or shred would be great, but if Spyderco wanted to take it to another level it could be done in Blackwood.
The Chaparral has an internal stop pin on the blade. I assume you could you mill out a path for the stop pin in the carbon fiber, but would the pin hitting the carbon fiber (over time) damage the scales?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Cl1ff wrote:

2.00 mm!!! ;)
We have some in 2.5mm already (Watu, Delica, Ikuchi, Centofante is even 2.00, but sabre hollow)

And yes, a new, dedicated 2.00 mid size model would be cool too, but the slim, but extremly sold built of the Chap, its amazing backlock and flatness in the pocket would be great also in a larger size...

Concerning blade stock: A Chap blade is still around 25% thicker than an Opinel 8 blade (almost Endura blade length)...and the Chap has both a wider blade and is made of better steel... way strong enough
I was thinking bigger!
Totally agree with you on everything though!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The concept of a knife showcasing different handle materials is kinda KEWL; however, the Chaparral platform has such broad appeal (as many have pointed out) it seems such a shame not to expand the options. Perhaps a new Taichung model that preserves what makes the Chappie so appealing yet a little beyond in design. I have long wished for a thin Chappiesk serrated model, but that may require a different steel.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

About handle materials, I also think keeping it “simple” with basic things like regular g10 in one or more colors, micartas, stainless steel/flat titanium, different carbon fibers, and maybe TeroTuff is perfectly welcome. Nothing too exotic or expensive.
Playing with finishes means there are basically endless possibilities!
A G10 with that diamond texture like the s45vn sprint pm2 and para3’s would be cool.
However, my ultimate wish is to get a dinosaur bone handled Chaparral similar to what Santa Fe Stoneworks has done with other Spydies.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Cl1ff wrote:
2.00 mm!!! ;)

I was thinking bigger!
Totally agree with you on everything though!
And I agree with you on "bigger" concerning thinner blades! ;)

For me the Stretch absolutely would even be better in 2.5mm stock, and I as much as I like the Endela, I was hoping it would come int the 2.5mm Delica stock (and not the Endura 3.00).

And a 2.00 Endela- / PM2 sized chaparral-ish folder imho would be strong enough for 99.9 percent of folder tasks, and a better cutter in 90% of those...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Cl1ff wrote:

2.00 mm!!! ;)

I believe the C17 Catcherman was available with 1.8-2mm blade stock. It was sort of a folding fillet knife but many people used them for edc. Its blade is ~50mm longer than the Chap. The C25 Centofante is 2mm ffg.