The ARK is probably the most high performance SE knife ever made

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

The ARK is probably the most high performance SE knife ever made

Post by Evil D »

Well, at least as high performance as you can get from such a small knife, or another way to say it is it's probably the best slicing SE knife ever made. I bought one when they were discontinued but I'm just now getting around to fiddling with it, and the thinness of the edge is somewhat shocking:

^^That is a micro bevel from the 30 degree slots. That means the serrations have to be ground a good bit thinner than 15 degrees. With the blade stock only being 2mm and it being a hollow grind, the back side bevel has to be very close to zero degrees so the inclusive edge I bet is around 10 degrees. This knife is wicked thin at the edge.

I won't be cutting up drywall and car tires with this knife, but I think I'm going to give the whole neck knife thing a try and see how it works for general use. I do drive a lot and I've found that pulling a knife out from my pocket is sometimes a pain so it may work for me if I can get used to the feeling of it around my neck. I may need to source a kydex sheath though if anyone can recommend one that has good enough retention to trust. I just can't get used to the tab-lock thingy, I'm too used to pushing the sheath with my thumb to pop the knife out.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bemo

Re: The ARK is probably the most high performance SE knife ever made

Post by Bemo »

I picked both versions up when they were discontinued. Haven't really given either a real try yet. I'll be interested in you're experiences and a kydex sheath if you find a good one.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The PE version is staying production for now. It's just the SE version that's disco'ed.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Outside of kitchen knives, That may be the thinnest blade stock that Spyderco has made a serrated edge. I'm hoping the 2.5mm FFG LC200N serrated blade on the upcoming UKPK salt will approach the cutting efficiency of the 2.0mm hollow/sabre serrated Ark. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall anything in the current line up with FFG serrated 2.5mm stock besides the Rescue Clip-it-tool for comparison which could be moot if the serrated grinds are different. Really looking forward to the serrated UKPK Salt.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Ark is a knife I really want to try out and maybe have a custom sheath made for it.
Seems like it would be good to take out running or climbing. Hopefully I can snag a serrated one when I get around to it!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wow, I didn’t fully appreciate how small the Ark is. It’s size really does make the edge-lengthening of SE not just appropriate but necessary.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Mine is always with me, carried around my neck. If it had negative blade angle I'd use it more often than my folders -- I primarily use it for cutting food or when it's the only knife I'm carrying.

You are right, it's insanely thin and a great slicer! The ARK made me realize just how handy and accessible a super lightweight and small neck knife can be. While I appreciate the ARK, I have high expectations for the Swick replacing it as my neck knife.

Compared to an Endura and Q Ball:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:29 pm
Outside of kitchen knives, That may be the thinnest blade stock that Spyderco has made a serrated edge. I'm hoping the 2.5mm FFG LC200N serrated blade on the upcoming UKPK salt will approach the cutting efficiency of the 2.0mm hollow/sabre serrated Ark. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall anything in the current line up with FFG serrated 2.5mm stock besides the Rescue Clip-it-tool for comparison which could be moot if the serrated grinds are different. Really looking forward to the serrated UKPK Salt.

You can get the Wharnie SE Delica already! 2.5 mm stock too.
/ But: Something like a Chap SE (2.0 mm ffg) would be a dream...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am
Mine is always with me, carried around my neck. If it had negative blade angle I'd use it more often than my folders -- I primarily use it for cutting food or when it's the only knife I'm carrying.

I was absolutely waiting for your reply here, my friend... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:43 pm
Well, at least as high performance as you can get from such a small knife, or another way to say it is it's probably the best slicing SE knife ever made. ...

Thanks for sharing the details, David!

I was not aware of that the ARK has the great 2.00 mm bladestock! AND is hollow grind!
Man, the fingers must get cuts from only approaching that blade... ;)

I totally believe that this must be the most wicked slicer, as long as the material it cuts gets not too wide in diameter (so that the shoulders of the sabre/hollow come into play as a "stop")
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am

(face-palm) I've become too predictable... :o
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am

(face-palm) I've become too predictable... :o

Perhaps... ;)
But I think that for the most parts I just like a lot of what you like too...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:43 pm
Well, at least as high performance as you can get from such a small knife, or another way to say it is it's probably the best slicing SE knife ever made. I bought one when they were discontinued but I'm just now getting around to fiddling with it, and the thinness of the edge is somewhat shocking:

Not probably David. It’s a fact. I love these threads mostly because I am huge fan of spyderedges in H1. I remember Sal once mentioned something about some high hollow ground performance oriented Delicas/Enduras. I wonder if that project is still alive. Could anyone just imagine the terrific slicing power of a 2mm stock blade, high hollow ground SE Salt2(Delica) in H1 ? Pure awesomeness.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 am
skeeg11 wrote:

Thanks for calling that to my attention. How could I have missed that? :o It's nice to see that more FFG 2.5mm serrated edges are upcoming in the Delica 4 K390 and the Salt 2 Green LC200N as well as the UKPK Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

Thanks for calling that to my attention. How could I have missed that? :o It's nice to see that more FFG 2.5mm serrated edges are upcoming in the Delica 4 K390 and the Salt 2 Green LC200N as well as the UKPK Salt.

You are more than welcome! :)

And I totally share with you the hope for more 2.5mm SE Spydies!!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

ImageIt is definitely tiny, and very thin. I don't ever think of knives for self defense, but I can tell you, it is a perfect bartending knife. It destroys fruit for garnish like few others, and can still open all the boxes and cases you want, like magic. No fruit juice inside either, just a quick rinse. I had some pics of home and bar use, but can't find them, so i will include this one instead. I will say, I'm surprised the SE is being discontinued, because I wouldn't consider one in PE, and I really wish the sheath was better.
Attachments
20210213_154609(1).jpg
elena86

Post by elena86 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

Different animals here. Nothing can beat a high hollow grind blade in spyderedge, not even a full flat one given they both have the same thickness. I also remember that David had high praises for his SE salt Dfly2 which is also in high hollow grind. That one is another great performer. I had the same experience with mine. I brought my salty SE Dfly2 with me for a trip in the Canare islands two years ago and I tell you, that little sucker zipped through everything like a champ.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:00 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

Different animals here. Nothing can beat a high hollow grind blade in spyderedge, not even a full flat one given they both have the same thickness. I also remember that David had high praises for his SE salt Dfly2 which is also in high hollow grind. That one is another great performer. I had the same experience with mine. I brought my salty SE Dfly2 with me for a trip in the Canare islands two years ago and I tell you, that little sucker zipped through everything like a champ.

Yeah my opinion of hollow grinds is definitely changing a bit, but I think the trend I'm seeing is that thinner blade stock makes all the difference in how much I like them, and even then there's no guarantee that the edge will be ground thin too and of course the height of the grind makes a difference too. There's just about as much difference between the Dragonfly Salt and the ARK as there is between a Dragonfly Salt and a Salt 2, I'll get my calipers out tonight and see but the grind is that much thinner on the ARK. The hollow grind is about the same height on the Dfly and ARK but it almost seems like they deliberately ran the ARK thinner, maybe for self defense purposes since this knife is so small and thin it really isn't intended for harder use. In fact I would even start to be concerned about edge damage with a blade this thin, I could see someone rippling the edge between the large serrations.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like this knife so much I actually ordered a second one since the SE is discontinued. I've had it on me pretty much all day everyday since getting it, and I'm really surprised how handy a neck knife is especially when sitting down/in a car. I really hate that I'm a Johnny-come-lately with this, I've missed out on so much.

I have to say though, I'm not in love with the sheath. I also have a CRKT/Foltz Minimalist and that sheath is fantastic, it snaps tightly in place and has just the slightest amount of jiggle. By comparison my ARK literally rattles, and I would really prefer the "safety" wasn't there at all and the sheath just pinched the tang tighter like the Minimalist sheath does because the sheath blocks my index finger when drawing and it turns the draw into a 2 hand draw. I made a little 2 inch fob that helps with drawing, but I'd really prefer to not need it.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I took the safety tab off of mine, and heated it a little while being pinched together with a clip. It helps for a while, but of course it stretches back out.