The Return of the Persian

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

More of Ed Schempp's Persian!

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 am

YES
74%
MAYBE
18%
NO
8%

Total votes: 61

kobold

The Return of the Persian

Post by kobold »

Here it is. A beauty:

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
The Meat man

Re: The Return of the Persian

Post by The Meat man »

Absolutely! The Persian is my favorite Schempp design. Never owned one but I would love to some day!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I voted yes. Unfortunately the Persian doesn't fit my hand but I'd like to see it come back for everyone else who didn't get a chance to try it. Definitely an elegant knife. Of course I think the Kris is in line first since the Persian had a sprint a few years ago. Sal said its on hold because of factory capabilities or lack thereof.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Definite yes from me, beautiful looking knife with some great angles.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just yesterday I thought of my small Persian and realized I need to get it into my pocket more

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Ahh yes the Persian has always been a grail for me - simply in love with this elegant design.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Looks like a very ergonomic and classy design. I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try if the price was right and the availability was there, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to "have to have one," like with some other models..

Voted "maybe."
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes but I want ffg, micarta or smooth g10 scales and a wire clip or at least a regular 3 hole clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jdw

Post by jdw »

Both versions of the Persian are two of my all time favorites. A definite yes for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Voted "maybe"...

I don't think this specific model has to return. But I would like to see a Persian-style knife in the lineup.

I certainly wouldn't complain if the Ed Schempp Persian came back, but it could also be a new/different design.

For example, Peter Rasenti has made Persian-style customs in the past. Maybe he could translate one of those designs into a production model for Spyderco.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Years ago there was a larger prototype Persian. I'd like to see that. Probably fit my hand better than the standard model.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd say yes to small, medium, and large!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Yes! Yes! Yes! To all 3 sizes. I love my Ed Schempp Bowie and would like to add another of his designs.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So many different swoops and angles going on. I had the persian style blade in the ZT 0460, but it just didn't work for me at work. Something about this though, at a reasonable price, I'd probably give it a shot. Very cool and unique!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I may be misremembering, but didn’t Sal say that Schempps such as the Persian might not be possible any longer because of Moki’s changeover of generations.

Originals do show up on the secondary market...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Yes please!!
sal

Post by sal »

I can look into it. Full flat? Steel" handle material? Bolsers? Changes? Ed's opinon?

sal
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

The bolster is a must in my opinion. The bolster with some sort of micarta would be amazing. I’m honestly fine with vg10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted yes, there is a lot to like here!

For me personally especially in the Persian folder 2 (G10) https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C83G2/601, since I like its lighter weight (though the looks of the heavier bolstered version are amazing!)

If an upsweaped tip works for me is something I´d have to try (though, tbh, I think it might be not the most practical for EDC, cause for many "tip works" the hand would have to be in an akward angle? Just a guess though)

Could anyone post a comparison pic of the larger Persian to some "main" Spyderco model (PM2, Manix, Endura, whatever...)?
I´d like to check if the grip area between "guard" at the front end and "hook" at the rear end is long enough for larger hands...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Firstly the thread needs a photo of a G10 Persian 2 - my 76mm

This is a minefield. First and foremost, assuming the bolstered version is where this goes - is it pinned or screwed? Aesthetically, I prefer a pinned pivot as the original was but practically I'd want a pivot bolt ... whatever route you go there are going to be unhappy, vocal people that would have preferred the alternative pivot - sales will no doubt be impacted.

The next thing is Moki themselves as @wrdwrght has mentioned. I'm not sure what they can and can't do any more. When they produce a knife there is often wailing and gnashing of teeth about gritty pivots, excess machining oil everywhere, washerless construction, etc. I'm not sure how much this "reputation" affects sales. My last Moki knife was the Baby Horn sprint and whilst it wasn't perfect out the box it wasn't anything a bit care couldn't sort out. It is/was still available 3 years after its release which cannot be good. In fact I suspect I picked up my Persian 2 well after they were discontinued as well.

More of an issue is can Moki still produce a bolstered knife? Talk at the time of the last Kopa sprint was that they couldn't. There is talk that the FRN Caly is moving to Taiwan but it looks like JD's Ayoop will be made at Moki ... as I say, I'm not sure what they can be realistically asked to produce. What they can produce will probably drive this more than what forumites want.

As to the knife itself, my issues with the design based on my G10 version are the lack of guard in the choil. It's a very shallow choil with the edge right there. I'd prefer either a deeper coil or a nib or something to at least feel how close you are to the edge when push cutting into resistant material.

My J-clip was a fail. It was incredibly tight against the G10 and was shredding pockets quicker than necessary. I took it off to bend it slightly and it snapped with very, very light pressure. I have adjusted many, many clips and this one had little or no spring in it. I'd suggest a redesign to either a standard 3 screw or wire clip if this goes anywhere.

I really like the Persian blade shape but I'd prefer a Persian blade with a revised choil / tang in either a Caly or Harpy type handle ... or even a Persian Delica. I'm afraid I voted "no".