The Return of the Persian

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

More of Ed Schempp's Persian!

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 am

YES
74%
MAYBE
18%
NO
8%

Total votes: 61

Ed Schempp

Re: The Return of the Persian

Post by Ed Schempp »

I think there is a lot of research done on doing a sprint of the Kris, maybe a Persian will follow. Some of the skilled artisans have retired that did the original work on these knives. COVID has not helped this process!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Ed Schempp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm
I think there is a lot of research done on doing a sprint of the Kris, maybe a Persian will follow. Some of the skilled artisans have retired that did the original work on these knives. COVID has not helped this process!
Great to see you around Mr. Schempp. I would be very happy with a Kris or Persian.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Ed Schempp wrote:
The fact that these amazing knife makers have retired or passed away is probably the biggest change I lament in Spyderco’s long history. Gone are those incredible models with bolsters, hidden pivots, stunning inlays - everything ranging from the Kris and Persians, the Caly 3 Damascus, and of course all the lovely Kopas, Kiwis, etc. that came out of Moki in what I consider the golden age of Spyderco (not sure if my dates jive with JD’s - he’s very Golden-centric with his golden age models, while for me ALL that action was in Japan). I have spent years collecting those models, especially the smaller, gentleman’s folders with the exotic inlays, because it’s been clear to me the writing on the wall is that models like those will never be seen again. Taichung does an amazing job don’t get me wrong, but they lack the sheer elegance of those beautiful Japanese models. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I would also personally love to see a run of the khukuri.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I voted maybe because I’d rather another Kris, at least first, so thanks for the update Mr. Schempp! Would of course be cool to get both!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Both works for me!
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ed Schempp wrote:
I think there is a lot of research done on doing a sprint of the Kris
Glad to have this opportunity, Ed, to thank you for the Kris and Balance. I was fortunate to acquire both last year. I love both designs.

Would an undimpled (or otherwise lightened) Tuff have a chance of materializing, I wonder.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Ed Schempp wrote:
Thank you for weighing in! Your Kris design is absolutely outstanding. One of the best! I feel very fortunate to have and carry one. :spyder: :cool:

I have gushed about it before and don't want to derail this Persian thread...

A pinned and bolstered Kris sprint like the original but with ivory paper micarta would be amazing--though perhaps not possible to achieve, especially with the original artisans retired.