Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Here are 3 of Eric's great designs. Hopefully you can see some of the design elements that start out as subtle in the Q-ball and get more pronounced or through the models. Heck could almost do a time lapse morph thing if the lock on the Domino was different. I think I would agree that in spirit the Q-ball is really a mini Manix. My apologies for the quality of the pic, still working on it.

Great and very interesting pic!

And it actually seems to show what I meant in my previous post:
I don´t think that this is a "progression" in Erics design skills or -preferences.
I rather think he is a great designer and just knows, that the shape of the larger Manix 2 (second guard, "hook" at the rear end of the handle) works perfectly and universal in this model (or a model of that size) for most hand sizes, but transferred in a smaller model would get in the way (second guard) or restrict usable handle length (hook at the end) too much, so that only people with really small hands cut comfortably hold the knife.

The Manix 2 has a perfect fit for me, but if my L to XL hands would be larger, the grip on the handle actually would start to get cramped between "first guard" and "parrot beak" at the end
So if scaled down in the exact same shape, imho a "Lil Manix" would only work for rather small hands.
Remove that "hook" in a smaller size (like on the QBall) and larger hands can grip it comfortably too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cloudpath

Re: Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Post by Cloudpath »

Bumping this just to show my support for a Q-Ball 2 with CBB! It would be the perfect knife for me.