Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:51 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 pm
I'm the same way - I use all my knives, but still like most of them to look nice. I don't like patina, etc.
+1

Who likes scratches on their new cars? :confused:

I totally respect when people want to keep their knives pristine!

That being said: For me there is a huge difference: While I personally don´t mind scratches in my car too much but really would not need them, I absolutely love when my knives start to look used more and more.
No right or wrong here of course, just different approaches of people who all love and enjoy knives! Each in their own way! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

I only own one Spydie that was pre-owned. All others were NIB when I got them. Imagine you pick up your car from your dealer with less than 10km/miles on the clock, and when you park it at home, you scratch it. You're not gonna be happy. At least *I* wouldn't be!

It is totally ok that my Slysz Bowie has scratches - after all it is being carried 365 days per year (unless I'm travelling, which I'm not anymore really). Some others have "evidences of use" as well, and I got to accept that. Not that many though. The first blemish always hurts, and I try to prevent it as good as I can.

Now back to the Shaman. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm
I'm the same way - I use all my knives, but still like most of them to look nice. I don't like patina, etc. Those could just be oil spots, in which case you could try scrubbing the scales with dish soap. But as others have said, the oils from your skin will naturally seep into the micarta and give it a "micarta patina." Even with my love of clean-looking knives, I still love how micarta ages. You could also rub a light coat of mineral oil into your scales now, which would darken everything to match the spots.
(off topic)
... but you still might try it on your K390 Endela? :)
Yes, yes, I'll give it a shot on the Endela. Just for you! ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Mine had those same spots when I got mine last year. They'll disappear and blend in the more you carry it.
Yeah, I figured it's just the nature of Micarta. Just weird as none of my other Micarta scaled knives have had those blemishes out of the box.

Still kind of a bummer as even though I use 90% of my knives I still keep them clean, oiled and looking good as I do with my tools, cars, etc. I'm a little OCD sometimes. Oh well, I'm just happy I snagged one.

Here's a photo of mine a couple days after I received it, as you can see there are some darker spots as well.
Resized_20191126_153435.jpeg
Here's a couple that I just took today. I would have liked to have taken them in natural light like the first photo, but it's 3 degrees outside today and I'm really not feeling it :p But as you can see, the spots have blended in overtime with regular carry. They've never been oiled or anything (though I am Italian so maybe I'm a little greasy haha!) Also note, for anybody that's getting this knife. In the last photo, those are indeed scratches on the blade. I cut a lot of abrasive materials at work, and Cruwear and most likely Z-Wear as well will scratch fairly easily.

Resized_20210213_091718.jpeg
Resized_20210213_091750.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My brothers Crucarta that i got him last year vs my Z-carta from a few days ago

•• Beau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Perfect comparison! That weathered micarta looks and feels so much better than brand spanking new!

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The spots are almost guaranteed to be oil from assembly. I put mineral on some of my micarta scales to even it all out. Your hands will eventually get it to the same place, but it’ll take months.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:14 am
I only own one Spydie that was pre-owned. All others were NIB when I got them. Imagine you pick up your car from your dealer with less than 10km/miles on the clock, and when you park it at home, you scratch it. You're not gonna be happy. At least *I* wouldn't be!

It is totally ok that my Slysz Bowie has scratches - after all it is being carried 365 days per year (unless I'm travelling, which I'm not anymore really). Some others have "evidences of use" as well, and I got to accept that. Not that many though. The first blemish always hurts, and I try to prevent it as good as I can.

Now back to the Shaman. :)

I guess we are just different here.. ;)
I would honestly not mind at all if a Spydie I plan to keep (at least for a while) would get scratches or other "marks" in the very first use
And: As soon as I actually use a Spydie, even if just cutting into paper once, I WILL keep it (and not immediately sell it on the secondary market)
I´ve always liked my knives more as soon as they did show use, getting more personal by that and having a "history" that could actually be seen

Regardless, both approaches are equally fine, and you´re right:
Back to the Shaman! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:53 pm
Perfect comparison! That weathered micarta looks and feels so much better than brand spanking new!

100% agreed. Guess we have a lot in common concerning "used look" of knives! :)

Also the blade of the Cruwear Shaman showing use combined with the "worn in" Micarta makes for a great overall look, especially on a knife like the Shaman!

As I said in my reply to Micha above: I like when knives show use and history.
Now one of the nice things with Micarta for me is, that with that material not only the blade, but also the handle gets really "personal" over time.

The best combo for me (look-wise, but not only concerning that) would be Micarta and some tool steel like K390 that shows use not only by scratches, but also by patina...
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:42 am

Here's a couple that I just took today. I would have liked to have taken them in natural light like the first photo, but it's 3 degrees outside today and I'm really not feeling it :p But as you can see, the spots have blended in overtime with regular carry. They've never been oiled or anything (though I am Italian so maybe I'm a little greasy haha!) Also note, for anybody that's getting this knife. In the last photo, those are indeed scratches on the blade. I cut a lot of abrasive materials at work, and Cruwear and most likely Z-Wear as well will scratch fairly easily.
Mine is on track to be delivered wednesday from Idaho (Northwestknives.com thanks to Buddafucco and others for bird dogging the drops, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have snagged one without the help from this forum) first micarta for me. The pics of the micarta after absorbing oil are encouraging. Although I'm not a fan of the forced patina look, I can see a gracefully aging non stainless blade with aged oiled up micarta scales.

Kinda like a well worn leather jacket that fits well and documents all that its been thru vs buying a new distressed leather jacket.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

desmodue wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:58 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:42 am

Mine is on track to be delivered wednesday from Idaho (Northwestknives.com thanks to Buddafucco and others for bird dogging the drops, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have snagged one without the help from this forum) first micarta for me. The pics of the micarta after absorbing oil are encouraging. Although I'm not a fan of the forced patina look, I can see a gracefully aging non stainless blade with aged oiled up micarta scales.

Kinda like a well worn leather jacket that fits well and documents all that its been thru vs buying a new distressed leather jacket.
No oil on those scales, those are el natural :)

-Rick
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

I meant natural oiled up by handling, its a good look
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

desmodue wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:17 pm
I meant natural oiled up by handling, its a good look
Sure is! Nice to see how it evolves, hope you enjoy yours as well!

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Got mine. Seems perfect. Smells funny. Nice knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:45 pm
Got mine. Seems perfect. Smells funny. Nice knife.
Nice! :spyder: :rolleyes:

Based on my experience with the CruCarta model the phenolic resin smell will dissipate after not too much time.

Enjoy.
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Out for delivery from St Nicks today :D
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Woohoo! Just received notification that my zwear is in the mail! Now the long wait and I have to decide if a second shaman is in the budget. Hard to do with crucarta pm2s coming out in the future. So many great knives coming out. Want a native chief rex45 also
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine came in today.

It's an exquisite knife, no doubt, but after a few minutes of handling I've decided I prefer the ergonomics, balance and blade of my Manix XL's.

**EDITED - TazKristi**
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote: Mine came in today.

It's an exquisite knife, no doubt, but after a few minutes of handling I've decided I prefer the ergonomics, balance and blade of my Manix XL's.

**EDITED - TazKristi**
Its funny because Im the opposite. I was handling my manix 2 xl and a shaman yesterday. I preferred the shaman.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Anybody hear from Campsaver? They emailed me that they could no longer provide a delivery estimate. So I guess they may not come through at all.