Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bamboo

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by Bamboo »

archangel wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 am
Still no progress, mine is still at customs. :mad: 13 days no movement now - unbelievable. :mad: Now I need to go to hospital for a few days and won't be able to pick it up. :mad: My wife agreed to do it. :eek: If they manage to complete their *EDITED - Family Friendly Please* process in a week or so that is. :mad:
Fingers crossed for you archangel. Hope all goes well in the hospital, and that your shaman arrives well well and safe ASAP!
Mine came from GPKnives through fedex. Was delivered to the Netherlands in 2 days :eek: But fedex charged 30 euros in extra fees on top of the vat :rolleyes: .
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Bamboo wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:24 pm
Fingers crossed for you archangel. Hope all goes well in the hospital, and that your shaman arrives well well and safe ASAP!
Mine came from GPKnives through fedex. Was delivered to the Netherlands in 2 days :eek: But fedex charged 30 euros in extra fees on top of the vat :rolleyes: .

Bamboo, i buy several knives (mostly exclusives) from US retailers. However, in this case Knivesandtools.nl had them on stock also. No Fedex charges and taxes afterwards. Now OOS btw. Any particular reason you ordered from GPKnives if i may ask?

Mine came in today and had quite a bit of side to side play. Just as others already mentioned in this thread. It took me 2 hours to remove it completely. Had to take it apart several times. How could this pass through QC? As a sturdy and heavier knive the Shaman must be rock solid in my opinion. Anyway, now that it is fixed i am sure i will be quite happy with it.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Has anyone else noticed a scratching noise when they open and close their shaman? I have a noise that appears to be coming from the compression lock rubbing on the blade when opening and closing. I tried oiling the detent ball but it still makes a scratching noise. I don’t know whether or not it is worth sending it in to Spyderco.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm
Has anyone else noticed a scratching noise when they open and close their shaman? I have a noise that appears to be coming from the compression lock rubbing on the blade when opening and closing. I tried oiling the detent ball but it still makes a scratching noise. I don’t know whether or not it is worth sending it in to Spyderco.
I would suggest opening the knife up and checking the area of the tang that the ball rides on. I've had other knives be kind of gritty before the ball wears a track in. Spyderco usually polishes that area so it has a smoother action. Could be grit or dirt is in there and cleaning it will help, might need to break in, or you could oil that entire area to help. I always like to have a thin film of oil on the track, and put a little into the detent hole as well. Usually works for me.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Henry_P wrote:
I had the same noise on a S30V version. Oiling the detent ball fixed it.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

archangel wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 am
Still no progress, mine is still at customs. :mad: 13 days no movement now - unbelievable. :mad: Now I need to go to hospital for a few days and won't be able to pick it up. :mad: My wife agreed to do it. :eek: If they manage to complete their *EDITED - Family Friendly Please* process in a week or so that is. :mad:
I'd be z-wearing with frustration as well...
I've had so many things go wrong shipping from the States I try to avoid it if at all possible. Alone the hassle of trying to winkle your property from the clutches of German customs makes the knivesandtools tax look quite reasonable! And if there is problem with the knife, returning it could just prolong the nightmare.
Good luck in the Krankenhaus and I hope you get your Shaman soon! To quote Borat, It's very niiiiice!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Mine showed-up, first Shaman and still not particularly attracted by the model, still reeling from the inhuman prices in EU but hey nobody forced me to buy it, will be eating marmalade sandwiches for the next 6 months or so :D

No major defects I've noticed so far, it's centered, OK action, no up and down blade play, just a tiny bit of side-to-side play, probably it's either this or no drop-shut action so I'll just leave it like this.

As long as there is interest next year or so Spyderco will not miss the opportunity to sell another run of these in another shade of Micarta and some XY-Wear.

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Danvp wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 pm
How could this pass through QC? As a sturdy and heavier knive the Shaman must be rock solid in my opinion. Anyway, now that it is fixed i am sure i will be quite happy with it.
In an ideal world yes :D but being so busy with so many sprints, exclusives and regular production plus a gazillion new models popping-up in Reveals I guess they check the basics, like if it's safe to use (that's probably the most important one, to avoid being sued if somebody gets hurt) and then obvious visual defects (like in my Seconds Millies), side to side play unless the blade moves 1 inch left-right :D I presume might not be a show stopper
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

The finish is top notch but the fit leaves me wanting. Off center and blade play. My two after-market micarta scales for PM2s are very difficult to balance the action, blade centering and blade play compared to G10 versions. Coincidence? I've already purchased 6 Spydercos this year for $$$$ and this is the only one that has me less than satisfied. I'm sure that I can tinker with it and make it the user it's intended to be.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Henry_P wrote:
Yes, I literally just noticed this then read your post. I'll try lubing mine and see where it ends. I don't see any obvious scratches or drag marks.

Update: So far oiling and working the action has not improved the sound or feel. More info to add as well, my pivot needs to be fairly tight in order to eliminate side to side blade movement. Likely these are related.
Last edited by JRinFL on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Depending on what you use to apply oil/lube, sometimes applying a drop directly into one of the 3 holes onto the washer solves the problem without having to take the knife apart.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 am
Henry_P wrote:
Yes, I literally just noticed this then read your post. I'll try lubing mine and see where it ends. I don't see any obvious scratches or drag marks.

Update: So far oiling and working the action has not improved the sound or feel. More info to add as well, my pivot needs to be fairly tight in order to eliminate side to side blade movement. Likely these are related.

I took the entire knife apart and thoroughly wiped down all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and reassembled making sure to put KPL on the detent and the track it rides on. I still have a scratching noise. I don’t know if maybe there is a small burr somewhere that is causing the scratching. I am in the same situation where my pivot has to be tightened pretty much all the way to get rid of side to side blade movement. If I even back the screw out 1/16 of a turn the blade wobbles quite a bit side to side.

While it is a good looking knife, the QC is the worst of my Spydercos.

Does anyone have any experience sending in sprint runs for warranty service?
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The long wait and the over-hype by the community is amplifying these issues, well for me at least. If this were a regular stock item it would be less of an issue, but a special one-time only piece will get extra scrutiny. I don't think I'm alone in this. Am I?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:27 am
JRinFL wrote:
Henry_P wrote:

I took the entire knife apart and thoroughly wiped down all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and reassembled making sure to put KPL on the detent and the track it rides on. I still have a scratching noise. I don’t know if maybe there is a small burr somewhere that is causing the scratching. I am in the same situation where my pivot has to be tightened pretty much all the way to get rid of side to side blade movement. If I even back the screw out 1/16 of a turn the blade wobbles quite a bit side to side.

I took 600 grit stone to the edge with the notch dent and made 2-3 passess over the edges to soften them. I had scratching noise on lockbar action and dent out of the box. I have had this knife apart 4 times so far to get it smooth. I use polish and a dremel on the side of the blade at the pivot to set the drop action.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm
The long wait and the over-hype by the community is amplifying these issues, well for me at least. If this were a regular stock item it would be less of an issue, but a special one-time only piece will get extra scrutiny. I don't think I'm alone in this. Am I?

While I agree that these are special knives and everyone wants theirs to be perfect, I don’t think any knife that costs upwards of $200 should have these issues. Even my maxamet PM2 that I bought at last years seconds sale has a smoother action than my shaman.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Henry_P wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Henry_P wrote:

Allright keep in mind I can only comment on my knife but...

Do you guys have any other shamans?

Mine does have a slight scratching noise as well. It doesnt bother me. In fact I will bet that it goes away with use.

The QC is on par with all my other shamans and Golden made knives, as in its very good.

The compression lock pivot action is like that on all my other shamans. Its one of my biggest complaints about the design, they are a p.i.t.a. to tune perfectly. If you are off by a hair the action wont be right. I did notice on my older shamans once the knife breaks in more the action seems to be easier to tune.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Henry_P wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Henry_P wrote:

Play around with it more. Back both pivot screws out a few turns, then dial them back in. There is a very fine balance of blade drop and blade play. I like my blades to just barely fall when I press the lock, then I shut them with a quick downward flick of the wrist while holding in the lock and the blade swings closed in a controlled manner. If you can dial in to this level, there should be little to no blade play. If you want the blade to fall and swing freely like a guillotine it is going to be difficult to eliminate all traces of side to side blade play. The tolerances are so tight that the margin for error is like 1/100th of a turn of the pivot screw, and playing around with which side of the pivot you tighten the screw on can make a difference. It doesn't sound like a warranty issue at all. I also hear a slight scratching noise and the centering is not 50/50 perfect, but neither of these things are warranty issues in my eyes either. I have had well over 100 Spydercos at this point and I have NEVER returned one or sent one in for warranty. I always tighten the body and clip screws and dial the action in to my liking and adjust the centering when possible. Nothing has been bad enough to warrant a return or warranty service. Adjust it, carry it, use it. It is a $200 production folder, not a $2000 custom.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Mine is quite smooth but mine came with a scratch like others have mentioned here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88888&p=1495355&hil ... h#p1495355

This is my second brand new knife purchase in a row from Spyderco that has had a blemished blade.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Allright keep in mind I can only comment on my knife but...

Do you guys have any other shamans?

Mine does have a slight scratching noise as well. It doesnt bother me. In fact I will bet that it goes away with use.

The QC is on par with all my other shamans and Golden made knives, as in its very good.

The compression lock pivot action is like that on all my other shamans. Its one of my biggest complaints about the design, they are a p.i.t.a. to tune perfectly. If you are off by a hair the action wont be right. I did notice on my older shamans once the knife breaks in more the action seems to be easier to tune.
I have a Tree-REX shaman and would say fit and finish looks better on the Z-wear. Action wise the Tree-Rex was much better out of the box. Tree-Rex didn't get taken apart for at least a month. Hands down z-wear shaman is the worst out of the box action of all my spydercos. Now my new tanto pm2 is perfect, grind, action and centering. Its a hit and miss, as of lately for my purchases.

I should admit my other z-wear shaman (I have two) hasn't been out of the box... Very tempted to see but I am not currently at home...
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm
Henry_P wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Henry_P wrote:

Play around with it more. Back both pivot screws out a few turns, then dial them back in. There is a very fine balance of blade drop and blade play. I like my blades to just barely fall when I press the lock, then I shut them with a quick downward flick of the wrist while holding in the lock and the blade swings closed in a controlled manner. If you can dial in to this level, there should be little to no blade play. If you want the blade to fall and swing freely like a guillotine it is going to be difficult to eliminate all traces of side to side blade play. The tolerances are so tight that the margin for error is like 1/100th of a turn of the pivot screw, and playing around with which side of the pivot you tighten the screw on can make a difference. It doesn't sound like a warranty issue at all. I also hear a slight scratching noise and the centering is not 50/50 perfect, but neither of these things are warranty issues in my eyes either. I have had well over 100 Spydercos at this point and I have NEVER returned one or sent one in for warranty. I always tighten the body and clip screws and dial the action in to my liking and adjust the centering when possible. Nothing has been bad enough to warrant a return or warranty service. Adjust it, carry it, use it. It is a $200 production folder, not a $2000 custom.

I can relate to the scratching noises after i had solved the side-to-side blade play. Taking the knife apart again and oil the path where the compression lock hits the back of the blade solved the problem. First i thought the blade was hitting the micarta scales. Turned out i had it all wrong and just used to little oil on the usual friction places.

The blade play can be eliminated completely. I have an almost fall shut blade now with no side-to-side play. Takes some patience though and tolerances are indeed very tight.