Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:07 pm
Amazing the difference in the look of the micarta after natural use, just some grime and hand oils!

*I'm not a hoarder, Z-Wear model is in the mail now*

Resized_20210221_212752_440581545204730.jpeg
Guess which look I prefer... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

My z-wear was in the mail today. Nice knife but both my z wear and rex45 shaman have vertical play. Tried tightening etc but still more than I like. I checked a few pm2s I have, for comparison, and they only had a tiny amount. My 5 manix have none (diff lock i know). Maybe it'll work itself out as the lock wears in?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

CPM Cruwear model with Sage LW with micarta scales.

PXL_20210222_231313428sm.jpg
Otreese

Post by Otreese »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 pm
My z-wear was in the mail today. Nice knife but both my z wear and rex45 shaman have vertical play. Tried tightening etc but still more than I like. I checked a few pm2s I have, for comparison, and they only had a tiny amount. My 5 manix have none (diff lock i know). Maybe it'll work itself out as the lock wears in?
I just sent my z-wear back for the same reason. Had side to side play on top of it.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 pm
If you have vertical blade play, (up and down) the knife has problems. horizontal (side to side) can be adjusted with the pivot screws to an extent.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Got mine, worst action of all my Spyderco out of the box. Actually squeaked and was very gritty. Had to complete strip the thing and give it a once over.

Why the step on the lock surface of the blade? Makes the compression lock feel clanky. Mine feel much better after running a stone over the step edge to take the hard edge off.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Albertaboyscott

****. Was hoping not to have to send back. Im up in canada and have had spyderco blades seized at the border. You know......we'll import 400 000 sks rifles without issue but not a knife with a hole in the blade! I'll contact spyderco and see what can be done.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:26 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm
Got mine in today after the deep freeze delay. This is my first shaman and I’m pretty happy with it. Now that I’ve compared it to my jade m4 manix xl, I’m going to keep the shaman and sell the manix xl. The xl is is nice but the shaman, even though the blade is beefier and the knife is heavier, just fits my hand better and feels more refined.
Hah, I feel the opposite. I expected to like the Shamans handle better than the Manix XL, but that wasn't the case.

I'm hanging on to my Shaman for now though. Maybe down the road I'll have a change of heart and decide to put it in my pocket.
Both are beautiful knives that feel very different in the hand.

I gave the Manix XL a shot since I love the Manix 2 so much. Turns out it's definitely not great for small hands - I could barely reach the cbbl! Luckily the Shaman is a much better big knife for my hand size, and so I now have several. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am
****. Was hoping not to have to send back. Im up in canada and have had spyderco blades seized at the border. You know......we'll import 400 000 sks rifles without issue but not a knife with a hole in the blade! I'll contact spyderco and see what can be done.
So when your checking for the vertical play I assume you can see the compression lock moving back and forth on the tang? Honestly curious because I've never had a comp lock with any kind of vertical play
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 am
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am
So when your checking for the vertical play I assume you can see the compression lock moving back and forth on the tang? Honestly curious because I've never had a comp lock with any kind of vertical play
I am also curious about this. I also have never had a comp lock with vertical play.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have the tiniest, and I mean tiny, amount of vertical play in mine. You can just detect the movement. Unless proven otherwise, I'm going to consider it to be a non-issue. Neither of my Shamans (Z-Wear & S30V) are "drop-shut-y" if I adjust the pivot to eliminate side to side play. That's a bigger concern to me, but not one that I find critical either.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Double checked mine and its solid. swings shut super easy too.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 pm
Double checked mine and its solid. swings shut super easy too.
Sounds like my Cru-carta and 4V Shamans. They're both solid and the blade swings closed on both but the 4V takes a little more effort. Sorry to hear others might have some minor issues
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Albertaboyscott

Thanks for the advice. I'll check again tonight to see if the lock is moving. I have 14 compression lock knives and only a pm3 and my two shaman have this issue. Arrying my s110 pm2 now and is rock solid. If you stick the tip of my shaman in the edge of my coffee table and wiggle up and down, it actually "clicks". I wanna take it apart and clean etc but don't want to void warranty if it needs to go back. Push comes to shove ill talk to my dealer and have it sent back through them. At least canada border won't seize it.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've got side to side play in mine (first Shaman) and kind of bummed about it seeing as all my other compression lock knives, PM2, Para 3, Yo2, Lil Native, don't have any at all......

But of course this one is a Sprint and if you send it in you're probably not getting it back. Sucks
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 pm
But of course this one is a Sprint and if you send it in you're probably not getting it back. Sucks
I'm curious, why do you say that? Would Spyderco just refund you without fixing the issue or sending a new knife? Have you heard of this happening, or experienced yourself?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Got mine today

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm
Got mine today

Give those things some pocket time!! People are losing their minds trying to get these knives, and you even have the OG model spotless. You'll never understand the model and materials if you don't get it in your pocket from time to time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MFlovejp wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 pm
I'm curious, why do you say that? Would Spyderco just refund you without fixing the issue or sending a new knife? Have you heard of this happening, or experienced yourself?
They would definitely fix it if possible. I just sent in an exclusive Manix model for a warranty issue and they fixed it no problem. I think what he's saying is that if the knife can't be fixed, then they won't have a replacement for you. All they can do is refund you (or send it back as it was).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

My Shaman arrived at customs office on the 15th - and is still there. :mad: I really really hate how slow they are..... :mad:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...