Locks and loose pocket carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Locks and loose pocket carry

Post by Catamount123 »

I regularly carry :spyder: s loose in my pocket (sans clip). I only do this with backlocks, as they are the only ones I trust to not accidentally open in my pocket. Fortunately, I’ve never had a serious cut or injury from accidental pocket opening of a non-backlock. I've had enough close calls to know it’s not a good idea, though!
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Re: Locks and loose pocket carry

Post by Wartstein »

There is only one Spydie that I carry loose in the pocket and that's the Chap... perhaps one of the safest of the safe ones ;) : Very firm backlock and very light blade, tip pretty deep between the scales (not likely to get caught somewhere).
Clipped I had never come any Spyderco locktype come open in the pocket, but I too think the backlock has to be the safest in that regard. The CBBL is not bad either though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I only carry back locks or an Urban or UKPK in my pocket, especially if there is anything else in there with the knife. Other locks need not apply.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Generally, I only carry small backlocks loose in the pocket.

Although, I wouldn't have a problem with something like the Rhino. It was tiny, had a tight detent and the blade was mostly encompassed by the handle.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

For the small Spyderco's, I carry a Ladybug on my key chain in my pocket and maybe a Roadie on the loose. Haven't had any issues with those yet. With anything bigger than that I've always used the clips to carry on the pocket. Years ago I carried a Delica 1 in an under the seat bag on my bike without any issues.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Carried the Caribbean once while going on a run clipped to the pocket of my cargo pants, it opened up fully and cut a 3 inch opening in pocket. Looked down and saw the blade swinging back and forth outside my pocket while still clipped. Not the best choice for a running knife. Thank the Lord I wasn't slashed. Since then only locks with a strong bias towards close while doing these types of activities.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only lock type I’ll carry down in-pocket is a back lock. Right now it’s a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, which I carry loose down in my pocket. But I’ve also done it with an E4 when I didn’t want to clip it.

The only thing you have to do is regularly check the well of the lock for any lint buildup that may interfere with the lock fully engaging.

Many years ago, I carried a small Buck 500 series drop point lock back down in-pocket. Same idea.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I've carried many knives with NO lock in my pocket! :eek: ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

At least slip joint's have a closing bias, and opinels lock closed
Knives with open back construction should be kept away from coins and keys
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 am
I've carried many knives with NO lock in my pocket! :eek: ;)

Same here. I still always have an SAK on me, regardless of what other knife I may be carrying. I’ve carried some type of SAK for over 40 years, and will never NOT carry one.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

While I've had some full sized folders with detent based locks open while clipped to my pocket, I've somehow managed a perfect record with deep pocket carry.

I took the clip off my Spin the first week I owned it and have carried it clipless since then. Used to carry it quite a bit too.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have had knives open in my pocket, one resulted in a pocket slash that somehow avoided any flesh, on was a minor finger poke. I wish I could remember which knife caused those as that would help the eventual repeat.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Carried a SAK once or twice, the tendency to end up horizomtally in the pocket frustrated me so much I started carrying exclusively knives with clips.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:07 pm
Carried a SAK once or twice, the tendency to end up horizomtally in the pocket frustrated me so much I started carrying exclusively knives with clips.
TEC suspenesion clips solve that.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The only Spydie I’ve had open in the bottom of a pocket is my Bradley Air, a loose-pocket model, and it got me.

Very weak detent.

Once bitten, twice shy. Tightened the pivot. Problem solved for me. Fast blade-deployment of a Gent’s is just not a worry for me.

As another data-point, I’ve never had any of numerous SAK models open in a pocket during 50 years of daily carry.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

The beauty of a modern day folding pocket knife is that they come with pocket clips, lol. Never understood the desire to carry clipless. The only one I carry clipless is the Vic Classic SAK in my jeans coin pocket.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I carry my Spydiechef loose in my pocket. I took the pocket clip off almost soon as I got my first one. First I like carrying loose in my pocket because nobody will see a pocket clip or a portion of my pocket knife sticking up out of my pocket. Second it make it harder for somebody to steal my knife straight from my pocket. I know of cheap and really expensive knives stolen straight from peoples pocket without them realizing it until they go to reach for their pocket knife. When it comes to self defense I conceal carry a sidearm and fixed blade for that purpose. If for some reason I only have my pocket knife then my first line of defense which is my environmental awareness will let me know if I need to get out of the area and/or stage my pocket knife in my hand. The third reason I carry loose in my pocket is because I like the way the knife feels in my hand without a pocket clip on it. I have never found a pocket clip I liked so I just don't use them.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:30 pm
The beauty of a modern day folding pocket knife is that they come with pocket clips, lol. Never understood the desire to carry clipless. The only one I carry clipless is the Vic Classic SAK in my jeans coin pocket.

Well, Mike Slayer gives perfect reasons for carrying clipless in the post above mine.
Though I don´t like to carry a folder unclipped too.

Reason and scenario when I do it anyway (but still don´t actually remove the clip!): Risk of loosing the knife when hiking and mountaineering! Happened two times to me (a beloved blue Endura and equally beloved Stretch 1 :( ), I think doing very high steps when uphill hiking or climbing could work the knife out of the pocket over time...
So what I do now is:
1.) If my mountaineering pants happen to have zippered pockets I throw the knife in there and close the pocket (most times it is the Chap then)
2.) I bend all the pocket clips of knives I carry in the mountains so that they have stronger retention
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm pretty sure Deacon only carriers loose at the bottom of his back pocket. Lot's folks carry that way.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:14 pm
I bend all the pocket clips of knives I carry
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin