Question about selling older spyderco’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh502

Question about selling older spyderco’s

Post by Josh502 »

So I have a few Spyderco’s that I’m thinking about selling and I didn’t know the best place to list them. EBay? Gunbroker? I thought maybe someone on here might be able to tell me. The knives are all new, not carried first runs but the draw back is I only have a box for one of them, they were kept in a bag with individual compartments not in the boxes, don’t ask me why I did that but I’ve had these knives for so long I don’t know where the other boxes are. Anyhow hopefully someone can give me an idea of what the best site to list them on is, thanks

The knives are...
*EDITED - Specific models not needed - TazKristi**
Wartstein

Re: Question about selling older spyderco’s

Post by Wartstein »

Josh502 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:43 pm
So I have a few Spyderco’s that I’m thinking about selling and I didn’t know the best place to list them. EBay? Gunbroker? I thought maybe someone on here might be able to tell me. The knives are all new, not carried first runs but the draw back is I only have a box for one of them, they were kept in a bag with individual compartments not in the boxes, don’t ask me why I did that but I’ve had these knives for so long I don’t know where the other boxes are. Anyhow hopefully someone can give me an idea of what the best site to list them on is, thanks

The knives are...

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don´t know a lot about selling knives online, especially in the US.
Let me be honest though and no offense meant:
Perhaps it would be better to delete which models you exactly have for sale!
I am certain this was not your intention (!), but it could look like you´d try to sell them here ;).. and, luckily, this forum is not the place for that.

Good luck anyway with selling the knives.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You're going to be getting A LOT of PM's about a couple of those knives haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 am
You're going to be getting A LOT of PM's about a couple of those knives haha!

Yep, that´s what I tried to say in my previous post: Kind of a knife-selling-attempt on the forum, though I am sure it was not meant like that.
And it is no problem once imho, but should better not get the standard (my 2c, I don´t want to act like an admin or moderator here by any means of course). NOT listing which knives are for sale would be the better approach when asking such a question.

The "no sales / no politics / no religion" rule is a very good one in my book, and helps the forum to remain the great place it is. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum Josh.

I'd say that eBay is better than gunbroker.

You can also sell knives on Bladeforums (I think it requires a paid membership, but you'd be paying for eBay sales anyway), and there are lots of Facebook and Reddit groups for knife sales and trades as well.
Josh502

Post by Josh502 »

Sorry about that and thanks for fixing it for me. I figured ebay but I honestly don’t go on there much anymore there just seems to be a lot of knock off items anymore. I’ve never joined this forum but I’ve read a lot on it over the years when searching for something. I used to care a lot more about knives but I had some stolen along with some watches etc and I just lost interest in both. These were some of the survivors that they didn’t find along with a few others. I’ll never carry them so I thought I’d just let them go because someone will probably enjoy them. I’m still gonna keep the 9/11, endura that was run over in Mosul, oif/oef native “raffle” knife which I thought was absolutely awesome that it was mailed to me in Tikrit.... the ones I’m keeping are more for memories.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

If they are rare knives probably eBay will net you the most, even after fees. Folks on Bladeforums tend to want to pay 70-80% of eBay sold prices in my experience, so even though you aren't paying fees, you still would get more net profit from eBay in most cases. Bladeforums is good though if you want to make a very quick sale and have money in your PayPal account ASAP. Just remember that you probably won't be able to get as much as you see them sell for on eBay. You should probably buy a Gold membership to Bladeforums as well if you have a lot to sell on there so you can communicate via private messages.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

ebay is also a much wider audience than blade forums

There's also the reddit buy/sell - but some of those guys have high expectations
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

There’s a Spyderco group on Facebook where you can sell your knives. Don’t confuse it with the “official” Spyderco group, where selling is not allowed.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it is a desirable knife you will likely do best on EBay. I have had some auctions get a little crazy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Josh502

Post by Josh502 »

I appreciate the responses and I wasn’t really trying to sell them on here, I’m not really sure what to even ask for them to be honest. Sounds like it’s eBay time. Oh I saw sal posted, thanks for the oif/oef native that was sent to me in Tikrit years ago! Not getting rid of that one, ever!

Years ago I bought knives pretty regularly and it was pretty crushing when most of them were stolen because it was stuff that was hard to find in production and most of them were way out of production. The adjuster even called me to negotiate values because he couldn’t find them for sale, even on eBay to be able to value some of them. He pretty much went with what I thought they would cost at the time if I were to find them. Basically I knew I’d never have them again and the air was out of my balloon. Since then any knife I’ve bought has been used as a tool and I’d rather someone appreciate having them even if they are daily carried than me beat on them. I’d rather destroy something in production that I can just order another of. These are just the spydercos I still have. I’ve been selling off the others I had left slowly in different places. Life has changed a lot recently and I’ve been taking a more minimalistic approach. Actually over the past few months I’ve given probably 2/3 of my clothes to the houseless community and sold off a lot of the things I don’t use or can’t remember the last time I used them.