2021 Forum Knife Wishlist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wantashaman

2021 Forum Knife Wishlist

Post by Wantashaman »

Spyderco Fans,
Unless I am mistaken, it doesn't appear that there was a Spyderco forum knife for 2020. I guess that's par for the course for last year ;) but since it's 2021, I wanted to start a new discussion on your favorite knife. If you could create or build a knife, what would it be and why.
If I could create a Spyderco knife for Forum members it would be the Shaman with a green/brown/grey micarta handle with k390 or Cruwear steel. I even be willing to contribute some cash to a Kickstarter fund to make this happen. What would you like to see this year?
TkoK83Spy

Re: 2021 Forum Knife Wishlist

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's already a few threads about requesting a forum knife floating around the past month or two. The Shaman is too big to be carried legally, universally for all members of the forum. A lot of people don't want a knife that big anyways (I have 3 and wouldn't be against it) but it's a slim to none chance.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

The last thread was a riot and no consensus was ever agreed upon LOL.

I eventually did not follow the thread, due to 7 pages of discussions and semi-arguments and no common agreed upon model. I know, many wanted a UKPK but they still could not even agree on the blade shape alone. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:18 pm
There's already a few threads about requesting a forum knife floating around the past month or two. The Shaman is too big to be carried legally, universally for all members of the forum. A lot of people don't want a knife that big anyways (I have 3 and wouldn't be against it) but it's a slim to none chance.
Last one was pm2 so it is possible right? That would be a neat one but the price would be an issue for some for sure. Make it in micarta and the problem maybe less
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:31 pm
The last thread was a riot and no consensus was ever agreed upon LOL.

I eventually did not follow the thread, due to 7 pages of discussions and semi-arguments and no common agreed upon model. I know, many wanted a UKPK but they still could not even agree on the blade shape alone. :D
Are they going to make the damascus ukpk. I remember voting on that. They picked leaf for it as almost no one seemed to want drop. Then I argued that it's not that difficult to just make both since it's just a laser cnc program cutting blades out but maybe I'm missing something. Then again for a forum blade might need to be one shape.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:18 pm
The Shaman is too big to be carried legally, universally for all members of the forum. A lot of people don't want a knife that big anyways
Not 100% universal ;)
:unicorn
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If Spyderco only sold forum knives to those on the forum the membership here would grow exponentially. I think because people have strong opinions about existing models, perhaps a new model is the better option as a forum knife and then we could banter about it for a year until the next one and so on, and so on...
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Many of us were looking for something that could be purchased by the majority of the members, here. In the UK and in Europe knife laws are a lot more restrictive. They are in other parts of the world, too. We have many members from Europe, Asia, and Southeast Asia who would like to have a chance at getting a forum knife. It needs to be affordable because of exchange rates.

If I had the money and could drop ship, I would order an exclusive from Spyderco for everyone. But, alas, I am not made out of money.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A great option that we did not have last year is the Li'l Native slip joint. That might be interesting. It is Golden Made, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Great point Doc Dan. A Lil Native slipjoint in SPY27 or S90V would be cool.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:03 pm
A great option that we did not have last year is the Li'l Native slip joint. That might be interesting. It is Golden Made, too.
TenGrainBread wrote: Great point Doc Dan. A Lil Native slipjoint in SPY27 or S90V would be cool.
I think in the last, pretty recent thread on a forum knife 2021 there was of course no real consensus once more. Such is just impossible to achieve imho, given the very different interests, preferences, varying local laws and so on, combined with the great, but still limited options this forum offers just by being, well, an internet forum. The overall structure is great for discussions, but just can´t be for reaching a consensus.

But, that being said: As far as I can recall there STILL was at least a surprisingly strong tendency towards a nice UKPK. .
And this model would make a lot of sense in my opinion (and this comes from a guy who is neither into small nor into non locking folders!):
Legal in many places, and in many ways really a true "spyderco-ish" performance oriented knife:
Light, looks to have great ergos, has the wire clip that many like (and is imho nice on small folders), small enough that most will use the choil anyway which makes a lock not really important anyway and last but not least: A thin, performance oriented blade that offers enough cutting edge to be pretty versatile!
So, in a nutshell: Both "nice" AND a really optimized cutting tool!

And now, my friends Doc and TenGrainBread, that´s why I quoted you with all due respect (and it starts to show again that consensus is so hard to achieve! ;) ):
The Lil Native is one of the few Spydies that I find really cool in a way, but would not want to carry as a cutting tool :o
In a way the "opposite" of the UKPK: For its weight and bulky form it offers little cutting edge, in a (for me) really fat, overbuilt blade for such a small knife....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Production (non-sprint) Endela Salt.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

How about a PM2 Tanto :)
Ric

Post by Ric »

To make things easier we can do a
+ forum knife Europe
+ forum knife USA
+ forum knife world legal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:58 am
+ forum knife Europe
+ forum knife USA

.... and a special "forum knife Austria".. since pretty much everything is legal here it could be a re-run of the Tatanka with an red- white-red handle (edit: the colors of our flag)... :D (I know, that would be NOT your kind of knife Ric ;) )
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

A Slysz Bowie... please ? :( :( :(

Outside of my dream knife, a FRN PM2 and an updated Delica (wire clip, metal back spacer ala native chief, a little chamfering on the top of the blade...).
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:15 am
Ric wrote:
+ forum knife Europe
+ forum knife USA

.... and a special "forum knife Austria".. since pretty much everything is legal here it could be a re-run of the Tatanka with an red- white-red handle... :D (I know, that would be NOT your kind of knife Ric ;) )
I'm sitting here debating whether I should feel selfish for wanting a knife that fits my size preference or annoyed that laws I've never been bound by could determine what we get.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Ric wrote:
+ forum knife Europe
+ forum knife USA

.... and a special "forum knife Austria".. since pretty much everything is legal here it could be a re-run of the Tatanka with an red- white-red handle... :D (I know, that would be NOT your kind of knife Ric ;) )
I'm sitting here debating whether I should feel selfish for wanting a knife that fits my size preference or annoyed that laws I've never been bound by could determine what we get.

Ditto. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Ric wrote:

.... and a special "forum knife Austria".. since pretty much everything is legal here it could be a re-run of the Tatanka with an red- white-red handle (edit: the colors of our flag)... :D (I know, that would be NOT your kind of knife Ric ;) )

Well, Vivi, I am sitting here and asking my self the two questions I always have about the forum knife.

1.) Is it a user for most people or more a collectors piece?

I personally would not keep a knife I don´t carry and use, and actually would enjoy doing so even more with a forum knife.
But, and I´d totally respect that, IF most people see a forum knife as a collectors safe queen: Size and legality would not matter really anymore (and we could get a large one :D )

2. (and a bit related to 1.) IF there are restricting laws: Do people want a forum knife that is a legal carry, or still the for them coolest model, even if they could only carry it "illegaly" or just at home?

I certainly would still want my favorite, large folder, even if it was not legal. But then, tbh I would generally not always stick to a totally legal carry if laws restricted me. Just not use the knife too openly.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@Wartstein
The American Bison knife has a blade thickness of 4mm and 260g. You can wear it only with a knickerbocker.

I prefer an austrian calf.
2mm 80g. If the shape is like a Para 3 I would not say no ;)