bevelled Spydie hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mitchwalcott

bevelled Spydie hole?

Post by mitchwalcott »

I apologize if this has already been discussed. (I could not find anything within the forum on this.)

Would it be possible to put a tiny bevel in the Spydie hole, or would the tolerance not allow for this?

My thought was that if this was possible, it might feel just a tad bit more comfortable. Although, I am not sure if this would make it harder to open, like if your thumb would slip off easier.
Sharp Guy

Re: bevelled Spydie hole?

Post by Sharp Guy »

They leave the hole sharp intentionally. It's fairly easy for the end user to break the edge using a Sharpmaker rod or similar. I prefer to leave the hole as is. I had one that was a little beveled and I didn't like it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They come sharp because it is easier to make it less sharp than it is to make it more sharp.

I think that the sharp edge gives it a little more grip on the pad of your thumb. My Sage3 came sharp enough to cut me so I did knock the edge down a little on that knife but I haven’t touched any others. I prefer them with a crisp edge.

If you want to bevel it and you think you will prefer it then go for it. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t. I bet you are not the only one who would prefer it softer.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

This has come up periodically on forums. Like Sharp Guy said, you could use a Sharpmaker rod for this, but I wouldn’t. I’ve never found the holes uncomfortable, and having a beveled hole can/will make it harder to open. I have an older model Benchmade Griptilian (the one with the sheepsfoot blade and oval hole), and its hole is beveled; it feels much less secure to open, as if my thumb might slip out.

I have read posts on forums (I don’t recall if it was here or on BF) where some people said they were afraid the hole would cut their thumbs. TBH, I’ve never felt that was even a remote possibility with the ones I own. Of course, YMMV.

Jim
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I like how the maxamet blades are done. Those seem to have smoother edges than other blade steels.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Of the 10+ Spydies I currently own, plus a few more that I've traded or gifted, only my Dragonfly 2 Salt feels like it has too sharp an edge on the opening hole. I really should pull out a Sharpmaker rod and knock that edge down a bit.
mitchwalcott

Post by mitchwalcott »

Thanks for the feedback. This makes sense to leave it the way it is. I just thought I would inquire in case it had not been brought up before.

The Spydie hole on my Native 5 SPY27 feels fine for me. I just like thinking about possible design improvements.
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

knives with the satin stonewash finish (techno 2, mcbee, paysan etc) all have nicely rounded spydieholes. The only knife I find to be too sharp in my collection is the Kapara. It always hooks and shaves bits of fingernail, and it is sharp enough to cut skin.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm
I like how the maxamet blades are done. Those seem to have smoother edges than other blade steels.
Yes, the Maxamet blades are top notch. I would love to see more of that blade finish from Spyderco.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ric

Post by Ric »

I have an old worker were the hole has a chamfer.
It's much better to have a sharp hole. It's easier to hold on and to use it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

First Generation Police.

That's how they used to do them. I've had a couple of new ones slice my thumb pretty good, but 30 seconds with a bit of fine sandpaper fixed that.

Like the sharpening notches some people champion, it's a lot easier for an end user to take a little steel off than it would be to add a little back on.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use a Dremel with a sandpaper barrel to sharpen my thumb holes and smooth out any irregularities inside the hole from cutting them out. If you just want to dull them down I'd suggest a Sharpmaker rod. You could also wrap sandpaper around a pen or something but be careful not to scratch the side of the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also like the holes as they come from the factory.

Ironically the junction has a chamfered/bevelled/(chined?) Spydiehole.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The chamfer can be done with a countersink bit and finished with sandpaper. I like the chamfer but it’s not necessary.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I love how my Taichungs, especially the Slysz Techno 2 and Swayback, have ohhh-so-comfortable rounded edge spydieholes. Not all Taichungs are finished this way though. Currently fiddling with my Swayback as I type and the finish is just spectacular.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

A Dremel with a small felt buffing wheel, does a great job, just did my resilience.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I use a fine sharpmaker rod to smooth out the round hole on my first Spyderco, a Stretch. Have never bothered since.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

My first Endura SE purchased in 1990 felt very sharp to my thumb.
I had a set of Cratex abrasive wheels, cones and rods.
They chamfered the edge and polished smooth the interior of the hole.
It felt luxurious and added a ring of gleam to the toothy blade.

I'm a sucker for eye candy such as serrated blades, swedges and hollow grinds.
But I must confess I have not polished my other opening holes.

When using a Sharpmaker rod, take care to have the groove up, out of the hole.
Otherwise it can scratch up the blade. Don't ask me how I know this.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
carrot

Post by carrot »

There is one company that uses the Spyderhole, let's not get into verbiage around "uses" vs. other potential word choices, but:

They bevel the Spyderhole super smooth and it makes for the worst possible user experience. Do not buy, do not pass Go, do not collect 200$. So hard to open.
simyo

Post by simyo »

I’ve noticed it also depends on the blade grinds as well for ffg the hole is angled with the blade grind. For some with a saber the hole feels different. I can’t tell if I like a chamfered hole like early spydercos or not due to the models that I have having a smaller diameter spydie hole.