Broken ukpk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Millard85

Broken ukpk

Post by Millard85 »

Hi. The back spring on one of my ukpk’s has snapped 😭. I tried contacting spyderco a few times about possibly buying the spare part but had no luck. I don’t want to throw it away as it’s been a good knife especially considering the harsh carry laws here in the uk. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas how to get hold of the spares
Many Thanks Chris
sal

Re: Broken ukpk

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your loss. You'll have to contact Spyderco Customer Service. There were several variations and improvements made on the UK over the years. We don't know which one you have?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Just contact Customer Service. They will probably want you to send the knife in as there have been several upgrades, as Sal pointed out. I know it is a pain to do that and it might cost a bit. I'd use DHL and get an exact weight and price, first, instead of a broad cost. DHL, from this side of the world, is a lot cheaper than UPS or FEDex. The mail takes forever.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Maybe they can tell the right version by date code on the box, or some models have date on the blade near pivot.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum, Millard! :)

Yes, Spydercos customer services is great as I can tell from personal experience!
But, since I am from Europe like you are: I know that actually sending a knife to the US can be quite a hazzle, especially in this (corona-) times. When I needed customer service, I did not actually have to send in a knife, but just had them send screws to me.

Sometimes I wish Spyderco would have some kind of "repair and warranty"-center here in Europe (and, of course if possible in other continents too!). But I am sure they already thought about this and there are things to consider that I am not aware of and which make this not a real possibility
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:21 am
Sometimes I wish Spyderco would have some kind of "repair and warranty"-center here in Europe
It would be natural to set one up in Amsterdam what with Spyderco's usually-annual conference in the city.
Cannachris

Post by Cannachris »

Mine has just broken on the ukpk salt. Gutted. I live in the uk and hope a spare can be sent out.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Cannachris:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I am very sorry to hear about your UKPK Salt. Please take photos of the broken part and email them to our Customer Service department at customerservice@spyderco.com so they can assist you.

Stay safe,

Mike
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m sorry to hear of back springs breaking on the UKPK, and I’m surprised to hear it happened on a UKPK Salt. I think I’ve read on the forum about other examples of back springs on the UKPK breaking. It sounds like the back spring is the Achilles’ heel of the UKPK design. Not that it’s a common occurrence, but...

Jim