Fish Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Fish Hunter

Post by Josh Crutchley »

What type of grind does the Fish Hunter have? It almost looks like a double edge knife. Really like the blade shape and grind but not really in to "teeth". I have a Byrd Hawkbill SE but it doesn't really compare well to other blade shapes. I like plain edge knives the most, I think that comes from not knowing how or having the tools to sharpen serations. I still don't have all the tools, I plan on getting the Sharpmaker when my budget allows. I can seen the "teeth" being useful but not so much when cleaning some types of fish. How do SE knives perform when cleaning the scales off a fish? I just see a snag fest when looking at SE blades. I do like the way some forum members round their serations off to make them less "grabby". I still would like to try H1 in PE but most people seem to advise against it. Is the Fish Hunter only in SE because of this? I see the Aqua Salt H1 in PE but really like the Fish Hunter more.
sal

Re: Fish Hunter

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

Sharpening serrations 101. Many here are Phd's. There is a lot to it. We've have some folks here that can share much on teeth and fish ( Gringo ) and some can educate you on shape ( Evil ). Lotsa knowledge and experience here. In my opinion, get a magnifying loupe about 10X - 12X, It will really make a difference in your understanding.

When I was teaching our salesmen to demonstrate the Sharpmaker ( Pitchmen ), I used to tell them that I was number 2 teacher. Loupe was number 1 teacher.

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Hi Josh,

Sharpening serrations 101. Many here are Phd's. There is a lot to it. We've have some folks here that can share much on teeth and fish ( Gringo ) and some can educate you on shape ( Evil ). Lotsa knowledge and experience here. In my opinion, get a magnifying loupe about 10X - 12X, It will really make a difference in your understanding.

When I was teaching our salesmen to demonstrate the Sharpmaker ( Pitchmen ), I used to tell them that I was number 2 teacher. Loupe was number 1 teacher.

sal
The knowledge in this forum is why I'm always coming back here. Thank you for the advice on the loupe. I seem to be squinting a lot more than I used to. I've messed around trying to sharpen my SE Byrd and it just frustrates me :mad: . I hoped it was just skill involved and I could figure it out but it seems I need to get the right tools. I'm sure someone could get SE razor sharp with little to nothing but that's not me. :( I would for sure like to try H1 SE and K390 SE so would like to have the option to sharpen high vanadium steels. Does the standard Sharpmaker handle the "super steels"?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

It is my opinion that the tool, the Sharpmaker, is really necessary to get serrations sharpened best for performance. I've not seen too many that could do it with little or nothing.

The basic Sharpmaker and the video will teach you a great deal. Additional grits are available for when you think you want to expand. We learn by standing on the shoulders of others so we can see farther. Learning is a constant process. Knowledge and experience are invisible, and can only be seen in the results of the performance.

Once you get the basics down, then you try other methods of sharpening. Sharpening on a flat stone is a skill that must be learned and experience really helps.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Hi Josh,

sal
The knowledge in this forum is why I'm always coming back here. Thank you for the advice on the loupe. I seem to be squinting a lot more than I used to. I've messed around trying to sharpen my SE Byrd and it just frustrates me :mad: . I hoped it was just skill involved and I could figure it out but it seems I need to get the right tools. I'm sure someone could get SE razor sharp with little to nothing but that's not me. :( I would for sure like to try H1 SE and K390 SE so would like to have the option to sharpen high vanadium steels. Does the standard Sharpmaker handle the "super steels"?
All of the advice Sal gave is 100% on the money. I use the standard brown medium rods to finish PE K390 and I've never had any issues.

This thread may give you some additional instruction: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Josh, just to encourage you to get a sharpmaker for sharpening SE (and PE too of course):
I am really not the worlds best in sharpening, bur on the SM sharpening SE is really no problem for me, and not harder than sharpen PE at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 pm
Josh, just to encourage you to get a sharpmaker for sharpening SE (and PE too of course):
I am really not the worlds best in sharpening, bur on the SM sharpening SE is really no problem for me, and not harder than sharpen PE at all.
What version is the best for serations? I plan on getting a sharpmaker next week.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 pm
What version is the best for serations? I plan on getting a sharpmaker next week.

Josh, I am not sure you know what you mean:

As far as I know there is only one version of the Sharpmaker, and that´s what I´d highly recommend!
Spyderco has other sharpening devices of course (Gauntlet, Golden Stone...) but I´ve never used those. Perhaps the cat-eye shape of the Gauntlet could potentially be even better for sharpening SE, but I don´t think so or at least don´t know.
The Sharpmaker is used by several "SE pros" here like David and Vivi (you could certainly pm them if you have questions or ask it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544), so it must be good and offers the widest selection of grits (and again, I am really happy with my own results with the SM on SE too!)

If you´re asking for what RODS you should get: The white (fine) and brown (medium) rod it comes with are perfectly suited for keeping SE sharp. But for reprofiling (not only SE) I´d highly recommend the CBN or diamond rods. I never had the diamonds, so I can´t compare, but the CBN work perfectly fine for me (it could be - just a guess - that the diamonds cut even a tad better, but the CBNS are a tad more durable - ?!)

I personally would have no use for the extra-fine rods for the edges I like. Actually, I often times even don´t use the whites, but just the browns. But that´s just me, and what YOU want highly depends on what edges you prefer. But to get an edge "just" really sharp, the ultra fines are not needed imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:30 am

Josh, I am not sure you know what you mean:

As far as I know there is only one version of the Sharpmaker, and that´s what I´d highly recommend!
Spyderco has other sharpening devices of course (Gauntlet, Golden Stone...) but I´ve never used those. Perhaps the cat-eye shape of the Gauntlet could potentially be even better for sharpening SE, but I don´t think so or at least don´t know.
The Sharpmaker is used by several "SE pros" here like David and Vivi (you could certainly pm them if you have questions or ask it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544), so it must be good and offers the widest selection of grits (and again, I am really happy with my own results with the SM on SE too!)

If you´re asking for what RODS you should get: The white (fine) and brown (medium) rod it comes with are perfectly suited for keeping SE sharp. But for reprofiling (not only SE) I´d highly recommend the CBN or diamond rods. I never had the diamonds, so I can´t compare, but the CBN work perfectly fine for me (it could be - just a guess - that the diamonds cut even a tad better, but the CBNS are a tad more durable - ?!)

I personally would have no use for the extra-fine rods for the edges I like. Actually, I often times even don´t use the whites, but just the browns. But that´s just me, and what YOU want highly depends on what edges you prefer. But to get an edge "just" really sharp, the ultra fines are not needed imho.
I wasn't sure if there was multiple versions or not. I guess I was thinking about all the different rods available.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
I wasn't sure if there was multiple versions or not. I guess I was thinking about all the different rods available.

No, "just" one version of the Sharpmaker. Comes with fine (white) and medium (brown) rods and is perfectly suited for keeping knives sharp.
For repairing major damages or reprofiling get the CBN or diamond rods. I am sure you will eventually anyway, so why not right now? ;)
I personally (with the edges I like) would have no use for the ultra-fine rods. But that´s just me.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Perhaps the cat-eye shape of the Gauntlet could potentially be even better for sharpening SE, but I don´t think so or at least don´t know.
I might have some data on that soon enough. Accidentally ordered the wrong CBN rods and got cat-eyed shaped rods :(
Not a big deal for what I’m planning to use CBN for, so decided to keep them rather than go through a tedious return process.

Of course, being a noob on triangle rods also, the data I can provide for Gauntlet rods on SE might not be worth much :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
I might have some data on that soon enough. Accidentally ordered the wrong CBN rods and got cat-eyed shaped rods :(
Not a big deal for what I’m planning to use CBN for, so decided to keep them rather than go through a tedious return process.

Of course, being a noob on triangle rods also, the data I can provide for Gauntlet rods on SE might not be worth much :rolleyes:

I´d really appreciate if you could share experiences with cat eyed shaped rods on SE!
Perhaps even in a dedicated thread or in Vivis thread "compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544)?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:27 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:27 am
Wartstein wrote:

I´d really appreciate if you could share experiences with cat eyed shaped rods on SE!
Perhaps even in a dedicated thread or in Vivis thread "compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544)?
I'll certainly try, but I feel the bar is set very high in here, so you might want to keep your expectations under control.
No matter my skill level though, it would obviously have been beneficial if I had some experience with triangle CBN rods as well, as far as comparing them goes.
I will certainly give them a go and share my experience, but take it for what it is. My only experience with SE sharpening so far is just light touch up on my Manbug salt and DF2 salt. The pac salt hasn't seen much use yet, but that would probably be an interesting one when the time comes.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Not to open a completely new thread, has anyone sharpened the plain side of the Fish Hunter?
As I have read, it is not sharpened by default.