Fixed Blade February

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Fixed Blade February

Post by vivi »

I'm going to test out this carry method over the weekend. Seems to be working really well so far.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

How is it for ease of access and re-sheathing?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:45 pm
How is it for ease of access and re-sheathing?
Ease of access is just fine, I reach into my pocket and my index finger finds the choil, tugs up so the edge of the sheath is level with my pocket, then I pop the sheath off with my thumb.

As long as I don't accidentally pull the sheath up too much it sits right there until I re-sheath the knife:

When I get home from my jobs tonight I'm going to switch the clip out for the mini carabiner style clip that came on my Surefire Sidekick. It grabs excessively hard, to the point I took it off the surefire and replaced it with the TEC clip when I still carried that light. That clip will work even better for this setup.

I'm enjoying this setup as is, and know after I switch clips it will work even better.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's a demo of how I'm using this setup. It's cool because it comes close to mimicking the muscle memory used for folders:

https://streamable.com/pv0v2q

Draw, cut and re-sheath quickly and easily with one hand.

Here's a clip showing how well that Surefire clip grabs on. No worries of it slipping off my pocket by accident.

https://streamable.com/ci5lgy
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Dang it Vivi you’re gonna leave me with no choice but to pick up a street beat! And you know what the real problem is? I often have to get two knives at a time in order to justify shipping to Alaska. I’m liking the SB more and more each day...
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 pm
Dang it Vivi you’re gonna leave me with no choice but to pick up a street beat! And you know what the real problem is? I often have to get two knives at a time in order to justify shipping to Alaska. I’m liking the SB more and more each day...
It's a great knife. Fits very comfortable in a pocket or on the belt. Only about 4oz with the sheath. Check the great deals thread if you decide to order some ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just checked my micarta Street Beat and it weighs bang on 4.5oz with the sheath and no clip
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

After trying my new carry setup with different types of pants I found out it doesn't stay upright perfectly in some pairs.

Added a second rope and it solved that problem. But now I have to be a little more careful when I re-sheath it.

Working on a taco style sheath meant to be carried this way. I should be able to get things a little more dialed in that way.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have seen some people use a UltiClip on FB sheaths to secure them to their pockets. It should lock into place for you, if it fits of course. It think it was the Slim 3.3 model.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:43 pm
I have seen some people use a UltiClip on FB sheaths to secure them to their pockets. It should lock into place for you, if it fits of course. It think it was the Slim 3.3 model.
I thought about using a clip like that, and I've even tried g clipping the sb to my pocket, but the advantage of the rope setup is deeper carry. Makes it a little trickier to resheath but I'd rather deala with that than have the entire handle sticking out of my pocket. Gets in the way and catches on things.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I just carry my SB in my pocket without the clip. I keep my slim wallet in my RFP, and I slip the SB sheath in down behind that. With my burt's bees in the inside corner, and my wallet and SB next to it, nothing moves around. Sometimes also have my folder clipped to RFP - but YMMV - this works for me because my pockets aren't too deep and my jeans have that stretchy elastic material in them that makes it super easy to stick my hand in there.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
I just carry my SB in my pocket without the clip. I keep my slim wallet in my RFP, and I slip the SB sheath in down behind that. With my burt's bees in the inside corner, and my wallet and SB next to it, nothing moves around. Sometimes also have my folder clipped to RFP - but YMMV - this works for me because my pockets aren't too deep and my jeans have that stretchy elastic material in them that makes it super easy to stick my hand in there.
I could see that working well.

I've been playing around with back pocket carry too. Carried on the outer side of my right rear pocket close to my hip it feels really intuitive drawing from that position.

Pocket carry is a revelation for me when it comes to EDCing fixed blades.

I feel weird in some situations carrying a fixed blade on my belt. Grocery shopping, an office meeting or dining out, it just feels out of place. But having it clipped to my front pocket just like a folder makes it so I don't even think twice about it.

(No more noticeable in my pocket than a Manix XL)

I even live somewhere where other people openly carry kabars to the grocery store and can do the same without funny looks, it just feels a little much to me.

For a long time I felt like a multitool + small fixed blade is the most versatile combo and makes more sense than a folder + multitool in a lot of ways. Never found a way to make a fixed blade really feel like an EDC 24/7.

I haven't carried and used a folder outside of the house all month and its been great. Aside from summer when I'm in running shorts I don't see myself going back to folders being my go to anytime soon.

I ordered some extra mini-carabiners, paracord and split rings. Gonna setup all my small fixed blades for pocket carry in similar fashion. Izula 2, LT Wright Frontier Valley, etc. Medium to large will still use belt carry.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I carry my Izula in pocket just like my Street Beat, but like you I sometimes like to carry a fixed blade in my back pocket. I typically just stick my larger fixed blades in my back pocket when camping as I really don't like having them on my belt, so I only do that when hiking - either that or in my pack.

ETA: I can't wait to get that new Perrin in and put that baby in my pocket.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

February went well.

Finding a comfortable carry method is definitely key.

I'm still writing my Street Beat review and the biggest section is going to be on carry methods.

Pocket carry using my paracord method works best for me for a few reasons. Just clipping to a pocket with a g clip leaves too much handle exposed, but simply dropping the sheath in the pocket makes it less secure when active and makes it tougher to re-sheath.

https://streamable.com/pv0v2q

As long as I don't have to move around too much while using the knife, the sheath stays propped up at the opening of my pocket. Even if it doesn't, I give the paracord a little tug and there it is.

My method keeps more handle concealed which keeps the knife in the pocket better and more comfortable when sitting. Drawing, cutting and sheathing is almost exactly right drawing and using a clipped folder.

One thing I was curious about for March is whether I'd go all folders or still carry fixed blades.

Five days in and its been about 50/50. Enjoyed carrying and using Pacific Salts and Manix XL's, but have also been carrying and using my Street Beat and Izula 2.

I also wondered if I'd still carry FB's as much in shorts. Using my pocket carry method, the SB has been perfectly comfortable in shorts. That's how I'm carrying it right now in fact.

Another thing I was curious about is perception.

I've written about how when I first got into Spyderco I focused on small knives like the Native, Caly 3, UKPK and Delica, largely because of "sheeple" horror stories.

I have honestly found no discernible difference in peoples reactions whether I carry a small folder like a Delica, a large folder like a Police, or an EDC sized fixed blade like the Street Beat.

YMMV, but public perception no longer factors into my carry. Laws are the only consideration I make outside of simply grabbing whatever I feel like carrying for the day.