Lil' Kapara!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: Lil' Kapara!

Post by Menipo »

Ric wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:21 pm
Looking forward to!

@jupaul
@all
Does the choil touch the finger at closing?
As it does at lil native, ...

It depends. If the finger is at the choil, the blade can't close. If you move it down but close to the choil, the blade touches the finger (but only the unsharpened part, so it is safe. If you move the finger down ... go for a bandage.
Last edited by Menipo on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Ric

Post by Ric »

To be more precise
I meant that small portion sticking out at the compression lock.
This touches the index finger at closing.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Ric wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 am
To be more precise
I meant that small portion sticking out at the compression lock.
This touches the index finger at closing.

Now I see what you meant. The Kapara is different. See the picture (not my pic - borrowed from the KnifesShipFree website)

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:03 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:11 am
I admit that I prefer liner- over comp lock generally, but on my Kapara the comp.lock was a bit awkward to use and unsafe concerning dropping the knife: Narrow handle, slick scales, small cutout for the lock tab.

I know, Alistair choose the comp.lock partly cause it is more out of the way of stuff that could gunk it up while doing food prep (and that's what he designed the Kapara for). But a smaller Kapara would be less good for food prep anyway, so pleeeaaase linerlock..
Hi Warstein,

Ali didn't choose the Compression Lock, I did. I believe Eric'a plan is to keep the Compression Lock on the smaller Kapara. The model has been very successful as it is. I believe there are even Exclusive pieces coming out. Sorry, but I don't think it would be a wise move to change the lock at this time.

Hi Julia,

I will forward your request for more space.

sal
Thanks a lot Sal for correcting me! :)

I´ve read several times that the main reason for the comp. lock was what I´ve mentioned (not as easy to get gunked up by food due to its placement at the top of the handle), but perhaps that was "just" an added bonus, not the intention...

Yes, the model is successful for a reason, I enjoyed mine a lot and sold it only cause I needed funds for an HAP 40 Stretch

If the comp. lock gets a bit "less cramped" as Julias suggests, that would solve my little issue anyway. It would be more safe than for use in harsher outdoor conditions!
Wartstein I agree that a bit more room to access the lock would be ideal. I also think more grippy scales could help a lot, too. I'm definitely interested to see what exclusives are coming out since I think textured g10 or a canvas micarta would improve the grip in general quite a bit. It's probably safe to assume the same would be true for a smaller version.
This is one of those knives that seems like The One on paper, but in hand I found it finicky and slightly difficult to find confident purchase.

I took delivery of the initial drop and wanted to love it, but found the comp lock difficult to operate in such a small space with so little purchase on the handle.
The awesome contoured CF also made the rather neutral handle shape and low profile finger guard rather scary in use with my XL hands.

When the CQI version was released I felt compelled to give it another shot, but just couldn't trust myself with it.

Im glad it was well received, and really love a lot of the design, but do hope these things are considered on the new model.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:12 am

We'll be happy friends in any case, Wartstein! You know that in order to make you happy I would vote in favour of adding a lockback even to a spoon! :D

As to your statement marked in yelow, I don't friendly agree. To the extent that a comp lock knife can be closed with the very same grip of a linerlock and the added bonus of keeping the fingers always out of the blade path, I do not see how cold, wet or greasy conditions could make a difference.

In the case of unfavourable conditions (cold, wet, etc.) I simply put the edge up and flick it towards me. The same way I do with the Millie but without the need of putting the thumb in the blade path even for a second (as I need to do with a liner). I do not know how to upload videos but I add four pictures taken during the closing the way I described (blade engaged at start before flicking the wrist, blade at 90 degrees, at 45 degrees and closed).

Tschüss, dear Wartstein!

We will! :) The spoon-thing is more than kind of you! But you don´t have to go that far: I´d like to suggest: Perhaps we can find common friendly ground in a CBBL - spoon? ;)

/ Very good points on the comp. lock in harsh conditions, even if I would not be your friend, but your foe, I´d have to admit that! :)
Still: The linerlock for me is more natural generally and in hand when closing it: No finger has to go up to the top of the handle, but all fingers remain almost in a natural "cutting" grip. Furthermore, a linerlock -"bar" is tendentially larger and easier to access (especially with gloves) than a comp. lock tab. Plus: It does not need that potential hotspot cutout on the top of the handle (like the comp.lock does)
But these are really very minor nitpicks, and with your "edge up" method the comp.lock certainly is safer in harsh conditions!
I personally just don´t need its undeniable strong point "fingers always out of the blade path", and that´s why I prefer a linerlock.

/ "Tschüss" is certainly very common in German, and very cool that you know that salutation but it is also totally "German" (as in the country of Germany) - we in Austria, speaking German, but in our own dialect would never use this as proud Austrians...;) - we´d say "servus" or something like that...

buenas tardes, mi amigo! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am

We will! :) The spoon-thing is more than kind of you! But you don´t have to go that far: I´d like to suggest: Perhaps we can find common friendly ground in a CBBL - spoon? ;)

/ Very good points on the comp. lock in harsh conditions, even if I would not be your friend, but your foe, I´d have to admit that! :)
Still: The linerlock for me is more natural generally and in hand when closing it: No finger has to go up to the top of the handle, but all fingers remain almost in a natural "cutting" grip. Furthermore, a linerlock -"bar" is tendentially larger and easier to access (especially with gloves) than a comp. lock tab. Plus: It does not need that potential hotspot cutout on the top of the handle (like the comp.lock does)
But these are really very minor nitpicks, and with your "edge up" method the comp.lock certainly is safer in harsh conditions!
I personally just don´t need its undeniable strong point "fingers always out of the blade path", and that´s why I prefer a linerlock.

/ "Tschüss" is certainly very common in German, and very cool that you know that salutation but it is also totally "German" (as in the country of Germany) - we in Austria, speaking German, but in our own dialect would never use this as proud Austrians...;) - we´d say "servus" or something like that...

buenas tardes, mi amigo! :)

A CBBL - spoon? Don't say another word! We got a deal! :D

I also like the liner. It is my second favorite for all the reasons that you mentioned. You already know it. Lockback is another matter for me (as you already now as well).

Many thanks for the clarification re. Tschüss. I have heard it many times in München and I thought that, as in the case of Grüß Gott, it was also used across the border.

In fair consideration, I will tell you that "buenas tardes, mi amigo" is not used in Spain. I have heard it in the US (mainly in California and Texas) said by Americans who learned Spanish. I do not know if it is a literal translation from English (my friend -mi amigo) or if it is used in Mexico and Mexican teachers of Spanish taught it to them that way. In the Spanish of Spain, the vocatives (My God!, My son!, My friend!) have an inverse construction: the possessive pronoun goes after the noun: Dios mío!, Hijo mío!, Amigo Mío! So in Spanish from Spain it would be "Buenas tardes, amigo mío!".

I have improved my German, you have improved your Spanish and we have agreed to ask Sal to manufacture a CBBL spoon. What more could we ask for? :p
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

A Lil Kapara whould be an interesting knife.
But please no FRN LW.
G10, Micarta or Wood whould be nice.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Another thought - I agree with the comments that the long/slender handle makes the comp lock a bit more difficult to actuate. I do think the long slender handle is part of the joy of the knife. One way to make the lock more accessible - convert to button compression lock, a la Smock. The Smock also has a long/slender handle - but it is very easy to unlock the knife. And you also maintain the benefits of keeping fingers out of the blade path. This would likely add a bit of engineering (second detent ball)?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I think Sal just can´t say "no" to a CBBL spoon from a monetary point of view! This just MUST be a huge success! After the first S30V / G10 version I can already see the Micarta/REX 45 sprint! (Man, what a nice Patina a user-SPOON must develope in this tool steel!) :p :p

/ Yes, in all honesty, it is one of the great things of this forum that we get to chat with people in so many different parts of the world - generally, and cause one learns from it
Concerning foreign languages: I have thought several times about starting threads in the off topic section along those lines (like: "Who wants to teach proper English" or "Questions about Spanish or German or...?")
Let me go off topic one last time HERE (I promise!): Munich is a bit a melting pot concerning the German language and dialects. As you certainly know, it is the capital of Bayern /Bavaria. Generally Bavaria (a part of Germany) and Austria (a sovereign state like Germany) have a lot more in common concerning the original dialect than Bavaria has with the rest of Germany (to which it actually belongs nowadays). But in Munich you can find both the more or less true Bavarian dialect and "high German" or more northern dialects.
Now: While "Grüss Gott" is totally typical Bavarian AND Austrian (and no one from Northern Germany would use that up there), "tschüss" is totally NON Bavarian and Austrian, but certainly still used in the Munich melting pot or by younger people who begin to forget about the dialects. Where I live (Salzburg/Austria) saying "tschüss" really is a synonym for being NOT from here, but a tourist from Germany... :p

"Buenas tardes, my amigo": My sister in law and mother of my three little beloved nieces is from Peru, and she actually says that sometimes... and it is part of the sadly too little Spanish I know...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:18 am

Now: While "Grüss Gott" is totally typical Bavarian AND Austrian (and no one from Northern Germany would use that up there), "tschüss" is totally NON Bavarian and Austrian, but certainly still used in the Munich melting pot or by younger people who begin to forget about the dialects. Where I live (Salzburg/Austria) saying "tschüss" really is a synonym for being NOT from here, but a tourist from Germany... :p

Well, up here in the "north" (which, from a bavarian or austrian perspective, is pretty much everything north of Nuremburg) we actually use "Grüß Gott" quite a lot... but most of times to mock some few gibberish tendencies south of Nuremburg that confuse a certain regional inferiority complex with being special, like snooty minorities often tend to do... :D

From an etymology point of view both Grüß Gott and Tschüss are very much analogues in use and origin by the way ;)

Now back to the small Kapara... when can I have one?
notorious fidgeteer
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:18 am
Menipo wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I think Sal just can´t say "no" to a CBBL spoon from a monetary point of view! This just MUST be a huge success! After the first S30V / G10 version I can already see the Micarta/REX 45 sprint! (Man, what a nice Patina a user-SPOON must develope in this tool steel!) :p :p

/ Yes, in all honesty, it is one of the great things of this forum that we get to chat with people in so many different parts of the world - generally, and cause one learns from it
Concerning foreign languages: I have thought several times about starting threads in the off topic section along those lines (like: "Who wants to teach proper English" or "Questions about Spanish or German or...?")
Let me go off topic one last time HERE (I promise!): Munich is a bit a melting pot concerning the German language and dialects. As you certainly know, it is the capital of Bayern /Bavaria. Generally Bavaria (a part of Germany) and Austria (a sovereign state like Germany) have a lot more in common concerning the original dialect than Bavaria has with the rest of Germany (to which it actually belongs nowadays). But in Munich you can find both the more or less true Bavarian dialect and "high German" or more northern dialects.

"Buenas tardes, my amigo": My sister in law and mother of my three little beloved nieces is from Peru, and she actually says that sometimes... and it is part of the sadly too little Spanish I know...

A REX 45 sprint CBBL spoon? Are you kidding? Do you want to go to wash and dry it everytime you finish your bowl of soup before completing lunch or dinner? Who wants to put anything with a patina in his mouth? No way! It must be absolutely stainless. It must be LC200N (if not H1) :D

I also will go off topic for the last time.

Thank you for your clarification. Next time in München I will only pay attention to those wearing Lederhosen :o

What you tell about your sister in law confirms me what I suspected. It is a Spanish of America construction. Someone speaking Spanish of Spain (or Castillian) would not use it. We call our language also Castillian because it originated in the ancient kingdom of Castile (one of those which formed the kingdom of Spain). And we do it to differentiate it from the other three languages (not dialects) which are spoken in Spain and, as such, are also Spanish languages (Galizian, Catalonian and Euskera).

So next time that you meet her, tell her: Buenas tardes, amiga mía! and see how she reacts ;)
RLR

Post by RLR »

If you make the slippie, please fix this notch. Huge pet peeve. Should be smooth and flowing, like the lines of the knife:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A non-stainless steel would be a no-go for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I really like the Kapara just as it is. One of my favorite knives.I don't think a smaller version would interest me, I'd have to handle it first.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nick D. Fingerz wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:48 pm
I really like the Kapara just as it is. One of my favorite knives.I don't think a smaller version would interest me, I'd have to handle it first.
For a long time I've said that knives with 3" blades were optimal for me. For the most part that's true. When the Kapara came out I was a little disappointed that it would have a 3.5" blade. I have one from the first run and I think it's great (no issues with the length, working the lock, etc). Now that they're talking about a 3" version coming out I'm surprised that I'm not as excited about it as I should be. I'm actually more excited about the Kapara exclusives

For those having trouble working the comp lock on the Kapara (I'm not) you can release the lock with your thumb and let the blade fall on your index finger

And for the person who's cut themselves with a liner lock 20 times. What thr heck are you doing? Lol
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Count me in for the lil!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Ric wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:21 pm
Looking forward to!

@jupaul
@all
Does the choil touch the finger at closing?
As it does at lil native, ...
If you keep your index finger in the lock when you disengage and the blade falls shut (if you have the CQI free falling blade version) you will feel a slight kick, but it's not too bad.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@gsg9 thanks!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

This was supposed to be a food-prep oriented folder: "a personal carry knife to help him prepare healthy, vegetable-based meals. "

Beside shipping S30V to Taichung ending up costing an arm and an leg in EU, for the purpose that is being advertised it would need a slightly longer slightly thinner blade.

Instead, in the good ol' Spyderco fashion, it goes in the opposite direction making the blade shorter(and the slip-joint at 3 inches will be even shorter), basically defeating the original "purpose" of the knife, ending up like every other model in an EDC-able friendly legal-carry friendly folder that would just sell in big numbers.

This is Kapara versus a small apple, needs a longer thinner blade.

Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

This is great news, I'm a fan of smaller knives and of course CF and the best clip Spyderco produces, haha.

Can't wait to grab one of these.