Spyderco Worker appreciation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Spyderco Worker appreciation

Post by gundamaniac »

I recently snagged what I believe to be a gen2 Worker (three screw, unbevelled handles, one thick and one thin scale, no lanyard hole) in what appears to be unused condition, and I'm pretty chuffed. Still on the hunt for a first generation 2 screw variant, but just had to share my excitement with you all! The Worker really helps put perspective on all the "modern" "tactical" style folders that make up my collection.
PXL_20210203_225011030.PORTRAIT~2-01.jpeg
chrisb507

Re: Spyderco Worker appreciation

Post by chrisb507 »

Wow! That is a beauty! My only Worker is the VG-10 sprint run from a few years ago, and even that looks "tactical" in comparison. Nice find.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Yeah I really like the pointy curve blade on the Worker.

Maybe there should be a jumbo/XL Worker in the mix. The "Hard Worker"?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gundamaniac,

Good find. It is fact a 2nd generation Worker. Still had the sharpened swedge that dropped below the scale when folded. You could open the blade a small bit using the hole and cut a piece of string with the swedge. we needed 3 screws to hold the clip firm and a thicker scale gave the screws more purchase. The early models were certainly learning experiences with new concepts being developed.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Very cool find! I love the blade shape on the Workers. They just scream "classic Spyderco."
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:50 pm
Hi Gundamaniac,

Good find. It is fact a 2nd generation Worker. Still had the sharpened swedge that dropped below the scale when folded. You could open the blade a small bit using the hole and cut a piece of string with the swedge. we needed 3 screws to hold the clip firm and a thicker scale gave the screws more purchase. The early models were certainly learning experiences with new concepts being developed.

sal
Thanks for the confirmation Sal, as well as the insight into the changes between the first and second generation and why they were made! I find design evolution and CQI to be really fascinating. The intent and execution of the swedge is a neat touch. Was that feature dropped later due to laws and restrictions regarding "daggers"?
sal

Post by sal »

Laws on "Daggers" were for "double edge" blades longer than 1 inch. We made sure to keep the "Double edge" swedge under 1".

sal
Frizank9009

Post by Frizank9009 »

Danke wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:44 pm
Yeah I really like the pointy curve blade on the Worker.

Maybe there should be a jumbo/XL Worker in the mix. The "Hard Worker"?
That would be awesome.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Good find! A friend's Worker is what introduced me to the Spyderco brand. It looked like something out of a sci-fi novel compared the knives I owned at the time.

I've still got my fingers crossed that we'll see an FRN variant one of these days.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

That's close to how I modify Delicas.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 am

Good find! A friend's Worker is what introduced me to the Spyderco brand. It looked like something out of a sci-fi novel compared the knives I owned at the time.

I've still got my fingers crossed that we'll see an FRN variant one of these days.

I have the same wish. I had the Worker sprint but I didn't care for the weight in G10. I wonder if they can just use the Delica or Endura handle and throw a Worker style blade in it? Would make a great little Sprint or Flash Batch. Maybe even a Worker Salt in H1 SE with a Salt 2 handle??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I have the g10 sprint and it is a fine piece.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

B7FD9B46-2CA6-4075-90E1-7C0780944163.jpeg
B9621363-82CF-44B3-B8E1-F5129A7CC341.jpeg
I took my tufram worker out of the safe today. I got this about a year ago directly from Sal. What a treasure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 pm
Laws on "Daggers" were for "double edge" blades longer than 1 inch. We made sure to keep the "Double edge" swedge under 1".

sal

I never knew there was a double edged version. I'd love to see that again with a SE option. Every time I see a Worker I think of all the times a tip like that could be useful, and having a second edge on top would be even more practical.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:23 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 pm

sal

I never knew there was a double edged version. I'd love to see that again with a SE option. Every time I see a Worker I think of all the times a tip like that could be useful, and having a second edge on top would be even more practical.
I learned about the double edge when I got my Everest edition SE Worker. It's a great feature.

It's another model that I wish I could find a good used example to really throw some use at.

A Salt version would really pique my interest.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder about a Worker with a pastel yellow or orange handle, and serrated edge? I like bright colors on my knives meant for my tool bag.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

When I first saw this topic I thought you were going to suggest we swing by Golden, pick up the Spyderco workers and show our appreciation for them by taking them all out to lunch or something. Then I clicked on the link realized it was appreciation for that Worker. :D
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

This little piece of the modern cutlery history came in the mail yesterday. It isn't one of the very early models, maybe 3rd generation?, but it is very cool to observe on my hand its such innovative features for those times.

So I was just wondering...Maybe we could see a new edition of the Worker for its 40th anniversary?
Matus

Post by Matus »

I loved the deep green color on the sprint run. And I can not help but wish to see it re-introduced in a liner-less G10 or fluted carbon fibre and MagnaCut (ok ok, Spy27 or Cruwear would be fine too) :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:41 am
When I first saw this topic I thought you were going to suggest we swing by Golden, pick up the Spyderco workers and show our appreciation for them by taking them all out to lunch or something. Then I clicked on the link realized it was appreciation for that Worker. :D
Well, we haven't done that, but we did throw a pizza party for the crew years ago.