Any interest in the return of integral comp locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Any interest in the return of integral comp locks?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Title says it all really, every time I open the picture gallery I see Mr. Blonde's Ti salsa and feel like I desperately need that lock. Is anyone else as fascinated by the Integral Ti comp lock as me?

I figure it could start with the sage line, as it's all about different locks and has gotten some attention in the steel department lately. They could even update the design, put in a lockbar insert, ceramic detent, etc etc etc. I for one would be fine paying a premium to have such an oddity in my collection.

So I'm both gauging interest but also wondering if there are any flaws in the concept, I've obviously never held one of those salsas so know nothing about hand feel, ease and comfort of engagement/disengagement, etc. Would love to hear any and all opinions on the subject.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Re: Any interest in the return of integral comp locks?

Post by Wartstein »

I am just aware of two integral comp lock Spydies, the TI Salsa and the ATR (there might be more, I am not an expert here).
Of course I did not handle either of those.

I somehow like the concept of this lock, and I think it looks cool. Still, practically speaking I certainly do prefer a "regular" frame lock (that is to be operated much like a linerlock), but then I prefer the regular linerlock over the regular comp. lock too.

"Flaws" in the integral comp. lock? One disadvantage I could think of is, that one has to place the thumb lower down on the outside of the handle when operating the lock than with a "regular" comp.lock (given one is a righty and operates the lock like most people seem to do). On some models (especially with not tall handles) that could make the knife even less secure in the hand than it is with a regular comp. lock?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always thought they were cool. I owned an ATR 1 and enjoyed the locking mechanism. I'd like to see them return, they have a very distinctive appearance.
:unicorn
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Yes, I've been asking for this for a while. I really want an all Ti Sage with integral comp lock. Give it an LC200N blade and it could also be a Salt Sage since Ti handles with no liners and phosphor bronze washers already gets us most of the way there anyway.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:26 pm
Yes, I've been asking for this for a while. I really want an all Ti Sage with integral comp lock. Give it an LC200N blade and it could also be a Salt Sage since Ti handles with no liners and phosphor bronze washers already gets us most of the way there anyway.

That´s a cool proposal! I love the overall Sage design, and it would be a perfect model for an integral comp.lock! (For whatever reason I´d like to see it rather in a knife not too large).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Still hopeful for the Fluted Ti PM2 with integral comp lock.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Still hopeful for the Fluted Ti PM2 with integral comp lock.
For sure! I still have pics somewhere of the prototype that we saw on eBay all those years ago. It seems to be Spyderco’s flagship model so I am unsure why this has never come to fruition. There were also rumors of a fluted CF Para2 as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only if it has a steel lock insert.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RLR

Post by RLR »

Bring it back, on a Ti Salsa! I missed that one.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:00 pm
Only if it has a steel lock insert.
This.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

That implementation takes away my favorite part about the comp lock: the casual pinch to let the blade swing free.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Not really. I had a steel ATR, and never found that handle particularly comfortable.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I''m interested! Mainly because I haven't handled one before and I'm curious about the ergos in use and whether the lock area would rub the thumb or the webbing around the thumb noticeably.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I think it would be cool to include this in the Sage series. Not sure if a knife that's already a comp lock can be transitioned to an integral comp lock without making a bunch of changes
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Holland wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
I think it would be cool to include this in the Sage series. Not sure if a knife that's already a comp lock can be transitioned to an integral comp lock without making a bunch of changes
I would assume it just means extending the liner design over and slapping a lockbar insert in. The only difference would be depth of D holes and such. With the sage especially it seems like it’d be fairly easy to do since we’ve had it with both a Ti framelock and a comp lock.

Again I’d assume, not an engineer. If someone from the Spyderco design team wants to chime in to say I’m wrong go ahead.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fish,

So...would a Ti integral compression lock Salsa with no Cobra Hood and a lock insert scratch the itch?

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:41 pm
Hi Fish,

So...would a Ti integral compression lock Salsa with no Cobra Hood and a lock insert scratch the itch?

sal
That would be pretty epic

cpm-M4!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

sal wrote:
Hi Fish,

sal
I’ll buy several! I love the ti salsa!
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Hi Fish,

sal
Sal,

I've gotta say, I'm quite a fan of cobra hoods. Gives the thumb a more comfortable position on the spine while being able to retain a thin blade stock. If the Salsa came back I'd prefer the hood to remain.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Fish,

sal

Perhaps a Salsa XL ("XL" for a Salsa) in Sage/Delica/Para3 - dimensions?! :rolleyes: