Para 3 LW in Cruwear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Para 3 LW in Cruwear?

Post by Catamount123 »

Anyone know (or heard any rumors) about this happening? I’m thinking it would most likely be an exclusive?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Henry_P

Re: Para 3 LW in Cruwear?

Post by Henry_P »

I haven’t heard anything about a LW cru-wear yet. I have a feeling that we are more likely to see a regular Para 3 with cru-wear and micarta similar to the new PM2.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:26 am
I haven’t heard anything about a LW cru-wear yet. I have a feeling that we are more likely to see a regular Para 3 with cru-wear and micarta similar to the new PM2.
There seems to be a few people that want the Golden LWs in Cruwear. Sal talked about a Native 5 lw in Cruwear a few yrs ago but nothing came of it.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I bet DLT will do a purple one with dlc cru-wear. And I'll be first in line for it!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm
I bet DLT will do a purple one with dlc cru-wear. And I'll be first in line for it!
I’d actually like to see their Cruwear DLC/OD Green FRN version in this set up.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I’m in the (apparent) minority that dislikes DLC. Hmm...if that were the only way to get Cruwear in this model, would I buy it?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pm
I’m in the (apparent) minority that dislikes DLC. Hmm...if that were the only way to get Cruwear in this model, would I buy it?
That’s gonna be a “no” from me, dawg.

Cruwear is definitely a cool steel, but I don’t like DLC
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Blnd wrote:
Catamount123 wrote:
That’s gonna be a “no” from me, dawg.
Cruwear is definitely a cool steel, but I don’t like DLC
Well, we are three.. ;)
I don´t like DLC either. For me not necessary in rustproofs steels anyway, and with tool steels I actually like to see how they "live" and "age" and show wear.
But then, I never had real actual problems with knives rusting so that their function would be impaired. If it was so, I´d perhaps think differently about DLC.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm just going to chime in here too and say that I also dislike DLC, but I would like to see a Dark Purple Para 3 LW in Cruwear with a Satin blade.
--Jeremy
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm

ohh, ohhhh...me too me too!

Actually I've been thinking that given their red G-10 M390s have the Para 3 and Para 3 LW released, maybe they'll eventually do the same with the Para 3 LW in Cru-ple... it would be the most beautiful Para 3 LW if released!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All you guys disliking DLC, have you ever actually used it? I know many people dislike it because they think it will get scratched up easily like cheaper knives black coated blades.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm
All you guys disliking DLC, have you ever actually used it? I know many people dislike it because they think it will get scratched up easily like cheaper knives black coated blades.
Sure, I've used it. I have a couple knives with it - like my M4 Millie. However, I don't like the way that it looks. I don't like coated blades at all, so that's why I dislike it. After using it, I definitely have no fear of it getting scratched, but I like to see patina on my knives and DLC prevents on that the carbon steels.
--Jeremy
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sure, I've used it. I have a couple knives with it - like my M4 Millie. However, I don't like the way that it looks. I don't like coated blades at all, so that's why I dislike it. After using it, I definitely have no fear of it getting scratched, but I like to see patina on my knives and DLC prevents on that the carbon steels.
Fair enough. I'm just hoping people aren't "scared" of DLC, that's all. Tough stuff for sure!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I thought I remember reading on some post here that there were 20+ Para 3 LW exclusives in the works. This was at least a year ago. Surely one of them has to be cruwear. Of course Covid happened but I would think there's still more than a few in the works.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

I have to admit: No, never used a DLC knife.

But I think I am still entitled to "dislike" it (though the term is a bit too harsh): As said, my reason for that is that I just happen to like watching the plain steel getting that used look over time, be it scratches, spots, "patina", whatever. And to experience how different steels "age" differently.
So IF I had a DLC knife I would even like it getting scratched up, look used, more individual and like "my" knife over time.
But that´s just me, I totally respect if people want to keep their blades pristine (though I have a feeling you are not necesarily one of those anyway, Rick, right? ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I'd definitely be interested! (though not in purple scales ;))

I'm actually really surprised the Para 3 LW has been out for a year and a half and has only had one exclusive (red M390 from DLT). I expected dealers to order exclusives of the Para 3 LW by the truckload after the success of all the regular Para 3 exclusives. Still expectantly awaiting for them to arrive while I enjoy my Spy27 P3LW :D
Last edited by Wright.88 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I already have a 4 or 5 knives with Cruwear (including a Para 3), so not sure I'd actually buy another P3LW just for more Cruwear, but I would imagine we'll see one at some point.

And for those who dislike DLC (IMO) it's perfectly ok. We all have our preferences. I prefer satin blades too but now that I have several with DLC it's kind of grown on me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 pm
I'd definitive be interested! (though not in purple scales ;))

I'm actually really surprised the Para 3 LW has been out for a year and a half and has only had one exclusive (red M390 from DLT). I expected dealers to order exclusives of the Para 3 LW by the truckload after the success of all the regular Para 3 exclusives. Still expectantly awaiting for them to arrive while I enjoy my Spy27 P3LW :D
And then there was the Rex 45 sprint...but that's it. I didn't order either as I was reluctant to give the LW a chance, but I'm glad I grabbed the Spy27. Enjoying the knife and the steel more than I expected.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I swear if the centering issues could be fixed either by a remold of the interior or cqing another washer, it would be the perfect lightweight knife for me. I see many Para3 LWs being sold on the secondary more than the standard Para3, possibly because of this design issue.

Nonetheless,I thoroughly enjoy my 3 LWs in M390, REX45 and Spy27. Hoping for more exclusives to grow the family.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I'm actually really surprised the Para 3 LW has been out for a year and a half and has only had one exclusive (red M390 from DLT).
I am still totally blown away by this. After DLT released that m390 model I was sure the floodgates would open on lightweight exclusives. Obviously I was wrong, but surely there have got to be a bunch in the works by now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.