Which fixed blade would you like to see in K390 first?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Spyderco fixed blade should be run in K390 first?

Moran
11%
Street Beat
20%
Temperance 1
5%
Temperance 2
5%
Enuff
3%
Enuff XL
5%
Ronin
3%
Bow River
17%
Aqua Salt FFG
3%
Other
28%

Total votes: 75

JRinFL

Re: Which fixed blade would you like to see in K390 first?

Post by JRinFL »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:14 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:42 am
I voted "other". Something in the Street Beat family would be good, but designed for utility rather than self defense. More of an all around workhorse knife is my idea. Preferably made in USA, if possible. I'm sure Eric or Sal has a new design sitting around that would fit the bill!
How about this wharncliffe version of the Street Beat from Perrin?

That's certainly getting closer to the mark.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:12 pm
Well I know what JD Spydo will vote for.

I voted for the Aqua Salt. The handle looks awesome and I would love to try it out.

Close 2nd would be a Street Beat. Considering Fred P. makes em out of 1075 it would be closer to the way he makes it (tough non-stainless).

Enuff XL would be intriguing, as long as it's a little thinner. The K390 is tough enough to work on a thinner-blade outdoors knife.
I believe the enuff xl is supposed to be 3mm stock. It'd be cool if they came right out of the gate with a high end version, though I'll eagerly buy a VG10 version as soon as they're available.
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:36 am
Street Beat, but with Micarta scales.
K390 & micarta Street Beat sounds like a dream knife to me. Wonder what the price difference between FRN & micarta would be? I'd guess $160 & $250 ballpark prices considering the vg10 lw is about $115 these days.
JRinFL wrote:
I voted "other". Something in the Street Beat family would be good, but designed for utility rather than self defense. More of an all around workhorse knife is my idea. Preferably made in USA, if possible. I'm sure Eric or Sal has a new design sitting around that would fit the bill!
The street beat works great as a utility knife. No feature about it is exclusively for SD in my opinion.

That being said I've always wanted a Street Leaf. Something with a more shallow belly and lower tip placement, but otherwise the same.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:42 pm
JRinFL wrote:
The street beat works great as a utility knife. No feature about it is exclusively for SD in my opinion.

That being said I've always wanted a Street Leaf. Something with a more shallow belly and lower tip placement, but otherwise the same.
I have a Street Bowie that I used to carry when we would hike in Maine. I also have a Street Beat Micarta and a LW that I recently purchased. Having spent a few hours de-limbing and breaking down some branches from trees I cut down using a BK-9, I'd have to say that I would prefer the handle on an "all-arounder" to be rounder and more hand filling. So, closer to the BK series and further from the light, slim handles of the Street series. The Perrins are meant to be carried a lot, used little IMO. Just like a J series snubnose.

So, think of something like a Serrata FB32G, but with thinner stock. Maybe Stuart has another design, hmm...
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:59 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:42 pm
JRinFL wrote:

I have a Street Bowie that I used to carry when we would hike in Maine. I also have a Street Beat Micarta and a LW that I recently purchased. Having spent a few hours de-limbing and breaking down some branches from trees I cut down using a BK-9, I'd have to say that I would prefer the handle on an "all-arounder" to be rounder and more hand filling. So, closer to the BK series and further from the light, slim handles of the Street series. The Perrins are meant to be carried a lot, used little IMO. Just like a J series snubnose.

So, think of something like a Serrata FB32G, but with thinner stock. Maybe Stuart has another design, hmm...
I understand where you're coming from. I'd typically pick my SRK over my Perrins for woods stuff for similar reasons. But the Perrin sees day to day carry while my SRK is strictly carried on outdoors adventures.

I do like the overall lines of the Serrata and considered putting it in the poll.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Move the Bow River out of China and it would be a great choice. The Serrata and Moran knives would be nice, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A thinner Serrata would be good.
I have a smaller version in for evaluation by Eric... :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Southfork
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mule.

Oh, I already have one. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes of course I voted for the TEMPERANCE 1 model. And that's in spite of the fact that one of the good Brothers here recently sent me his TEMP 2 to check out... Which is an awesome fixed blade itself and the ergos on it are fantastic. But there is still something about that TEMP 1 model. Like I've said many times before> > That was one that they got perfect the first time around :cool:

The Temp 1 would be an excellent model to bring back in a Supersteel>> but in SE & PE both just like they did with the TEMP 1 model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:29 am
Yes of course I voted for the TEMPERANCE 1 model. And that's in spite of the fact that one of the good Brothers here recently sent me his TEMP 2 to check out... Which is an awesome fixed blade itself and the ergos on it are fantastic. But there is still something about that TEMP 1 model. Like I've said many times before> > That was one that they got perfect the first time around :cool:

The Temp 1 would be an excellent model to bring back in a Supersteel>> but in SE & PE both just like they did with the TEMP 1 model.
One of the advantages of designs like the Temp 1 in K390 is you wouldn't have to be concerned with corrosion anywhere on the handle.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:44 am
Yes, YES! This is my new "other" vote. :)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I voted for the Street Beat because I think K390 compliments the design and what I’d use it for (EDC or general things).
I don’t care so much about the handle material on a fixed blade, so micarta is welcome but not necessary for me.
For the same reasons, the Moran, Enuff “XL” in thinner stock, and Temp 1/2 are next in line for me.

A smaller or thinner Serrata is exciting!
It already has a really nice profile, but I am hesitant of the current blade and edge thickness if I’m being honest.

The “Subway Bowie” from Fred Perrin could also be a good candidate for k390, as would a lot of these knives, but I’m just as interested in Spyderco instead using steels like 52100, Spy27, s45vn, etc.
And some of the knives already come in the steels I would personally choose, like the Waterway in LC200N (if we get more of Lance’s designs, my wish is for serrations and colors).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Well, you certainly have my attention. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:

Hi Stuart,

I'll look into it. Eric has been pretty busy lately, so I'm picking up more of the R & D responsibility. what was your name for it?

sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
A smaller, thinner, k390 Serrata? I'm in.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Southfork and/or Sprig!!!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd definitely buy a Serrata in an upgraded steel, in whatever size. I have two Serrate, and I'm very fond of them.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would like to see a smaller EDC about the size of a GiantMOUSE - GMF1
Blade the same as a Para 3 with a G10 handle junction style.
I would call it the Spyderco Kakadu
( living next to Kakadu national park in Northern Australia )
Would make a great survey knife for Agriculture surveys work does in the Northern Territory
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sal

Post by sal »

I'm open. Just found out the maker for the Perrin's models will work with K390. I should receive Stuarts proto sent to me this week. And I've got a maker with skill that has some space.

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 pm
I'm open. Just found out the maker for the Perrin's models will work with K390. I should receive Stuarts proto sent to me this week. And I've got a maker with skill that has some space.

sal
:eek: :D

Very cool. I might be most curious about Stuart's thinner Serrata.