Z-cut bread knife please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Z-cut bread knife please

Post by araneae »

Anyone interested in a Z-cut bread knife?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Notsurewhy

Re: Z-cut bread knife please

Post by Notsurewhy »

I would love an offset handle bread knife similar to the zcut in the 9-10" range. The stock would probably need to be a good bit thicker and I'm sure the price would be significantly higher, but it would easily replace my fibrox handled victorinox that currently fills that roll. I think I paid $25-30 for the Vic. I'd gladly pay more for a bd1n made in USA Spyderco version.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I know from past threads that you mean a larger Z-cut (because they do make a bread knife pattern in the current size).
And I would be interested in that as well.
I’m really curious to see where Spyderco takes its culinary line. I know some here don’t follow trendy social media apps like Instagram, but Spyderco’s dedicated kitchen knife page there is beautiful (and surprisingly underrated).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have one of these, but it is a Victorinox. It is awesome. I'd trade up to a Z-cut if they came out with one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

Kitchen knives are not Spyderco’s forte (not sure about that Carter collab, maybe those have reasonable blade geometry), so I would tend to look elsewhere. Mac superior line has an excellent bread knife.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:24 pm
Kitchen knives are not Spyderco’s forte (not sure about that Carter collab, maybe those have reasonable blade geometry), so I would tend to look elsewhere. Mac superior line has an excellent bread knife.
I've been pleased with my Spydies in the kitchen and I think with their superior serrations a Spydie Z-cut in a larger bread knife format would perform great.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:14 am
Anyone interested in a Z-cut bread knife?
Yes! I was ready yesterday!

I am a huge fan of this knife and a bread knife would be fantastic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Another thought is that the blade on the Z-Cut is very thin. I think they would have to use slightly thicker blade stock for a knife as long as a bread knife, or it would flex too much.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Think it is a good idea. Thumbs up!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:56 am
Another thought is that the blade on the Z-Cut is very thin. I think they would have to use slightly thicker blade stock for a knife as long as a bread knife, or it would flex too much.
+1

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

How about a 12” bladed serrated bread knife with a thin blade tensioned in a frame like a hacksaw? This would be the best of both worlds, thin, yet stiff to prevent wandering in the cut.

The frame needs to be tall enough to clear big loaves, and able to be easily cleaned without food pockets or degradation from wetness.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have a bread knife like that and a more traditional one. The frame just gets in the way. A Z- Cut bread knife would be awesome. I love all my Spyderco kitchen knives from counter Puppy to Santoku, the Cook’s knife especially.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JMM

Post by JMM »

I thought that was what my SE Police3 was for -- doesn't everyone use theirs for that?
;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JMM wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:45 pm
I thought that was what my SE Police3 was for -- doesn't everyone use theirs for that?
;)
It's not long enough.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050