First Wharncliffe ... been thinking about these for a while

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

First Wharncliffe ... been thinking about these for a while

Post by cycleguy »

Lately I've been open to exploring different knife experiences other than my standard favorite knife(s).

Over the past few months I've cycled thru a Salt SE, Manix LW w/ Rex45, SS Stretch, Stretch 1 w/ ZDP-189, Z-Cut Serrated w/ tip, and Chaparral LW. Some I've kept and others I've let go.

I have never tried a Wharncliffe (other than a box cutter) and have finally decided to give one a go as an EDC. I'm giving the PE RockJumper a try. If this goes well it could easily grow to other Wharncliffe purchases such as the Canis, K390 D4, and Ronin.

Anyone care to share their experiences and impressions (favorable :) unfavorable :( ) with Wharncliffe blades?

As usual, always excited to try something new.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Re: First Wharncliffe ... been thinking about these for a while

Post by Evil D »

I love them and even in many cases prefer them depending on the overall design. If you don't find yourself needing to cut against things (cutting board for example) then they generally do everything a typical blade can do and in pull cuts can do it better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Up to getting a Pac Salt 2, a wharncliffe Salt 2 was my work EDC. The blade shape was perfect for cutting zip ties, landscaping cloth, opening boxes. I'll likely get the LC200N version when it's finally released.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like them.

For me they have a few advantages over drop points and other more common shapes, and two draw backs.

The blade shape puts the tip in a more useful spot. The straight edge does a better job of slicing materials without having things slip off the tip. They are the easiest blade shape to sharpen.

The two draw backs are they work a little less efficiently doing cuts on a flat surface, and they tend to have a wider footprint when folded up (not an issue for fixed blades).

I find wharncliffes are the best blade shape for small knives. Small blades with lots of belly slip around a lot on cuts. Small knives are good for precision work. For these two reasons wharncliffes are perfect in that size range.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:18 pm

I find wharncliffes are the best blade shape for small knives. Small blades with lots of belly slip around a lot on cuts. Small knives are good for precision work. For these two reasons wharncliffes are perfect in that size range.

This.
Does not have to be a wharncliffe necessarely, but already a knife with a long, straight edge section before some belly does not slip off of stuff as easily as one with a continuous curve in the edge.

I am thinking about getting a Salt ffg wharnie SE. Will be the ultimate very lightweight hiking knife (perhaps one could even remove that clip on this and throw it in a pack), and certainly a brutally good cutter, having thin blade, wharncliff sahpe and SE combined.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The tip is the first to dull on wharnies, but other than that I'm a big fan of wharncliffe/tanto/straight edge designs.

The wharncliffe delica is a favorite.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

For the reasons several have mentioned already, wharncliffes and hawkbills are my preferred blade shapes. They excel in most cutting situations -- the only time they struggle, in my experience, is cutting on a flat surface (i.e. cutting food on a cutting board) and even that is still possible, just not ideal.

Once I gave wharncliffes and hawkbills a chance I couldn't deny just how much more effectively they perform everyday cutting.

Negative blade angle is a good start.
Negative tip placement is even better.
Upgrading from a bellied blade to a flat or concave edge with negative blade angle and tip placement is where you'll find truly enhanced cutting performance, IME.

I'm excited to see Spyderco exploring more wharncliffes, hoping some of the Golden made knives will get wharncliffe options, as well.

Edited to add: don't be afraid to try longer wharncliffes like the Endura. They cut great, too :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm
don't be afraid to try longer wharncliffes like the Endura. They cut great, too :)

:D
:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:34 pm

:D

Just your standard box cutter :D
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

This is why I'm interested in getting the new Swick when it comes out.
JMM

Post by JMM »

A year ago I didn't own any, now I've got 5, after the first one I was hooked. In both PE & SE they are great tools, about the only think I don't find them awesome for is certain cutting in the kitchen, but for 95%+ of things they are fantastic. I'd recommend a Delica4 Wharnie in SE & PE if you can, if not, I'd start with SE. You'll dig 'em. :D
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

My first and only one so far is a Yojimbo 2 in 20CV. I didn’t think I’d like it but I fell in love with it right away. I usually carry a Para 3 but the sometimes I want to carry a “hard use” folder. The Yojimbo’s blade looks like it could beating but I admit I haven’t put mine to the test yet.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't have anything to add to the points made above. I just want to say that wharnies are cool, and if Spyderco could kindly consider bringing back the Centofante IV wharncliffe. I didn't even know they existed until long after they were discontinued.
Attachments
wharnies 01.jpg
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

The RockJumper showed up a couple days ago. My Stretch 1 was out of pocket as soon as I had the RockJumper out of the Spydie box. Don't think the RockJumper footprint in the pocket is any more or less than that of the Stretch 1 and same for getting my hand in and out of the pocket. I was figuring it would be more noticeable but it isn't. The knife hasn't seen much use for the first couple of days but I have to say the tip of the Wharncliffe is ideal for slicing open an envelope with a sticker holding the flap to the body & it is also ideal for opening a box wrapped in packaging tape. It just does these tasks with such ease. Unfortunately I'm sporting a couple blood bites on my knuckle, use to the Delica and holding my finger close to the hump just forward the lock and my Stretch 1 stops at 90 when dropped whereas my JumpMaster easily drops all the way. It likely won't take much of this to adjust accordingly; cuts & scabs on joints aren't much fun!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
benben

Post by benben »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 pm
The RockJumper showed up a couple days ago. My Stretch 1 was out of pocket as soon as I had the RockJumper out of the Spydie box. Don't think the RockJumper footprint in the pocket is any more or less than that of the Stretch 1 and same for getting my hand in and out of the pocket. I was figuring it would be more noticeable but it isn't. The knife hasn't seen much use for the first couple of days but I have to say the tip of the Wharncliffe is ideal for slicing open an envelope with a sticker holding the flap to the body & it is also ideal for opening a box wrapped in packaging tape. It just does these tasks with such ease. Unfortunately I'm sporting a couple blood bites on my knuckle, use to the Delica and holding my finger close to the hump just forward the lock and my Stretch 1 stops at 90 when dropped whereas my JumpMaster easily drops all the way. It likely won't take much of this to adjust accordingly; cuts & scabs on joints aren't much fun!!!

CG
I’ve said it before, my Stretch 1 and my Rockjumper feel almost identical in my hand and pocket! Rockjumper handle is probably my new favorite!
olywa

Post by olywa »

My PE Rockjumper has become one of my most useful carry knives. I've always preferred sheepsfoots over Wharnies for straight edges, but the Rockjumper ergos and Wharncliffe blade are the total package. Mine has been my daily carry for the last couple of months and it excels in that role.

All of that being said, I just received the new LC200 PE Atlantic Salt yesterday and if you like straight edges it's definitely worth your attention. Great ergos and a beautiful sheepsfoot blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Many will be aware of this pretty recent vid anyway, but should one not: Really worth watching if one is interested in the special properties and advantages of the wharncliffe shape:
Michael Janich explains: https://youtu.be/hnPhVIFZTb0&t=420s
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Wharncliffe blade designs are very good for general edc tasks and utility. It is one of the more effective blades for Self Defense as they are very effective for slices, where most small knives are only good for stabbing..I have done meat cutting tests for many years and something like a yojimbo,or ronin...will out performed much larger blades in their ability to cut and slice...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They're gaining popularity all around

Is there a way to sharpen them and ensure they remain straight? I always ended up lifting, and occasionally blunting the tip
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:06 am
Anyone care to share their experiences and impressions (favorable :) unfavorable :( ) with Wharncliffe blades?
I have a Q-Ball, and my wife has a Delica Wharncliffe. So my experience is limited to Seki-made Wharnies with VG10, but the impression is overwhelmingly positive. The factory grinds and sharpening work are excellent on both of these--among the sharpest knives in my house. The blade shape and aggressive tip are also extremely useful for everyday tasks.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!
-Evan