What’s next for SPY27 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What’s next for SPY27 ?

Post by Doc Dan »

I've got one knife in the steel. It is too early to give an opinion on the steel. I am sure I am going to like it, though. It is a suped up VG-10 that should perform as good as S30V and S35VN, if not a tad better. What more can we ask?

Now, we have been asking for a steel upgrade in the UKPK for a while. We are getting the LC200N (thank you Sal and Eric), but I would like to see an SPY27 version. I love the color of the Manix 2 that I have in that steel. Hint, hint.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:51 am
Or are there some other interesting properties (for the user) that SPY27 has to offer?
It is a stainless steel that responds well to sharpening, but with better edge retention and stability than steels like VG10, AEB-L, etc. That's what interests me. I'm just waiting for it to make its way to a model I really like. The P4 has me very interested.
ThomasAasen

Post by ThomasAasen »

What about making an Special Edition of the "Lil' Nilakka", and with the beautiful and rare "Westinghouse Antique Ivory Micarta"? Or another amazing scales like "Thunderstorm Kevlar", Yellowish "Transparent G10" or Caramel"Transparent G10". And if you do this, please reserve one for me, I have wanted this knife since it came out .🙏😊👍
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Are we backsliding into Egyptian hieroglyphs? There are countless good reasons we left them behind.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 pm
UKPK.
I'd like to see that too.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Badger410 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
UKPK.
It would certainly be a nice upgrade from BD1N, not that there is anything wrong with that steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

A Golden made Urban with blue FRN would be nice too …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am
Badger410 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
UKPK.
It would certainly be a nice upgrade from BD1N, not that there is anything wrong with that steel.
What would be the price bump to upgrade the base model from BD1N to Spy27?

Lower cost base models are important to average users. As knife hobbyists we often forget that in our quest for the latest and greatest.

With no slip joint option in the budget line, it's important to keep an affordable UKPK (or urban) option to fill that role.
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 am

With no slip joint option in the budget line, it's important to keep an affordable UKPK (or urban) option to fill that role.
True, I'd like to see more slip joint options. I'm looking forward to the Lil' Native and hope a Native 5 slippy will appear at some point.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am
Badger410 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
UKPK.
What would be the price bump to upgrade the base model from BD1N to Spy27?

Lower cost base models are important to average users. As knife hobbyists we often forget that in our quest for the latest and greatest.

I don't think anyone suggested replacing. Upgrade was the idea, just as HH upgraded the steel on their version to S30V.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

SPY27 is too expensive to have much success compared to S30V and specially S45VN.

For example:
  • Native5 S30V/FRN is $108.50 and Native5 SPY27/FRN is $126.00
  • Para3 S45VN/G-10 is $147.00 and Para3 SPY27/FRN is $140.00
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I would love to see a Sage 5 LW in SPY27. I'd prefer it to have black, brown, or green scales but for a Sage 5, I'd break out the RIT dye.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am waiting for S90V Sage 5, but that would be a discussion for a different thread :p Spy27 would be nice too.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'm guessing that SPY-27 will remain mostly in smaller runs or specific models as opposed to replacing S30V or S45VN, as others have mentioned. Main reason for that guess is that the value doesn't really seem to be there to drive wider spread adoption. Per the testing available, SPY-27 looks to be functionally identical to S35VN, that's not a bad place to be, but S35VN is everywhere, and SPY-27 comes with a sizeable price bump over very, very similar steels like S35VN, S30V or S45VN.

I could see SPY-27 replacing S30V as the standard higher end steel if the prices were a wash (like the performance), but there doesn't seem to be much beyond the cool factor of the name to Spyderco fans to back up the current super steel type pricing.... I just think mid-range steels need to have mid-range pricing to offer attractive value. After MagnaCut starts flowing, is anyone going to pass that up for something like SPY-27/S35VN if the prices are at all close?
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

chronovore wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 am
I would love to see a Sage 5 LW in SPY27. I'd prefer it to have black, brown, or green scales but for a Sage 5, I'd break out the RIT dye.
I’m up for almost ANY variation of the Sage 5 lw, if we’re being honest. Thats become my go-to medium sized spydie
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
archangel

Post by archangel »

With the price being higher while the performance being "only" at par with widespread good alround steels, indeed it does not look like it's revolutionary. Neither is S45VN, yet we see it in more and more Spydies now. I've said a couple times that I expect SPY27 to be introduced to basically all Golden made Spydies. It hasn't happened yet.

S45VN being rolled out in parallel, COVID blowing many plans, MagnaCut upcoming (the steel to rule all knife steels) - can SPY27 stand a chance?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Matus

Post by Matus »

That pretty much sums it up. To someone without any deeper insight it does seem like the Spy27 had a bit of a bad luck timing wise (2 years earlier it the situation would be a lot different)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

At this point, it's hard to see SPY27 replacing any mainline steel in Spyderco's lineup. There may have been a point where that was the intent, but like many have said there's not enough that sets SPY27 apart from other available materials to justify the price. I equate SPY27 to a very cool pet project that had potential, but ultimately was just a proof of concept and a fun exercise. After all, not many knife companies can say that they got Crucible to produce a custom steel for them. I have a Native 5 in this steel and I like it. Not surprisingly, it reminds me a lot of S35VN.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

MFlovejp wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 am
At this point, it's hard to see SPY27 replacing any mainline steel in Spyderco's lineup. There may have been a point where that was the intent, but like many have said there's not enough that sets SPY27 apart from other available materials to justify the price. I equate SPY27 to a very cool pet project that had potential, but ultimately was just a proof of concept and a fun exercise. After all, not many knife companies can say that they got Crucible to produce a custom steel for them. I have a Native 5 in this steel and I like it. Not surprisingly, it reminds me a lot of S35VN.
I wonder if it's a means to have a 2nd source for steel that's just a bit better than VG-10? If in the future there's a supply chain snag and VG-10 is hard to get, then substitute SPY27 in. All the while keep making knives with SPY27.

Carpenter made BD1N for Spyderco too, so lightning does strike at least twice. :cloud-lightning ;)