Spyder Classics: The C-73 Spyderco IMPALA model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-73 Spyderco IMPALA model

Post by JD Spydo »

The Spyderco C-73 IMPALA model could arguably be Spyderco's first serious "Hunter-Folder" model. There are at least 4 variants of this great "hunter-folder" Spyderco Classic and it was released in year 2004. The designer was a guy from South Africa named Ed Scott. He's not really a household name in the knife community but he sure did a great design with this IMPALA model.

At one time I had 3 of these Impala models and I could really kick myself for selling the last one I had. Also the Impala model was one of the very few hunting type knives I ever owned that had a "guthook" that I actually liked. The GutHook on the Impala was easy to keep sharp and was designed. Not all of the IMPALA models had a gut hook but I would say probably a third of them did.

Conversation about the IMPALA model comes up every so often here and at other forums but for the most part I feel like it's a great model that just never got the respect that it deserved. I've also been keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of a Sprint Run at some point. It's also another one of Spyderco's great classics out of what I like to call the GOLDEN ERA of Spyders (1998-2004). It also came out the same year that the TEMPERANCE 1 was released which is still my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade. Yes 2004 was a great year with many great models introduced and the IMPALA really stood out in the new models of 2004.
JMM

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-73 Spyderco IMPALA model

Post by JMM »

I've seen/held the CE w/gut-hook version, I think if it would have been a SE or PE I would have snagged one, (I've never been that big a fan of CE knives) but it's an impressive knife for sure. I didn't know Ed Scott (designer) was South-African... sounds like he's a pretty skilled hunter, guide & knife designer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:00 am
I've seen/held the CE w/gut-hook version, I think if it would have been a SE or PE I would have snagged one, (I've never been that big a fan of CE knives) but it's an impressive knife for sure. I didn't know Ed Scott (designer) was South-African... sounds like he's a pretty skilled hunter, guide & knife designer.
The 3 of those IMPALA models I had during the 2006-09 time slot were the guthook version, combo edge. I also had one without the guthook that was just a complete plain edge. I also had a Guthook version that was full PE as well. Like I said I'm pretty sure the IMPALA was available in 4 to 5 different variants.

My favorites were the full PE without the Guthook and the CE ( combo edged) version with the Guthook. I wish I would have at least kept the last one I mentioned. The main reason I liked the one that had the CE is because during the job of field dressing an animal I do find that a combo edge does indeed come in handy during that type of a cutting job.

Another item of interest is that the IMPALA model is another Spyderco model I would have loved to have seen a larger scale version of.

And I think you're spot on in regards to Ed Scott being an avid hunter. GOD knows there are plenty of game animals to hunt in South Africa. From 2001 to 2006 I went to all the BLADE Shows in Atlanta and I was amazed at how many custom knife makers and designers From South Africa that attended those BLADE Shows. Custom knives are apparently very popular in South Africa.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another interesting point about the C-73 IMPALA model is that it was another model that became more well loved after it was discontinued. This has happened to at least 6 to 8 models I can remember from that time period and I often find it perplexing as to why?

I think Spyderco in a few cases are victims of their own success. Because I've seen a few times where they have had some of their really popular models overshadow any newer models that come along. The G-10 Harpy, The original VG-10 Spyderhawk and the Rookie are a few others I could put in that category.

One point for sure is that Spyderco already had a lot of their models that could be used for "hunter-folders" that were already on the market at that time. Not much else makes sense when trying to figure why the IMPALA didn't take off any better.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Impala is very cool!
I’ve always liked the handle design and the way it’s blade sits flush with those curves when closed.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:22 am
Another interesting point about the C-73 IMPALA model is that it was another model that became more well loved after it was discontinued. This has happened to at least 6 to 8 models I can remember from that time period and I often find it perplexing as to why?

I think Spyderco in a few cases are victims of their own success. Because I've seen a few times where they have had some of their really popular models overshadow any newer models that come along. The G-10 Harpy, The original VG-10 Spyderhawk and the Rookie are a few others I could put in that category.

One point for sure is that Spyderco already had a lot of their models that could be used for "hunter-folders" that were already on the market at that time. Not much else makes sense when trying to figure why the IMPALA didn't take off any better.
[+1]

For sure YES to the G10 harpy, it's such a great hawkbill, I really wish they would bring back the G10 version, they are super hard to find, I've been looking and looking, I understand why those that have them refuse to give them up.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:59 am
Well Reject ol' Buddy I think you missed one. I'm pretty sure I've seen the IMPALA model with a combo edged blade without a guthook. But that's still pretty impressive that you were able to pull those out to show us.

For about 5 years or so after it was discontinued there were lots of guys I knew that really sought hard for an Impala model. But in the last 2 to 3 years you don't hear about it much anymore. But I still like it and I still want one for a hunter-folder.
sal

Post by sal »

You might think that JD is really old because he keeps mentioning these really old designs, but when I met him at the Blade show many years ago, he was just a kid with his parents and I was impressed with his passion for blades at such a young age.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:56 pm
You might think that JD is really old because he keeps mentioning these really old designs, but when I met him at the Blade show many years ago, he was just a kid with his parents and I was impressed with his passion for blades at such a young age.

sal
That was two years ago, wasn't it? :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like the overall Impala design, and especially that deep hollow grind. It was the lock that kept me away from an otherwise great and desirable design. It is really comfortable in the hand and has a useful blade shape for its intended task.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:39 am
There are at least 4 variants of this great "hunter-folder" Spyderco Classic
Like I said I'm pretty sure the IMPALA was available in 4 to 5 different variants.
... some more posts and we will learn it was available in 4 to 6 variants. :D

During all the time as collector I know only from 3 variants (as shown by Reject). ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for this thread, JD. This has probably been the classic Spydie I was most looking forward to seeing, when you started this series.

That’s really cool that there were CE and SE variants as well as the guthook/no guthook model variations.

I wonder if the guthook version would be a useful EDC for those people who have to cut lines/cordage a lot?

I’d be interested to hear more comments from people who’ve used them as dedicated hunting knives. Darby?

JD, is this the first knife in your Spydie Classic series which wasn’t made by Moki?

And thanks for the great pics Reject!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 am
That’s really cool that there were CE and SE variants as well as the guthook/no guthook model variations.
The Impala never had a full serrated edge (SE) ... to the best of my knowledge. :)

Spyderco's company motto
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:41 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 am
The Impala never had a full serrated edge (SE) ... to the best of my knowledge. :)
Ah, thanks for the clarification Peter. :)

I looked up Spydiewiki, and it looks like the three models which Reject showed are actually the complete set of variations. So it seems there was no model featuring combo edge without a guthook.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... ott_Impala
Reject

Post by Reject »

Remember; :D we are talking about Spyderco.

Just because we have never heard of a Spyderco model or variation. It doesn’t mean that Sal :cool: hasn’t made one or two; or more of them at some time.

What’s why I made no attempt to correct JD on that. Because as soon as I did; :o someone would post up a photo of that particular variation.
How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:02 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:39 am
There are at least 4 variants of this great "hunter-folder" Spyderco Classic
Like I said I'm pretty sure the IMPALA was available in 4 to 5 different variants.
... some more posts and we will learn it was available in 4 to 6 variants. :D

During all the time as collector I know only from 3 variants (as shown by Reject). ;)
Well I seen a "J. Bruce Voyles" auction no too awful long ago that had a full SE Spyderco Goddard model in it. And I have never ever seen one of those in the past listed anywhere previously. I've owned at least 4 of those Goddard models over the years and I've never even heard anyone speak of one in full SE much less have I ever seen one. So if there's a model variation that rare in existence you just know that there are other super rare variants out there as well.

And we have no idea what variations of prototypes of Spyderco's models there are out there in collector's display cases. Or what exists as SHOT Show prototypes or any other prototype for that matter.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 am
And we have no idea what variations of prototypes of Spyderco's models there are out there in collector's display cases. Or what exists as SHOT Show prototypes or any other prototype for that matter.
That's the reason why I strongly think it's better to focus only on variants for the official ELU-market when we speak from variants... ;)

Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:36 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 am
That's the reason why I strongly think it's better to focus only on variants for the official ELU-market when we speak from variants... ;)
I see what you mean Peter>> however I do like to explore the history of some of these models. For instance very few people realize that the original Breeden Captain model was originally made in full SE. And to this day it really baffles me as to why Spyderco never made a full SE version of the Captain and at least 12 other models I could mention.

I don't think it hurts to check out the history of many of these designs and especially the ones that were collaborations. The Breeden Captain and Breeden RESCUE both were originally made as full SE models from the show pictures I got to see. And I would love to see something like the C-73 Impala model offered in full SE.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Reject wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 pm
Remember; :D we are talking about Spyderco.

Just because we have never heard of a Spyderco model or variation. It doesn’t mean that Sal :cool: hasn’t made one or two; or more of them at some time.

What’s why I made no attempt to correct JD on that. Because as soon as I did; :o someone would post up a photo of that particular variation.
True.

I’m sure there are many prototype variants of models which never saw production.

In the interview with Sal in Australian Knife magazine, which was recently linked on this forum, Sal stated that he has carried hundreds of Spydie protos over the years which never saw production.

I guess I’m just thinking of those production models which were available on the open market at the time.