LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: LeafJumper

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Agreed, a little different but quite similar blade geometry to the caly3. Still definitely qualifies as a leaf shaped blade. Interesting to find out in the specs that this “choil-less like Caly 3” blade and Caly3, both have 3” blades, but the Caly3 having slightly more cutting edge and slightly shorter handle.
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Caly 3.5 has more edge length, but the Leaf Jumper and Rock Jumper have more edge than the Caly 3. I was surprised to learn when I first got the Rock Jumper that it has essentially the same edge length as the Manix. Same with the Leaf Jumper.

If you haven't handled a RJ it is significantly more significant in hand than the Delica.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I had envisioned a more Sage leaf blade shape myself. But I'll be very happy with this I think. With inflation this really is one of the better deals going.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:43 am
I don't know why but my brain just didn't put together the leaf part with blade shape, and I was expecting a straight spine for some reason. In my mind this handle design is such an improvement over handles like the Delica that I just can't understand why anyone would pick a Delica over this but I guess that's just how people differ.
Agreed. I was hoping for a more traditional "modified clip" point, I guess - along the lines of the Delica, Endura, or Military family.
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:49 pm
The blade shape is certainly leaf shaped in my opinion and it’s very reminiscent of the Caly 3 blade in my eyes. The LeafJumper is a lot like a “handle forward” Caly 3.
Agreed again. I do think it's a good leaf blade shape, just different from what I was expecting. Silly me!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I went back to the start of the thread, actually, and funny enough I found this mockup I made last year.

Clearly, I had a straight-spine in mind, but that's my bad - the real-deal LeafJumper is in fact a leaf-shape blade, just like the Caly, Sage, and Chaparral families.

So, Sal: any chance of a Modified Clip Jumper next? Perhaps even, the Cliff Jumper? :winking-tongue
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:21 pm
I went back to the start of the thread, actually, and funny enough I found this mockup I made last year.

Clearly, I had a straight-spine in mind, but that's my bad - the real-deal LeafJumper is in fact a leaf-shape blade, just like the Caly, Sage, and Chaparral families.

So, Sal: any chance of a Modified Clip Jumper next? Perhaps even, the Cliff Jumper? :winking-tongue
I think the potential bigger RockJumper is tentatively being called the CliffJumper, but this isn’t a bad idea.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Matus

Post by Matus »

The question is whether there is a room left for a larger Leaf Jumper since it is basically the Caribbean ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was picturing something a bit longer than a carribean and closer to 4 inches, for the “Sequoia” (larger leaf jumper).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:07 am
The question is whether there is a room left for a larger Leaf Jumper since it is basically the Caribbean ...

There are actually 4 models that have quite a lot in common in terms of ergonomics and overall design...

Caribbean
Tenacious
Leaf Jumper
Lil Temp 3

Besides some ergonomic nuances that differ, at least 3 of them have different lock types to separate them. The real redundancy is if they make a Lil Temp 3 XL (not sure if you'd still call that a "Lil" and XL at the same time) because then that will be very similar to the Caribbean and it'll really just be those ergonomic nuances and materials/country of origin that differ.

Anyway, I'd be on board with a Rock/Leaf Jumper XL even with how much I love my Caribbean because the lock difference alone is enough to make it a new knife for me. Many of us have talked about a back lock Caribbean and this could mostly satisfy that need and could potentially even be made into a Salt model.

I love the idea of the "Jumper" family getting a size range like the Tenacious family has.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Ok now that I’ve done some searching, Sal indeed said the CliffJumper and Sequoia are 4 inch blades.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

If there were a Jumper family size range, it could follow that old "hop, skip, and a jump" saying. Leafhopper, Leafskipper, Leafjumper-- anyone?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Toucan wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 am
If there were a Jumper family size range, it could follow that old "hop, skip, and a jump" saying. Leafhopper, Leafskipper, Leafjumper-- anyone?

That is exactly the kind of silly shenanigans I'd expect from Spyderco. I love it. Hop/Skip/Jump/Leap. It's brilliant.
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:18 am
Toucan wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 am

That is exactly the kind of silly shenanigans I'd expect from Spyderco. I love it. Hop/Skip/Jump/Leap. It's brilliant.
It is kinda brilliant.
As much as like the idea of the Cliffjumper name, for obvious reasons, I’d like a good family of knives using this design concept, with a clever naming convention to match, a bit more.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That looks great! I’m holding out for the Cliffjumper. A handle-forward Endura size is what I’m hoping for after my recent Pac Salt revelation. I guess I’m dividing into Urban-sized discreet carry and bigger blade carry, and the middle is losing favor.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s clever but also kind of arbitrary and confusing, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:52 am
Matus wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:07 am

There are actually 4 models that have quite a lot in common in terms of ergonomics and overall design...

Caribbean
Tenacious
Leaf Jumper
Lil Temp 3

Besides some ergonomic nuances that differ, at least 3 of them have different lock types to separate them. The real redundancy is if they make a Lil Temp 3 XL (not sure if you'd still call that a "Lil" and XL at the same time) because then that will be very similar to the Caribbean and it'll really just be those ergonomic nuances and materials/country of origin that differ.

Anyway, I'd be on board with a Rock/Leaf Jumper XL even with how much I love my Caribbean because the lock difference alone is enough to make it a new knife for me. Many of us have talked about a back lock Caribbean and this could mostly satisfy that need and could potentially even be made into a Salt model.

I love the idea of the "Jumper" family getting a size range like the Tenacious family has.
I would add the Polestar to the list. I think it really serves almost as a prototype (except for lock of course) for a larger Leaf Jumper: make that a backlock with VG-10 and there you have it.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Evil D wrote:
In my mind this handle design is such an improvement over handles like the Delica that I just can't understand why anyone would pick a Delica over this but I guess that's just how people differ.
I think the Delica shaped handles can work especially well with some peoples smaller hands. I haven't held a Delica specifically, but I have held some very similarly dimensioned handles that feel good and really lock into my small hands.

This leaf jumper has me pretty interested though, it fits many of my requirements well. Kind of like a back lock Manix in my mind.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 pm
Evil D wrote:
In my mind this handle design is such an improvement over handles like the Delica that I just can't understand why anyone would pick a Delica over this but I guess that's just how people differ.
I think the Delica shaped handles can work especially well with some peoples smaller hands. I haven't held a Delica specifically, but I have held some very similarly dimensioned handles that feel good and really lock into my small hands.

This leaf jumper has me pretty interested though, it fits many of my requirements well. Kind of like a back lock Manix in my mind.

That's exactly where I think this handle is superior to the Delica, it can accommodate more hand sizes and thick gloves without issues. The handle forward part is a totally separate bonus.
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Just wish that both RockJumper & LeafJumper had blade lengths of 2.99” instead of 3.08”-3.09”. It would make them compliant in more jurisdictions.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:38 pm
Just wish that both RockJumper & LeafJumper had blade lengths of 2.99” instead of 3.08”-3.09”. It would make them compliant in more jurisdictions.
seems like one or two sharpenings will take care of that. 1/100th of an inch doesn't seem worth worrying about.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C