LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Re: LeafJumper

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd be impressed if someone was able to crack those corners. Zytel is pretty tough, and I'm not sure how one would manage to do it without trying to pry with the corners of the handles. As for dirt getting trapped, those spaces are pretty insignificant compared to the large pockets further in the handle. They might rework the liners to fill the gaps at some point, but if they don't, it shouldn't be all that big of a deal. At least they're near the ends of the handles, so they should be easier to rinse out.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just in case anyone is subscribed to this thread and didn't see the Reveal.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think it will be a good value alternative for lefty users over the Temp3 which is also a great knife . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Looks like a great design for versatile edc use. Couple things throwing me off about the looks is how the plunge line doesn’t meet at the top of the spines thumb ramp, and how far away the Spydie logo looks from the hole.
:bug-red-white
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am glad this one is out. I will most likely not get one as I need to pause my buying spree of the past 6 months, but I really hope it will join the rest of the family and come out in k390 later down the road. Spyderco has way too few models without a finger choil or a ricasso.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It looks like a winner to me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really like both the rock and leaf jumper designs. i'm holding out for salts though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
olywa

Post by olywa »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:36 pm
i really like both the rock and leaf jumper designs. i'm holding out for salts though.
I like them both as well. I have a RJ PE and plan on picking up a LJ SE as soon as they drop. The handle fits my hand like it was made for me and they represent a good value for me as well. I would love to see them released in K390 next if I had my druthers.
Last edited by olywa on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Killer knife.

I'm not sure that it's 100% what I expected, but the more I look at it the more I like it.

I'm hoping this'll be the Delica for the rest of us - the only thing that seems a bit concerning to me is the hook at the butt of the knife. I'm an XL gloves kinda guy, so the more neutral the handle the better.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:00 pm
Killer knife.

I'm not sure that it's 100% what I expected, but the more I look at it the more I like it.

I'm hoping this'll be the Delica for the rest of us - the only thing that seems a bit concerning to me is the hook at the butt of the knife. I'm an XL gloves kinda guy, so the more neutral the handle the better.
JSumm may have a picture in Gallery thread in your hand that may be helpful . Just a thought. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:00 pm
Killer knife.

It certainly is "the Delica for me" but I guess it depends on how XL your hands are vs mine. It fits my hand just barely, It's not as roomy as a Caribbean but I like it a lot, it's an excellent work knife. I don't like pinky hooks unless the handle is big enough to fit my hand so the hook works like it should and my pinky doesn't land on it, but I don't have that issue at all with this handle, I think the curve of the hook is just right so even when my pinky lands on the very end, it's more of a platform than a hook.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm really looking forward to this one. Probably won't get the SE, just a PE. I would love it if it came out in K390; love Seki's treatment of it and love that color of FRN they use. I'd get another RJ too if it was in K390.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:26 pm
JSumm may have a picture in Gallery thread in your hand that may be helpful . Just a thought. Dan
Thanks Dan!
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:49 pm
It certainly is "the Delica for me" but I guess it depends on how XL your hands are vs mine. It fits my hand just barely, It's not as roomy as a Caribbean but I like it a lot, it's an excellent work knife. I don't like pinky hooks unless the handle is big enough to fit my hand so the hook works like it should and my pinky doesn't land on it, but I don't have that issue at all with this handle, I think the curve of the hook is just right so even when my pinky lands on the very end, it's more of a platform than a hook.
Man, thanks very much for the pics David - makes me feel a lot better.

And funny enough, while I am normally a leaf, clip, or drop-point kinda guy... I really love the blade on your rock Jumper. I was waiting to see the leaf jumper, but maybe I just want a rock jumper after all.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Leafjumper ended up surprising me with the shape of the… leaf, I guess, so I’m actually considering it now. I really hope sales justify more variations and experiments with the concept behind this design.
There are so many Spyderco’s I will eventually get around to trying, even if they become hard to track down, but the serrated Rockjumper is currently at the top of the “buy as as soon as possible” list now along with the 15 Manix.

Two performance minded ventures from Spyderco and friends that I really want to support and experience. I’ve become really passionate about knife design and performance, and in my mind those knives, along with a couple others like the production Spy27 Mule, represent some of the most attainable examples of recent innovation relating to different aspects of my interest.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would love to get my hands on the Leaf Jumper, even if it is named for a tiny insect. :winking-tongue

Seriously, this is a great design. I haven't handled one, but I can tell from the attributes that it is a winner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 pm
The Leafjumper ended up surprising me with the shape of the… leaf, I guess, so I’m actually considering it now. I really hope sales justify more variations and experiments with the concept behind this design.

I don't know why but my brain just didn't put together the leaf part with blade shape, and I was expecting a straight spine for some reason. In my mind this handle design is such an improvement over handles like the Delica that I just can't understand why anyone would pick a Delica over this but I guess that's just how people differ.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Well, that blade shape isn’t quite what I was expecting. Leaf ? Not quite… I stick with my beloved RJ.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:08 pm
Well, that blade shape isn’t quite what I was expecting. Leaf ? Not quite… I stick with my beloved RJ.
Then what is it?
:bug-red-white
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 pm
elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:08 pm
Then what is it?
Just a Jumper :winking-tongue
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The blade shape is certainly leaf shaped in my opinion and it’s very reminiscent of the Caly 3 blade in my eyes. The LeafJumper is a lot like a “handle forward” Caly 3.
-Nick :bug-red