LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: LeafJumper

Post by thewoodpecker »

Exciting thread. I have a SE RockJumper and will probably add a few more if they become available in K390 or LC200N Salt. LeafJumper will be great as well…a nice companion to the LW Caly 3.5!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I find myself carrying the Rock Jumper today again. And it had me thinking of the Leaf Jumper. Again. The leaf shape blade is probably my favorite to carry, especially on the Manix. Although I wish the Manix was humpless like the Native family.

The leaf shape is quite versatile. You can get your thumb all the way to the tip easily. Although admittedly, you can do that on the Rock Jumper. The overall slight belly that the Manix has is almost like a Warncliffe edge, but has just enough belly that will come in handy for certain cuts. Combine that with the edge being right in front of your first finger and wow!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 am
I find myself carrying the Rock Jumper today again. And it had me thinking of the Leaf Jumper. Again. The leaf shape blade is probably my favorite to carry, especially on the Manix. Although I wish the Manix was humpless like the Native family.

The leaf shape is quite versatile. You can get your thumb all the way to the tip easily. Although admittedly, you can do that on the Rock Jumper. The overall slight belly that the Manix has is almost like a Warncliffe edge, but has just enough belly that will come in handy for certain cuts. Combine that with the edge being right in front of your first finger and wow!
This is one model I have been hoping a dealer or Spyderco would upgrade in color and steel . After reading reviews and opinions on the Forum , I have a very strong interest in this knife . Since it is supposed to be a specialized knife why not give the knife a designated color as the Salt series ? Just thinking (which can be dangerous) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 am
This is one model I have been hoping a dealer or Spyderco would upgrade in color and steel . After reading reviews and opinions on the Forum , I have a very strong interest in this knife . Since it is supposed to be a specialized knife why not give the knife a designated color as the Salt series ? Just thinking (which can be dangerous) MG2
I have some preferences listed here. These are just preferences. I think designated color and steel would be really cool!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90970&p=1569565#p1569565

I think the leaf shape would take this from a more specialized tool to a great all-rounder.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 am
I have some preferences listed here. These are just preferences. I think designated color and steel would be really cool!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90970&p=1569565#p1569565

I think the leaf shape would take this from a more specialized tool to a great all-rounder.
Thank you , I remember the post and it was very interesting. My thoughts pertaining to steel has to do with the different types of weather conditions a knife of this type would encounter and color to aid the user . Sorry for rambling just brainstorming. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 am
Hi Kennethsime,

We will see a Leaf-Jumper as well. It's on the works. We're doing a lot more gambling in that we're making FRN tooling without the slab scale test version. The costs have gotten too high on the slab scaled pilots and it doesn't tell us what we need to know as a test if we don't sell enough of them.

Also working on a bigger one.

sal
Leaf jumper, yes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 am
Hi Kennethsime,

We will see a Leaf-Jumper as well. It's on the works. We're doing a lot more gambling in that we're making FRN tooling without the slab scale test version. The costs have gotten too high on the slab scaled pilots and it doesn't tell us what we need to know as a test if we don't sell enough of them.

Also working on a bigger one.

sal

I know you guys probably have no shortage of people at the factory or just in the office who can use and test knives, but feel free to mail me whatever you want tested and I can always mail it back when I'm finished. I'll give you as unbiased opinions as I can give and document the use as detailed as you like. I also have practically zero presence in social media so there's no risk of me leaking products before you want them share.

Just throwing it out there 😉
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I mean, I want Spyderco to keep selling knives and being successful, but a Leaf Jumper would likely be the one to end my knife buying for a long time. I just love the handle and the aesthetics that much.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 am
I mean, I want Spyderco to keep selling knives and being successful, but a Leaf Jumper would likely be the one to end my knife buying for a long time. I just love the handle and the aesthetics that much.
Give it the quite a bit discussed already "as-long-as-possible" blade and there's a chance I'd join you...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Give it the quite a bit discussed already "as-long-as-possible" blade and there's a chance I'd join you...
Meh. That tiny bit of blade length doesn't make a difference either way for me. Honestly, give me anything but a hawkbill in that handle and I'd likely buy one.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
benben

Post by benben »

StuntZombie wrote:
I’m with you, I’m actually pretty close now with my K390 Endela. A Leaf Jumper with a Manix shaped blade profile might just throw my over the top! And I really don’t care which steel they use….
sal

Post by sal »

We've already made arrangements to lengthen the blade a bit on both the Leaf and Rock Jumpers if they go a 2nd run. I have a sample of the original Leaf Jumper on its way to me for approval. If the go a 2nd run we'll consider the larger versions. Sill testing the "handle forward" design concept.

sal

sal
sal

Post by sal »

[/quote]I know you guys probably have no shortage of people at the factory or just in the office who can use and test knives, but feel free to mail me whatever you want tested and I can always mail it back when I'm finished. I'll give you as unbiased opinions as I can give and document the use as detailed as you like. I also have practically zero presence in social media so there's no risk of me leaking products before you want them share.

Just throwing it out there 😉
[/quote]

Thanx much for the offer David, Maybe we'll send a "test piece" to you to re-profile the teeth? :shush

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope it goes to another run. This is an interesting knife and concept.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wow!
I’m really glad to learn that the longer blades are under consideration.
It might not mean much in actual added blade/edge length, but I’ve pointed out my rationale already, and for me it really makes the difference of this being a valid option or not.
Now I really hope we get to see round two!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:50 pm

Thanx much for the offer David, Maybe we'll send a "test piece" to you to re-profile the teeth? :shush

sal

Bring it on 😎
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:47 pm
We've already made arrangements to lengthen the blade a bit on both the Leaf and Rock Jumpers if they go a 2nd run. I have a sample of the original Leaf Jumper on its way to me for approval. If the go a 2nd run we'll consider the larger versions. Sill testing the "handle forward" design concept.

sal

sal
Sal, this is absolutely great news!!! Thanks!
I am sure those who already are 100% fine with the current a bit shorter blade stil won't mind a bit of more length, while those who appreciate the latter will like the great Rockjumper design even more!
Thanks again, this really made my day and I so hope it will actually happen! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

benben wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:30 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
I’m with you, I’m actually pretty close now with my K390 Endela. A Leaf Jumper with a Manix shaped blade profile might just throw my over the top! And I really don’t care which steel they use….
It's funny, because it's pretty big when closed, which is usually a bit of a pet peeve of mine. But the handle just feels so great in my hands, that it doesn't even bother me.
sal wrote: We've already made arrangements to lengthen the blade a bit on both the Leaf and Rock Jumpers if they go a 2nd run. I have a sample of the original Leaf Jumper on its way to me for approval. If the go a 2nd run we'll consider the larger versions. Sill testing the "handle forward" design concept.

sal

sal
I really hope we get to see the design stick around, whether its with the original blade, a leaf shaped one, or with a slightly larger one. As someone who tries to avoid models with finger choils, the Rockjumper quickly became a favorite. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as to call it my favorite Spyderco design.

The only way it could be even better is with a solid FRN handle. ;)
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Put me down for the 1st run and bring on the 2nd!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Dear Sal....
You might take up to consideration an update to a shape of internal steel liners as they currently do not exactly match the handle mould shape at corners making the corners more prone to crack and leaving extra space for dirt....

Rock Jumper compared to older FRN models (Endura 4 and Stretch)

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear