Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: Why did you join?

Post by awa54 »

Hello Sal and thanks for everything you do!

I originally joined to get information on a few specific Spyderco knives, but kept coming back for the excellent discussion and good company (plus the never-ending stream of Spyderco knowledge and lore).

I've belonged to many forums over the years and most have cycles of peace and strife, some have a ruling class of "cool kids" or self appointed Elites, others lack good infrastructure/design and a few even suffer from inept or unbalanced moderation... While no human endeavor is perfect, the even keel and quality of members here is well above average for the format, as is the reliable function of the forum and these strengths have kept me coming back for many years now (the great knives don't hurt either :) ).

As an individual of obvious talent and integrity, it seems you surround yourself with others who also possess those traits, it looks to have worked for Spyderco, both with the product and other aspects of the brand, like this forum!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Most knife makers must have little girl hands because their knives do not fit my hand well. Spyderco thinks about that and there are many models that fit my hand really well. That is enough of a reason to be here, for me. However, another is that Sal tolerates my hare brained ideas.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The very same reason crack heads hang out with crack heads :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:36 am
Road Tripper wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:43 pm

I appreciate their practical aesthetics and performance, and absolutely love the Spydiehole for opening. My two favorites at the moment are the sadly discontinued mid-backlock Manix and the Delica wharncliffe.

You have good taste. The mid back lock Manix 2 is my one knife knife. I love it. The Delica is my favorite locking knife of that size range.

Try a Manix 2 light weight out. I think you'll love it.
Thanks Dan. I had to get a backup of the mid-backlock Manix, as it is nearly perfect for my hand. I did try a Manix lightweight and liked it, but I'm hoping we might see a version that isn't pinned (not that I look forward to disassembling a CBBL!).
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

My father was an avid hunter and fisherman. Growing up in the 70's my parents had cabin in Northern Michigan on a trout stream. We hunted Whitetail Deer, Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, and Ring Neck Pheasants at down-state fields. We fished like fools. Pops bought full-tang blades from a catalog and built the guard, handle and butt cap. I always carried a fixed blade on my belt all weekend. My brother gifted me a Delica in the 90s when I started my professional life and a family. Spyderco has been part of my life ever since...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:10 pm
:D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

A friend gifted me a Tenacious, then I started snooping around the Spyderco site and getting more interested in Spyderco knives. Then I found the forum. It is the only forum I belong to. I signed up mostly to share ideas with like minded people. Also, I live at the end of the road, in the middle of no where. There is nearly nobody who is keen to talk knives up here. Lots of Bear Grylls knives in the campgrounds and hunters with knives made from old sawmill steel. There are military guys around who carry Spyderco, but their knives are issued through work and I have not met one of them who appreciates what they have, it's just another work tool. The forum has been a wonderful place for me to share the enthusiasm for Spyderco and the evolution of steel. I have met many people who EDC here, not one who has heard of powder steel, and not one who understands paying 50+ for a knife. Living in the north has pushed my brain over the edge at least once. I especially like the forum people who were willing to correct my behavior here and still let me participate. In general it is just a really positive experience, once one is able to let go of the fomo.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I joined 8 years ago to inquire about carbon fiber grit in my (then) new Caly 3.5 pivot, my third Spyderco. That was over 100 spydies back, so the forum must have made a pretty good impression on me ;)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat May 08, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since I did an accidental double post, I may as well add that some of the oldest and most respected members quickly helped me with the problem, although, IIRC I had made a disparaging comment about the problem at the time, on my very first post :o I haven't been around much during this past year but am looking forward to trying to catch up :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:51 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:10 pm
:D

:spyder:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Satisfaction
Perfection
Yearning
Desire
Education
Recreation
Connectivity
Organization

Friendship
Outlast
Reveal
Universe
Memory
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I was a member of the forum with a long forgotten username maybe 12ish years ago for a while. My interest in knives moved from folders to fixed blade outdoors knives for many years. Got back on this forum to catch up/keep up with the plethora of interesting steels that are out now. Finding and reading Knife Steel Nerds also very much rekindled my interest in high performance steels, especially when combined with good edge geometry.

My interest in Spyderco happened because when I was first looking for a proper quality knife, they were one of the few companies making truly left hand friendly knives at the time. Started off with a Delica and then slowly descended into the world of the knife nerd.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

16 years ago I fell in love with Spyderco knives through Knives encyclopedy from Oliver Achard. 2 years after that in 2007 I joined forums and purchased my first knife - Byrd Cara Cara and around that time when Tenacious came out I bought that one as first "legit" spyderco with spydiehole. My old nickname Jester84 was as per my most favorite knife Jester (this little belowed fella was stolen from me) and 84 for year when my love Police knife was introduced first.

Warm welcome and galant behaviour of "Old Guard" here were something that kept me here for some time and I always enjoyed galeries and posts from Simona (Czech gal, my countryfellow), Mr.Blonde with his great reviews and heads ups about news, WhyNot with beautiful mirror photos, TonyDahose and his amazing Kopas collecting journey, Deacon and his Kiwi addiction, Lerman and his Spyderco journey in Israel if I am not mistaken, etc... Great people here and precious memories, courteous discussions and last but not least your involvement Sal in the forums...

I took some break from all forums including USN, got back after few years as I missed you all. What saddens me is some people left us for good, some people just stopped to be active here but I am looking forward to meet new spyderconuts and read new stories.

Let me maybe thank you Sal and your team (Kristi!) for wonderful opportunity to be part of this community.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Thanks to Dr Lecter and his trustworthy PE Harpy i’m a fan of Spyderco since 2014. I was scrolling through the forum as guest from time to time and decided to do it officially only now.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I joined to read and occasionally interact with others that are like minded. I only have two friends that are knife collectors so not a ton of info to pass around between us. This is a great place to read other opinions/reviews etc. Also joined as Im impressed by the civil manner that people conduct themselves here. It's so rare on the dirty interweb. It's really strengthened my love for spyderco. Im a fan for life. Cheers all!
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

For me it started roughly five years ago when I was gifted my first Spyderco a Tenacious.

I was absolutely blown away by the performance and quality of the product. I was even surprised to find the "China" stamp as I used to associate it with low quality. It became my favorite knife that I ever owned and it went everywhere with me for two years. It would of been longer too... but one faithful day during travel I originally put it in my check in bag. Then, at the last minute I shoved everything into one bag to turn it into a carry on (forgetting my knife), and TSA ended up confiscating it.

Once I came back from my trip my mind was on one thing... Getting another Spyderco,
but I decided if I was going to buy one it had to be Golden. So I went down to my local Military Surplus Store, and handled a few knives. The PM2 stood above and beyond to me for sleekness, and ease of deployment. I never seen, or even heard of a compression lock knife. It opened Pandora's Knife Box so to speak because after that my knife collection exploded. I now have roughly 10 Spyderco folders, three fixed blades, the sharpmaker, and a set of throwing knives. I started to join similar groups, and this forum to speak with like minded enthusiasts. I ended up making some new friends by selling, trading, and buying. Now my knife pile has grown pretty diverse, but the themes are the same. I look for ergonomic, one handed opening knives that perform.

Being a customer of Spyderco has allowed me to access a world I never knew, but always wanted to be a part of. Ever since I was a child I gravitated towards knives, swords, and history in general. In my teen years I had a few "beaters", but nothing worth more than 20 dollars. Since I always enjoyed the outdoors, and camping it was a perfect excuse to buy knives / axes. Asides from immensely enjoying Spyderco's products. They also took care of me when I reached out to their customer service team a few times. They fixed an issue I had with my Native, and they even acknowledged my complaint regarding a dealer exclusive. They could of blown me off on the last instance, but instead they reached out and sent me a catalog plus some Spyder swag to make up for it.

As long as Spyderco continues to make quality products with the customer in mind, I will always be a firm Spyderhead. There are other brands, and other knives out there but Spyderco is consistent with their commitment to the user. I also really enjoy the origin story of the company, and I like that it's an American family business.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I was a lurker for a good while. I finally joined when I got frustrated not being able to ask questions and participate in the discourse. I joined In order to start this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89444&p=1515208&hil ... g#p1515208
"Some call me...Tim?"
malice

Post by malice »

Well I was recommended spyderco by a buddy of mine when I needed a rescue/emergency knife.
I ended up with a atlantic salt and dragonfly.

And afterwards I just got bitten by the bug ;-)

Now Spyderco is the most represented brand in my collection, and I have few regrets buying them.

The salt DF is still my most carried knife bar none.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Someone once told me that Spyderco made their decisions based on our forum inputs. So I joined to give mine.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Sal,

Thanks for taking the time to ask this question.

I enjoy the depth and breadth of the discussions that take place on this forum. They are intelligent, and they cover a wide range of topics and models. In contrast, some forums consist primarily of anticipation and picture threads, and the members only seem interested in a few of the more popular models.

This forum has those threads too; however, they aren't the sole focus. Instead, many of the threads are centered on intelligent, thought-provoking topics. For example, I just read Evil D's sticky on serrated edges. Outstanding! It's threads like that which keep me coming back to this forum.

And members give attention to nearly all of Spyderco's offerings, not just the best-sellers. I like that.

Finally, I appreciate the friendliness and civility that characterizes this place. I don't enjoy forums where enthusiasts constantly fight and argue over minutia. This is a hobby, so if it's not fun, then what's the point?

Again, thanks for asking.