Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Why did you join?

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:36 am
Lonehunter wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:57 am
I see the oldest join date and one shared by a few here including Sal , is Sept 24 2004 . Was that the start date then ?

I believe that was a reset day when the forum was basically rebuilt. Pretty sure that's why so many dates are on 2004. I've seen this on other forums.
I had noticed that alleged reset date of Sept 24, 2004 shortly after I joined. However I joined just 4 days afterward in Sept 28, 2004 which I guess would appear strange to many to keep track of dates and the amount of posts.

It was so different in the first two years I became a Spyderville citizen. There are very few of the original gang left. The Deacon has more longevity than anyone else here. But we had a core gang who mostly stayed here till about 2009-2010. Then it seemed like the entire paradigm changed at that point.

However in many ways it changed for the better. The internet sure changed a lot in the area of communications. Many specialty companies like Spyderco have really enjoyed a lot of success because of it.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I started with the USN. But my first was a Endura before the usn. I came back to Spyderco tho and love this place. There is great discussion here covering steel, ergos, and knife geometry. And with so many options Spyderco leads the pack. Especially the use of so much tool steel is what keeps me. I'm a tool steel addict!!
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I joined because Spyderco knives are my favorite. I carry one or two every day. I was doing some research and stumbled on to the forum. After a couple of days shifting through all the threads, I knew I had found a special thing. Plus the people on here are down to earth and know a ton more about my favorites than I do. This is the only forum I’ve ever subbed too. I enjoy the sprint and exclusive runs as much as the staples. Great brand. Great people. Thanks
MRj “Weak things break!”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mrj,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
6inline

Post by 6inline »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:38 am
Hi 6inline, Ironkid, Sailor1010 and NCC,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Hello Sal,

Thank you for the welcome, and of course, the tremendous designs.

Cheers,
Kendal.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I was looking for a place to discuss my knife/edge hobby with like-minded people who view knives as utility packed, functional art.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Higher

Post by Higher »

paladin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:29 am
... knives as functional art
I will remember this phrase. That sounds good.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I was looking for very specific information and pleasantly was led down a rabbit hole that ended exactly where I should be. It was well worth it.
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

This is my first post so just wanted to say Hi , I used to have a few Spydercos between 10 and 15 years ago but kind of fell out of love with them until I bought a Tenacious last week and shortly followed by a Delica 4 in Stainless. I’m so pleased with them and it’s good to be back. So looks like I’m going back down the rabbit hole. I joined the forum because it’s the best way to keep up with what’s going on with Spyderco and also for answers to questions I have and also as a sense of belonging to a community that interests me very much.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I work in the computer field and, while it's interesting, the work by its nature is intangible. I had a yearning to be involved with more tactile items, and for whatever reason pocket knives caught my fancy. I watched a few videos, dipped my toes in the water with some non-Spydercos, and eventually got a Dragonfly 2. Since then, I've tried and moved along a bunch of knives, and Spydercos have come to dominate my small collection.

I appreciate their practical aesthetics and performance, and absolutely love the Spydiehole for opening. My two favorites at the moment are the sadly discontinued mid-backlock Manix and the Delica wharncliffe.

It's fascinating to me how a simple concept -- a sharp piece of metal with a handle -- can be expressed in so many ways and thus suited to many different purposes. Someday I'd like to try my hand at knife-making.

As I went along, I found my way to this forum, and have been read-only for a few years. I appreciate all the knowledge and camaraderie shared here, and especially appreciate the grace, patience, and kindness that Sal always shows. It's on my bucket list to visit the SFO someday! I also hope to make it to a Blade Show.

I'm looking forward to participating here.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Road Tripper:
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Road Tripper wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:43 pm

I appreciate their practical aesthetics and performance, and absolutely love the Spydiehole for opening. My two favorites at the moment are the sadly discontinued mid-backlock Manix and the Delica wharncliffe.

You have good taste. The mid back lock Manix 2 is my one knife knife. I love it. The Delica is my favorite locking knife of that size range.

Try a Manix 2 light weight out. I think you'll love it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I really like Spyderco knives. This form is a great resource for knives. I view several forums (not just for knives) but this is the most constructive and civil forum I have seen so I decided to participate (albeit lightly). I was a lurker for a while before I joined but I am glad to see over time things have not changed in a way for the worse. Keep it going everyone:)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Learning new things, and getting inspiration, are always great. Those are the main reasons I joined. I've done plenty of both in my brief time here.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

In 1991 I bought a spyderco delica with SE G-2 blade, it’s quietly been my EDC for daily ranch and also offshore fishing knife, has done so much in that time , I have picked up a few more delica in cruwear and 440v , then the Byrd line came out and I bought basically a case of cara cara and meadowlark, for my employees and hunters, because they were perfectly matched for
Ranch and maritime work.
Then one day I was given a spyderco stretch 2 in V- toku2 steel and I was told about this site to
Learn about toku steel and now the bug has bitten me, I usually use this as a reference for knives I might want to buy, I love it
So much good information
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Great people, and more relaxed than other knife related forums. Plus, I am mainly interested in Spydies and not many other brands. First Spydie was a Scorpius. I had to know more about it. Where else do you get to interact directly with the owners and great people that work at the company.

Been here since 2006. Still love it....just post less and read more. Used to be David Lowry (still am, but not my forum name).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jdw

Post by jdw »

I fell in love with Sal’s designs and concepts without really knowing the skills that it takes to make a knife. I raised a great son, lurked around for a while and found that this is both one of the most knowledgeable and friendly places on the internet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

At first, years ago, when I saw Spydies - I was like "what a weird overpriced knives". But as I became more addicted to a knife hobby, I began to understand its ergonomics and essense.
Then I found this forum and was very impressed by Spyderco attitude - not only they communicate with customers but can hear and work on feedback.
:spyder: Team really deserve our respect and affection.
Also I found this place so calm and polite, without arrogance or toxicity. Which is kind of rare nowadays.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:08 am
Hi, Road Tripper:
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
Thank you Kristi!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I joined because I’m a steel junkie.