Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austrian_spyder_fan

Re: Why did you join?

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:37 pm
Hi Marcelo,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for sharing your story. Thanx for the kind words but There is a whole lot more than me going on here. Kind of like a family. Mike Janich calls us a "gang". :p I hoped you enjoy your time here.

aal
What do you think?
"Sal and the Spydergang" could be a band name.
;)
ASF
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason,

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ironkid883 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:34 am
Hey newb on here been languishing over on the busse subforum on bladeforums for years .
I joined because I want to branch out and try some new knives I have had some studies in the past but had to sell them I currently own none but have my eyes on a street beat as I had the larger one previously .
I would also love to try a mule as I am into forging and making knives as a hobby .
Thanks for having me jason aka ironkid883
Also I am in ireland dunno if theres any other irish on here

Welcome to the forum!
I am not aware of any other member from Ireland, at least not one who posts a lot...so even better that you´re here now! :)

Greetings from Austria,

Gernot
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Ironkid883 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:34 am
Hey newb on here been languishing over on the busse subforum on bladeforums for years .
I joined because I want to branch out and try some new knives I have had some studies in the past but had to sell them I currently own none but have my eyes on a street beat as I had the larger one previously .
I would also love to try a mule as I am into forging and making knives as a hobby .
Thanks for having me jason aka ironkid883
Also I am in ireland dunno if theres any other irish on here
Hi Jason,

connas a tatu? Have not seen many Irish here. I am new here also and my name is Welch (Breathnach), but grew up in Chile, so Irish descent, go figure.

Welcome to the forum and may the road rise upon you.

Go with luck (sloan g‘foal).
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I think I may be another one that discovered this place through Bladeforums. I joined because I decided a long time ago that Spyderco was my favorite brand of pocket knives. I was picking up other brands here and there, but they weren't sticking around. They were always missing something. Spyderco's designs just appeal to me more.

There's the occasional tiff on here, but it's certainly more civil. And since it seems my thoughts and stances on politics don't necessarily mesh with the majority of the other folks in this hobby, it's nice to have a forum where that kind of discussion is discouraged. The focus is on the knives, as it should be.

And it's just great that the owner of the company takes the time to chime in now and then. I always enjoy learning about the history of a particular model, or hearing the reasoning behind some of the design choices. It's nice to get that peek behind the curtain.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 am
Hi All,

I guess I've been doing the forum thing for a couple of decades now. While I've seen many come and go as the hobby / intgerest is not for everyone, I have seen a number of folks hang in for years as we discussed things not often discussed in forums about designs, steel, performance, etc. I feel like I've come to know many like; Paul, Joe, Darby, etc. in this endeavor.

In the last couple of years, we've had quite an influx of new people join the forum and participate in our discussions.

So I would like to know; Why did you join this forum?

sal
So, I couldn't remember a specific reason. Looks like I lurked for some months before jumping in. I had to search my first post and saw that some of our usual characters were there JD, Paul, Joe, Doc, Spydutch and a few that have faded out. I don't recall why I joined, other than to learn from these great people; but I know why I have stayed. We have a great group here and many who have stuck it out longer than myself. While we don't always agree, we learn from each other, share a common passion and have respect for the Spydercrew, including Sal and Taz. They set the tone, and we are at our best when we follow it. So maybe I came for the knives, but stayed for the people.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sailor1010

Post by Sailor1010 »

I have been reading the forum or years at this point. I casually purchase and have amassed currently a PM2 in S30V, PM2 BHQ M4 Tanto, PM3 CTS-XHP Cuttlery Shoppe Orange, PM3 DLT Cruwear Purple. etc. However, I have still not found my perfect knife so I come here to read what is up and coming and the specs of those while hoping one day I will find my perfect match.

My activity of choice is sailing and being on the water. I have never found my perfect knife for this yet, and while some are close, they are not for me. One hand for me, one had for the boat. This means I want an easily deployed and closed knife that I won't have an issues with.

The Caribbean sheepsfoot as an example, is about as close to what I would like, but it is too big, and misses a lot for me. I love the shape of the blade, but I find it a bit too big in every dimension, and while some like the scales, I cannot stand them. We all know the spydie hole makes one hand open easy, so this is an easy check mark to hit. For me, the compression lock, or the ball lock are the best easy of closing locks in the line up. Sure back locks due this too to some degree, but you still have to finagle the knife a bit more and not the drop shutty action I am looking for. Since salt is huge in the sailing scene, a LC200N blade and fittings or titanium fittings would be excellent. I really don't like the FRN handles as I find a huge advantage with the G10. With the G10, the space between the handles, makes a perfect shackle key which comes in handy quite often on a sailboat. I usually use the area by the lanyard tube for this.

I guess it narrows my perfect knife to something between a PM2, to PM3 size, sheepsfoot blade, LC200N or high stainless blade, with lc200n fittings or titanium for corrosion, with G10 handles or something similar for the spacing.

Most of the Salt series just doesn't do it for me as they are FRN, and lockbacks.

So one day, perhaps I will find the perfect match. Until then, I keep reading, drooling and loving the company and their actions. A company like Spyderco seems to be one in a million these days. The engagement of its ownership, designers, and the community just doesn't happen much these days. Thank you for bringing these magnificent tools and organization to the masses.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Lurked for a long time. Joined to pick up the 2013 S110V Native forum knife.

It was my first Native and it turns out my hand didn't like Natives at all. Sold it.

Eventually got four of the Blurple knives, so all's well that end's well.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I came here, because the Spyderco website told me, this is a good place to ask questions and post pictures of suspect knives.
Since then, I read and learned a lot.
My input is pretty low, but nonetheless I enjoy the friendly environment here.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I joined because I wanted to be part of the community.
Stay sharp!
Johnnyh

Post by Johnnyh »

Thank Chris Reeve! I'm 67 years old and since the age of about 8 have always had a knife of one form or another on my person. Always. Over the last 10 years or so I have grown to consider a flashlight an essential as well. I insist on reliability over all else and eventually ended up with some Elzettas and some HDS lights. They proved to be so reliable that I saw no reason to own several of them so I traded an HDS Rotary for a CRK Small Inkosi on a flashlight forum. Being impressed, I set out and started to explore other offerings from CRK...took the plunge and picked up a Sebenza 21 and collected some other flavors along the way. I joined the Bladeforum and wanted to learn more about maintenance and especially how to keep these beauties sharp. Of course, I came upon the Spyderco Sharpmaker so I went to Spyderco.com to check it out...Oh yea..Spyderco makes knives...I have one somewhere...let's see...Google search..."Spyderco knife review"...Wow! They make knives alright! Big, small, fixed, folding...and in steels I never heard of! Where have I been!
I started my usual OCD research on these knives and was coming up with more questions than I could find answers for so I found this forum and began reading and slowly began to learn. So now here I sit with a brand new Native 5 LW Spy27, loving it every bit as much as my beloved CRK's. I'll guarantee it's not my last! Thanks for letting me in on these special blades from a special company! That's why I joined.
I hope I’m the man my dog thinks I am.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mysteries involving true goodness attract me like a moth to a flame. Spyderco attracts me, but not just its knives.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I've owned Spyderco Knives since the mid-90's when my wife first bought me one as a gift. I loved that knife and still have it but I don't carry it anymore. Over the years she continued to buy me Spyderco knives and a small collection grew. For some reason, she loved to buy me SE knives and I rarely used them, because I didn't have a clue how to sharpen them. Maybe 5 years ago she got me a SE Pacific Salt for Christmas and I decided I was going to research how to sharpen them and end up here. I honestly had no idea that there was an entire hobby and community of collecting Spyderco Knives up until that point! Once I found this site and bought a Sharpmaker, my knife collection has grown tremendously and my wife still buys me knives as Christmas and Birthday gifts. That's my story of how I ended up here.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eliteone, Johnnyh,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My brother gave me a Dragonfly SE in like 2004. It took me half a decade to figure out why I liked it so much :).

Thanks Sal & Co!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Atv,

She's a keeper for sure. :)

sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

As a boy I’ve been fascinated with swiss army knives ever since I saw the first episode of “MacGyver”. My dad always carried a small pen knife, and gifted me a 58mm Classic when I turned 8. After that I had a few SAKs around, through school and into adulthood. Later I fell in love with the alox Soldier version, and carried a number of them into my thirties.

While I loved the utility of the SAKs, I grew frustrated with their lack of edge retention, and also the awkward pocket carry without a clip. I lost a few during those years, until I learnt to attach a lanyard and clip it to the edge of the pocket.

Eventually I got fed-up with the limitations and frequent sharpenings, and decided to look for something better. I discovered this forum, and was amazed by a whole new world of knife steels, materials, locks, shapes and sizes. My first Spydie after some research was a grey PM2 CTS-20CP sprint (S90V equivalent). The pocket clip addressed the SAK’s award pocket carry, the blade steel was light-years ahead of the garden variety stainless used by Victorinox.

I found the forum to be a friendly place to learn about the hobby, and stuck around for the last 10 years. I feel the general public does not understand this hobby and is quick to judge and condemn “weirdos who carry weapons” instead of recognising the usefulness of a pocket knife as a tool. There are not many people around with who I can share my enthusiasm, apart from this forum of like minded individuals and knife nuts...

My first PM2 is well used, loved and modified (convexed, black scales and black clip). It still serves duty as my general purpose folder in the kitchen drawer and I use it often to break down boxes or cut the odd fruit.

I have not abandoned the SAKs either, they are just too useful... Instead, I have embraced the best of both worlds: alox Pioneer in LFP, and Spyderco in RFP!

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Several reasons:
a/ No interest in every other thread containing confrontations over best this, or best that. Through un-thorough & non-scientific research, this forum was by far the most appealing.

b/ Spyderco's philosophy of function over form. My knives are tools. No different to my hand and power tools.

c/ To share my happiness with other like-minded folks after purchasing an Endela.

d/ Lastly, I'm an oldish school internet user and still enjoy the bbs/forum format. More so once I'm out of the 'You better not be a spam bot/person, or other annoyance we can do without' phase. For the record, I'm not a spam anything, terrible stuff. However I wont rule out the possibility of being annoying ;)

Cheers,
Kendal.
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

My Google homework on knives repeatedly referenced this forum. I’ve gleaned a lot of information from here over the years and I felt it right to finally contribute to it as well. What I thought I knew and liked about the perfect knife, when I started out in the hobby, was turned upside down with each additional Spyderco I added to my collection. There is not only a wealth of information here, but direct interaction from Sal and Spyderco as well. I value that occasional direct communication.
Last edited by NCC-2893 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 6inline, Ironkid, Sailor1010 and NCC,

Welcome to our forum.

sal