Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MFlovejp

Re: Why did you join?

Post by MFlovejp »

I've been in to knives since my first SAK at six or seven years old. About five years ago I got in to the folding knife and EDC hobby and Spyderco has become a revelation for me as my tastes have evolved. It is absolutely incredible how appealing it is to have a maker who interacts to their fans and offers a dizzying array of options so diverse that it make you wonder how it can be profitable. Naturally I had to know more about Spyderco so I came here, to the source.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I joined because my Patrol Sergeant gifted me a Gen 1 Delica many years ago and I was extremely impressed with it. So impressed I started researching Spyderco and the more I learned the more I wanted to know about the Company and it's products. I have learned a great deal here and at times I have shown my @$$, but through it all I still learned to be a better person and think a few minutes longer before I react to a post. Mr. Sal Glesser is a rare individual who sincerely cares about his customers and always is open to suggestions and the desires of them. I spoke with Mr. Glesser on the phone a while back and was blown away with the conversation. Sure he is a businessman extraordinaire, but his desires for the Company go far beyond making a buck. I'm here to say I think most of those desires have been met. He told me the story about the Jumpmaster and how it came to be. I have one arriving today because of that story.

Pardon my verbosity, the bottom line of why I joined is because Spyderco is a great company and greatness attracts greatness as evidenced by the incredible folks on the Forum. The occasional PITA crops up here, but as Mr. Glesser told me regarding life in general, there are all sorts of animals in the forest (paraphrasing ).

I'm done and if you read my entire post, congratulations! If not, I don't blame you at all.

justjohn: 75 Spyderco Knives strong and growing!!! :D
Last edited by justjohn on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

I had a modest collection of fixed blades and swiss army knives most of my life, that served me well, but my circumstances changed and I needed some good one-hand-operated folders. I bought a couple of Steel Will and Ruike flippers on ball bearings..

But, I wanted something better, so I started researching all the manufacturers and the tech they use. At first I dismissed Spyderco, because of the Spydiehole, but in time I realized there are many redeeming qualities and values I appreciate. So, to learn more, I joined this forum. The time spent here facilitated a journey into a good quality, versatile, inspiring and I should say, exciting knife collection, for which I am very grateful.
Last edited by kobold on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I joined because I like to follow the science lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I joined for the love of knives and stayed for the community and my own curiosity. Sure I am curious about the seemingly infinite combinations of steel, handle, and use and how many differing opinions there can be.

The most interesting part for me is the ethics surrounding this site and the ethics of Spyderco. I have not posted for a couple months but felt this thread is important. Spyderco is a rare example of capitalism that appears to have a reasonable code of ethics throughout the entire business model.

When one American company can be this respectful can it be possible for more companies and more people to behave like people do here? Not politics. I just feel a need to support the good example when I see it.

Capitalism needs to be more like Spyderco, spend a little more money, be a little bit better, and in the end everything gets better. American free market capitalism treats water(the basic life necessity) like oil or gold and squeezes every penny in the face of obvious human misery.

Spyderco treats knives like a necessary tool for life and has folders $15.00 - $300 ++. Kitchen knife $20. This treats most people like they can get into the Spyderco hobby and feel like they belong, without having to be rich or excessive or a Greedy American.

When a Spydeco customer has an issue it is not uncommon of the Head of the company to respond. It shows care and value in the experience of the end user. Most importantly, it is the same care for a person with a $15 key chain knife or a $500 knife.

Thanks Team,
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Found my first post from February 2012!
Holland wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm
Hey all,

Got some extra funds available after getting out of a different hobby. Would like to here some opinions on which set of knives to buy.

Set One:
Large Sebenza,
DragonFly ZPD

Set Two:
Small Sebenza,
Gayle Bradley

Set Three:
Sage 2,
Gayle Bradley,
DPX HEST

Set Four:
Small Sebenza,
DPX HEST

Thanks,
Spencer
Apparently I joined to get advice on what knives to buy when I was first getting into the hobby.

I joined a number if message boards, but Spyderco is the only one I remain active on.

Great people on this forums and very informative. It also blew my mind when I first joined, that the company is so active the on the board. Seeing Sal post and participate in threads really solidified my brand loyalty.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Why did I first join? I heard about sprint runs and was told this was the best place to get a heads up about new things coming along. I decided at that time, why buy a regular production knife, when you can have something out of the ordinary?

Why have I hung around? This forum is pretty unique -- people here are polite and helpful. Along with that I became aware of the Spyderco ethos (for lack of anything better to call it) and it appealed to me very strongly. That goes hand in hand with the sort of people you find here.
poolhustler

Post by poolhustler »

Hello Sal!

I carried an Endura for about 10 or so years and went through a few of them. Really enjoyed using and beating up those knives. Stared using and collecting ZT / Kershaw stuff for a while and got bored with that. Being slightly OCD i fought off the urges to collect and use the Endura's again for many many years. I finally couldn't fight any longer and started buying Endura's here and there. Once i got rolling I just couldn't stop. I joined here to learn more about them and gain knowledge. There seems to be a lot of really nice people here who are genuine and love to help. You don't get much of that on other social media outlets.

Best,

Russ..
archangel

Post by archangel »

blues wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:55 am

:D Exactly!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I first joined in 2006 but lurked for years before that. I joined and started daily forum reading in 2006 as a way of insuring I didn't miss out on any new knives. The steel knut stuff had kicked off and I missed out on the first batch of ZDP caly jr's. They were pre ordered up before I could get any.

Prior to that I'd read about Spyderco developments and wait for the dealers I knew and bought from to show up at the local gun shows. That was OK for new models like Enduras but the high demand stuff was long gone before I got my hands on it.

I have not missed many days since then. When I did it was because I was traveling or in the hospital. There are times I have not logged in for a week or two but even then I was there lurking . I like routines to keep me from getting too lazy in my retirement and this place is usually my second stop after logging in daily. :)

Joe
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I don’t have really any friends who are into the hobby, and spyderco makes up the vast majority of my folding collection since they cut the best. So this place is perfect for me. Plus, when most companies won’t even tell you if their knife has liners or not, spyderco will tell you exactly how much steel has been used, where it’s attached, what it’s made out of, on and on and on. All can be found on the forums. So as a huge nerd, I love seeing those stats.

Lurked for about two years and finally made an account last year when I felt like I knew enough to make any useful insights. I really like our little community here, I’m around for the long run.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
James Y

Post by James Y »

I originally joined because I’ve been into knives most of my life, and had gotten into Spydercos starting in 1997. I originally participated a bit, then for the most part, left this forum for 14 years(!). I came back and started participating here again, sometime in 2018, and have been sticking around ever since. I was surprised that my membership here was still active!

The wealth of information here is amazing, and especially with Sal actually interacting with forum members. I personally don’t know of any other owner of a manufacturing company who does that.

Jim
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I fell in love with Spyderco knives after getting a PM2 in 2012 or so. I discovered the forum a few years later and just lurked for a long time and eventually joined due to the way Spyderco handled themselves and the values they felt strongly about.

As the years have gone by, I've developed an increasing love for the science of it and have even started designing knives and other related paraphernalia. I've got a few designs that are almost ready and a working prototype of a piece of gear almost completed.

Maybe there will come a day when knives make me more money than they cost me! :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Back around 2004 I started to take prepping very seriously and started writing a document, "Surviving A Purge." Everything went in to arranging my computer at home for research in to how to best SURVIVE. TO LIVE! The "purge" can come from your fellow man(civil war, on street attack, robbery, homicide, burglary, ...), a govt(war, emp, ...), or nature(hurricane, earthquake, flood, lack of sun, ...) there are literally hundreds of categories to research.

Naturally, tools are needed to survive, and knives are tools so I started to lurk on knife related sites/forums and joined a few. Spyderco makes some of the best tools, and I joined Spyderco forums among others to reach out and become part of the communities.

One thing that I joined the Spyderco forums for was to chat with and read posts by Sal Glesser, Michael Janich and Mr Ankerson.
Last edited by Naperville on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

I like all the different aspects of Spyerco and learned a lot about the different steels.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I thought it was an entomological website and got stuck ...

Lucky, really, as I’ve always liked sharp things *and* high quality tools.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Holland wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:28 am
Found my first post from February 2012!
Holland wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm
Hey all,

Got some extra funds available after getting out of a different hobby. Would like to here some opinions on which set of knives to buy.

Set One:
Large Sebenza,
DragonFly ZPD

Set Two:
Small Sebenza,
Gayle Bradley

Set Three:
Sage 2,
Gayle Bradley,
DPX HEST

Set Four:
Small Sebenza,
DPX HEST

Perhaps late to the party, but: Set Three.... :D :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I joined this forum because I had been introduced to Spyderco knives and found that their design philosophy aligns closely with my own values. I went online to gain knowledge about knives and participated in several forums over the years.

I have moved to spending almost all my knife forum time on this forum because the atmosphere here is superior for my needs and interests. There is greater intelligence, courtesy, and overall sense of friendly fellowship on this forum than is found on most online forums. The calm hands of Sal, Taz, and Mike Janich have a lot to do with it, but it’s also true that our forum participants here are largely self-policing out of respect for Sal and the culture he has established. This is a special place and mostly populated by denizens who appreciate and uphold the values of that culture.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I discovered collecting Spydercos for me last year.
So I found soon the forum to get informations.
People are very friendly here and discussions are on a high level.
And of course, it whould not be the same without you Sal and the others from the Spyderco family!

May this forum always be a place of knowledge, respect and community!

ASF
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Frizank,

Welcome to our forum.

sal