Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Why did you join?

Post by Larry_Mott »

I joined because i had the desire to learn and delve deeper. And in that process hopefully become a source of knowledge myself at some point in time.
Like many others, i am thrilled to have the capo di tutti capi himself chiming in regularily, and adressing me and fellow forumites in a casual down to earth way.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:30 am
I joined because i had the desire to learn and delve deeper. And in that process hopefully become a source of knowledge myself at some point in time.
Like many others, i am thrilled to have the capo di tutti capi himself chiming in regularily, and adressing me and fellow forumites in a casual down to earth way.

:D Absolutely! Another major big PLUS of this forum! Can't believe I missed to mention this myself. Outstanding this is!!

Thank You, Sal!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
brj

Post by brj »

Joined back in 2007, after the epiphany that all my knife needs are potentially covered by the Pacific Salt and Military. At that moment, I'd just purchased my 3rd Military (BG-42, after a regular S30V and the D2 sprint) and with it came the chilly realization that 'this might be IT, my holy grail - and all my future knife purchases will grind to a halt' :) . Well, it was it. Fortunately, the second part of the prediction proved only half accurate, as I still bought & tried out other knives - but always returned to the Millie.

I've joined the forum as it seemed the Millie was well liked and it felt good to discuss with like-minded individuals. It also provided good leads on where I could find older models that I wanted to add to the fold (serrated 440V, the S30V sprint of 2004, etc). Have stayed ever since because the business looked like a model of transparency and integrity - and those felt like good attributes when you decide which company you support with your wallet.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I've always carried a knife since high school. Both my father and mother had farms and although we lived in the city, we were often brought there on weekends. I learned the value of a cutting tool early.

Then someone gave me a CCC of a smith and wesson one hand opener with a pocket clip. It was a revelation for me. I started looking at pocket knives online and laughed at spydercos. Then I started getting intrigued by them. That's when I joined this forum. I was really passionate about things that only knife afis understand.

Then I got back into ham radio and although I was never without a spydie, I just jumped back headfirst into my renewed interest. I still occasionally visited and realized that I'd lost my passion about knives, mostly spydies and looked at them as a tool now. They were more than a tool to me before. They were an obssession. I do admit that I'm more than just a bit OCD.

I recently visited and saw a post with a question that I knew something about. So I'm still here.

Much thanks to Mr. Glesser for providing somewhere that spyderco afis can discuss whatever big or little thing about their passion where extremely knowledgeable people can chime in and especially Mr. G himself.

Shout out to Yab. Are you still holding a grudge after all these years? :D
Last edited by chuck_roxas45 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I wanted to buy a knife.

Read good things online about Benchmade and Spyderco, so I visited each website. Spyderco has a forums, so I read them, eventually created an account to ask a question. Since then it's been a tremendous source of information to learn about knives, see what other people like or want, and just get a chance to talk to other knife guys and gals. The bigger picture is that Spyderco has great customer engagement and the community here is really positive, but at the basic level, I joined simply because it's available. So thanks to the team for the work you do keeping the forums available.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The CF S90V manix 2 brought me here back in 2009.
VashHash wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 pm
My Manix 2 just shipped from florida i ordered it tuesday but i do have the funds on hand for the CPM S90V where do i order i can't find it on the site
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I tend to go deep when I get into a new interest. I have always liked knives, but had the opportunity a while back to pick up a couple better items. I like function over form, and see a point of diminishing returns. Spyderco, while having some nice form, are functional for me, at least the models I like. While expensive, I still get value for my money, in my opinion. There are a few knives I have looked at from other makers, that are gorgeous, and probably function very well, but for the cost of 3 PM2s it is a hard sell for me. I use all of my knives, I don't abuse them, but definitely don't have any safe queens.

1. The lack of political threads is huge for me. My archery forum has about a 20 to 1 ratio of political threads to archery threads (my discipline at least).
2. The depth of knowledge of a number of members and the useful tips for things such as care, sharpening, and of course pimping my knives.
3. The welcoming nature of the forumites and the occassional gem from the Top Spyder himself.
4. The forum offers a place to find out about all the things I didn't know I needed to buy.

Cheers
Erik
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was into Kershaw's quite a bit back in 2015-17, I started to get bored of the spring assist and the same steel that kept getting dull fairly quickly. A friend of mine at work had a bunch of BM's so I wanted to try something different. He mentioned Spyderco being "comparable" to BM in quality and materials. I dove in with the Manix LW DLC/BD1. Then grabbed a Sage 5. I loved the different materials and locks.

I began doing a lot of googling about Spyderco knives and questions I had. Pretty much every answer would direct me here. I saw all the helpful information, so much stuff that made no sense to me and I was intrigued and wanted to learn. I lurked for about a week, saw how great everyone seemed to get along with each other and decided I wanted in on this.

Now I'm here EVERY day. I love this place and many of the friendships I've formed here. I look forward to checking in every morning and throughout the day. I also find it awesome that the owner of the company is part of the forum, welcomes all new members and contributes in daily discussions. Can't say I've ever seen that before!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Having just joined, I will say I am hear because I like knives, always have carried one, but I really have no idea anything about them: proper care,
Chemistry and make up, pros and cons of different models and steels, etc. I like the interactive nature of forums, and to have the actually people doing design work and manufacturing involved seems like added value to an already great product.

So, here to learn.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:23 am
I tend to go deep when I get into a new interest. I have always liked knives, but had the opportunity a while back to pick up a couple better items. I like function over form, and see a point of diminishing returns. Spyderco, while having some nice form, are functional for me, at least the models I like. While expensive, I still get value for my money, in my opinion. There are a few knives I have looked at from other makers, that are gorgeous, and probably function very well, but for the cost of 3 PM2s it is a hard sell for me. I use all of my knives, I don't abuse them, but definitely don't have any safe queens.

1. The lack of political threads is huge for me. My archery forum has about a 20 to 1 ratio of political threads to archery threads (my discipline at least).
2. The depth of knowledge of a number of members and the useful tips for things such as care, sharpening, and of course pimping my knives.
3. The welcoming nature of the forumites and the occassional gem from the Top Spyder himself.
4. The forum offers a place to find out about all the things I didn't know I needed to buy.

Cheers
Erik

Absolutely! Since I joined the forum, the percentage that Spydies represent of my total collection has practically doubled. Apart from its many other virtues, I think that this forum works as a formidable marketing tool for Spyderco.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I've been a member for twelve years now. I'm looking at the forum pretty much every day, yet my post count is relatively low.

I joined because Spyderco is a company that mirrors many of my life values. CQI, Constant Quality Improvement, that is something I try to do in my life, with a focus on family and friends. Like my post count, the money I spend on Spyderco products is very meager compared to many.

I've always liked knives. Growing up a boy Scout, I have always carried a knife. I've met Sal at Blade show in the past. Sal responds directly to people on the forum. At Blade show he showed me prototypes and asked my opinions. Talk about feeling like a valued customer. It's more than just a great Spyderco knife in my pocket, it is a product made by a company I respect, I am happy to support them and their products.

As a note, I used to EDC carry a Chris Reeve knife. I met him at Blade show one time too. In contrast to Sal, Chris Reeve did not invite input, and seemed to be annoyed at having to interact with his customers. I no longer own any Chris Reeve products. They are great knives to be sure, but Spyderco's are easier to open, and I like Sal.

The older I get the less new knives I buy, that said I am eagerly looking forward to getting a few I missed out on the first time around like the titanium UKPK.

Grizz
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I started lurking when I wanted to learn more about knives without having to buy them all. I joined when I wanted to become part of this awesome community.
I hope to better by understanding of knife design and steel choice. If I can help people in the future with the knowledge gained then all the better.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I joined because I wanted to learn about knives and share experiences. That was over 5 years ago. I stay because of your kindness and generosity.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jdw

Post by jdw »

I lurked for a while and joined because of the embracing community. I quickly learned that the board is full of people who know more about every aspect of knives than I do but are always willing to share their knowledge without insult or ridicule. It's a unique quality on forums and I have learned a lot from being here.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

Because i was in search of information as a result of my growing interests in knives. The Spydiewiki and this forum is just so abundant in knowledge and general discussion. I lurked for a while and joined back in August last year. My love for Spyderco history persists and I still love reading about classic models long discontinued.
-Noah
benben

Post by benben »

I joined in 2011, honestly I found this place by accident. I had just recently lost my beloved Wegner Jr. that I had had for 13 or 14 years and was on the search for another!

I owned two Spyderco's at that time, that Wegner Jr. and a serrated Cricket. I just thought I'd hop over to Spyderco.com and order me another Wegner.....NO, that ain't happening! Had no idea about knives being discontinued, collaborations, sprints, nothing. But I soon got a quick education and probably 30 knives later, here I am! It's a great forum Sal, thank you!
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

I have my first folder besides SAKs in the 90s as a teenager and it was the spyderco C04 executive /(clipette) as identified by SAL when I posted it here.

I was not a serious collector of knives, let alone spydercos, until something rekindled it in 2018?

And I'm hooked now and have lots of lots of spydies.

I'm very happy that Sal takes time to go through these forums and answer our questions and quenches out thirst for knowledge of spydies.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Frizank9009 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 am
I'm a newb and a lurker, likely to remain a lurker, but I signed up and visit the forum to try and keep up with what knives are available in which metal and which scales in which color. It's all kind of overwhelming for a newb. I see a video or a pic online of a cool looking knife with scales in my favorite color...and it's nowhere to be found. Maybe it's old and rare, maybe it's still active and waiting for more production, maybe it's an upcoming a release and who knows when it's coming out???

Some examples: I've seen a paramilitary 2 with dlc blade and smurf blue scales, I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I guess it doesn't exist anymore? The new catalog shows paramilitary 2 with s45 steel, I'm interested, where and when? I might be interested in a paramilitary 2 with the tanto styled blade in dlc with black scales, but I guess only bladehq sells it and they have white scales now? I've preordered a police 4 with k390 steel and I have no idea when it might release.

There is also good information here. Plusses and minuses of various steels. How to care for various steels. Reading about a knife I have and seeing if other people have the same issues or enjoyment that I have. As others have said, it's also cool that the owner is active and posts.
That's a Bento Box Shop exclusive. It's currently out of stock, so I'm guessing they're waiting on their next batch. BBS has a polarizing business model, so caveat emptor. Unfortunately, BBS has the smurf blue G10 scales as an exclusive on most models.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I joined to ask a question about my first Spyderco I had just bought. I stayed because I was hooked and wanted to learn more about different models and steels, and this forum seemed to be the right place for that. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
blues

Post by blues »

- Retired from the chase -