Helping Hand

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Helping Hand

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I have a brother that had his arm amputated below the elbow when he was 18yrs old. He happens to love electronics and use many types of helping hands now. The main use for him is soldering electronics. I've been interested in the history of the Spyderco helping hand. I know Sal said he wanted to go through the process of designing something and taking it to market. Is that the whole story? I'm curious why he chose such a product to start with.
sal

Re: Helping Hand

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

When Gail and I began Spyderco in January of 1976, We were homeless and living in a 1955 International Step Van that converted into a mini-motor-home. We began the company as partners with our 2 year old daughter. We didn't have much money. Our first "project" was to see if we could; invent, patent, deign, build market and sell a product.

After much discussion, we decided on the "Portable Hand" as a tool that would be functional for holding parts, and a portable version had not yet been done. We built the prototype with joints made from aluminum that we cut our of an old freeway sign ( an adventure in itself, but that's another story ). We used alligator clips silver soldered to threaded rod. We silver soldered ball bearings onto the parts for the pivots and used a large clip for the "Portability" so it could be clamped onto something else, like inside of a TV, rather than sitting on a table.

We patented the idea with an attorney in L.A. We tooled up to make the joints out of steel stamped in southern Cal, made up thousands and hauled them in a VW Bug that we towed behind the "Motor-Home" along with our fixtures, welding tanks, ball bearings, threaded rod, clips, etc. We built them in campgrounds and hotel rooms across the US and sold them in fairs and shows.

We took the photos for our brochure and printed the instruction brochure in Indianapolis before a show. We drew up an ad and advertised them in Popular Mechanics. We made them for a number of years, but when the Sharpmaker ( which we also made on the road ) began to sell better and took more of our time, we discontinued the Portable hand.

Hope that helps?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks, Sal, that was interesting. I remember you telling that story in more detail in the last couple of years. What a great idea.

Josh, does your brother have one of the new generation of prosthetic arms? Some of these are quite amazing, working like regular arms and hands. The robotics have gotten very sophisticated.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:51 pm
Hi Josh,

When Gail and I began Spyderco in January of 1976, We were homeless and living in a 1955 International Step Van that converted into a mini-motor-home. We began the company as partners with our 2 year old daughter. We didn't have much money. Our first "project" was to see if we could; invent, patent, deign, build market and sell a product.

After much discussion, we decided on the "Portable Hand" as a tool that would be functional for holding parts, and a portable version had not yet been done. We built the prototype with joints made from aluminum that we cut our of an old freeway sign ( an adventure in itself, but that's another story ). We used alligator clips silver soldered to threaded rod. We silver soldered ball bearings onto the parts for the pivots and used a large clip for the "Portability" so it could be clamped onto something else, like inside of a TV, rather than sitting on a table.

We patented the idea with an attorney in L.A. We tooled up to make the joints out of steel stamped in southern Cal, made up thousands and hauled them in a VW Bug that we towed behind the "Motor-Home" along with our fixtures, welding tanks, ball bearings, threaded rod, clips, etc. We built them in campgrounds and hotel rooms across the US and sold them in fairs and shows.

We took the photos for our brochure and printed the instruction brochure in Indianapolis before a show. We drew up an ad and advertised them in Popular Mechanics. We made them for a number of years, but when the Sharpmaker ( which we also made on the road ) began to sell better and took more of our time, we discontinued the Portable hand.

Hope that helps?

sal
''When Gail and I started Spyderco in Jan 76, we were homeless and living in a 1955 international step van''

Best bit right there.

What you've both achieved is incredible Sal, must be very proud.
Very inspiring story.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:

Hope that helps?

sal
Thank you for telling the story in more detail. That's an amazing turn of events to go from homeless to owning the best knife company out there imho. My family was also homeless at one point but we where fortunate enough to make it through the hard times. I was initially curious if a disabled friend or family member might have spurred the invention.
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:55 pm
Thanks, Sal, that was interesting. I remember you telling that story in more detail in the last couple of years. What a great idea.

Josh, does your brother have one of the new generation of prosthetic arms? Some of these are quite amazing, working like regular arms and hands. The robotics have gotten very sophisticated.
No he does not have a new generation prosthetic. When he first lost his arm we were living in West Virginia. There wasn't any modern prosthetic makers in the area so all he had for a while was just a cosmetic arm/hand.. That's changed now that we moved to southeast Michigan. The place he goes now is called Hanger, its the oldest prosthetic maker in the US. They made him one out of carbon fiber but it still uses the old "claw" with rubber bands for tension. I believe they are working on something new for him but haven't talked to him about it.

This is the one he has now.
20210127_112833(1).jpg
poolhustler

Post by poolhustler »

Hope its ok to post links.... Here are a couple cool YT videos i have watched recently. They talk a bit about the "Helping Hand" device. Please delete is link are not allowed.

https://youtu.be/JlsoX_Hkd1c

https://youtu.be/_Du7AFPKIuw&t=504s
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:25 am
sal wrote:

Hope that helps?

sal
Thank you for telling the story in more detail. That's an amazing turn of events to go from homeless to owning the best knife company out there imho. My family was also homeless at one point but we where fortunate enough to make it through the hard times. I was initially curious if a disabled friend or family member might have spurred the invention.
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:55 pm

No he does not have a new generation prosthetic. When he first lost his arm we were living in West Virginia. There wasn't any modern prosthetic makers in the area so all he had for a while was just a cosmetic arm/hand.. That's changed now that we moved to southeast Michigan. The place he goes now is called Hanger, its the oldest prosthetic maker in the US. They made him one out of carbon fiber but it still uses the old "claw" with rubber bands for tension. I believe they are working on something new for him but haven't talked to him about it.

This is the one he has now.20210127_112833(1).jpg
https://bionicsforeveryone.com/bionic-arms-hands/
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050