The Shark Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: The Shark Hunter

Post by ladybug93 »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:27 pm
CTomz wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am
Folks, I think it´s about time to move away from that name-thing and name-calling :)

Again, let´s discuss the knife itself, if it ever becomes a real thing we can still argue about the name ;)

/ IF I´d get that thing (so a large, long, but NOT heavy and not meant for chopping knife) I´d really want it to have PE on one side, and, yes, a SAW on the other side, at least over a good amount of the spine...
I think PE one side and SE on the opposite would be great. It would make for a very versatile tropical camp tool.

An enlarged version of the double sided LC200N Tanto idea I had would be cool.

you may have designed the deadliest tanto ever. that's a sweet design. i'm not sure about the large loop, but i really like the rest.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm down for a large Spyderco Fishing Spear. Put some holes in the handle and call it the Spyderco Spear Fisher.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Kingfisher!

Sailfish Hunter!

The Swordfish!

Oceana!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Lots of good ideas for the name- I like the Spyderco Spear Fisher
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m utterly disappointed by what I just read here. That’s actually an understatement.

Never would have thought that expressing agreement with someone’s opinion, in what I thought was a perfectly respectful way (I even acknowledged the name was probably just some harmless “joke”), would be considered “piling on” (how would I know it was CTomz’s first post?), get laughed at, and then mocked even more.
Probably the poorest expression of this forum’s intent I’ve seen.

Maybe I’m too serious, but in a forum where that happens, it’s not exactly a place you want to talk in.

Good luck with your idea CTomz, I guess.

The name is not a big deal. I’m just sorry that it could spiral into what it did in this usually very kind forum. Though, something similar happened in another thread recently.

Edit: it was not clear to me that Ladybug’s comment was a “nice” joke or somehow intended to help us realize it was CTomz’s first post.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm sorry. i was just having a little fun and trying to lighten up the thread. my comments weren't directed solely at you, even though i responded to you because you called me out. my comments were directed at the fact that multiple people were taking the name and themselves too seriously. apparently, that's not going to stop, so i'll just back off this thread and let you all continue to be upset over the potential name of a knife that only exists in someone's head.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:33 pm
i'm sorry. i was just having a little fun and trying to lighten up the thread. my comments weren't directed solely at you, even though i responded to you because you called me out. my comments were directed at the fact that multiple people were taking the name and themselves too seriously. apparently, that's not going to stop, so i'll just back off this thread and let you all continue to be upset over the potential name of a knife that only exists in someone's head.
It wouldn’t be a problem if you and others could say that without the mockery.
You’re first comment, I admit was misunderstood by myself as an insult, but i think what you’ve said since is plainly clear.
These “jokes” are just in such poor taste.

Again, the name is the least of my concern in this thread. And again, good luck to CTomz with the idea. I’ll keep an eye on the thread because I might actually have a use for the knife like I mentioned earlier, but I’m leaving for now to cool off and spare everyone the grief.

Edit: You know what, looking at another thread, I can see that Ladybug has had a rough day on the forum. Apologies if I made it any worse.
I don’t need to continue on any more either, so let’s just take the time to chill for a while.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Can we all just shut up and laugh? Seriously... Everyone gets so touchy over the slightest joke these days

Remember folks, the only thing sticks belong up in, is a tree! :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Actually the Fish Hunter was made at the request of Free-divers with a need.

sal
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Being a life long spearo this topic is interesting, nice one OP, some good ideas..

My 2c is a spearfishing knife is very different to a diving knife.
A diving knife generally needs to be strong and be able to lever and cut, the point can be a whole host of shapes depending on intended use.
A spearo knife needs to be able to spike/dispatch a fish if needed, thus needing a good strong point with good piercing quality, bleed the fish, and it might be used for cutting your float line in an emergency.
Usually the fish being spiked are pelagics.
You don't want your knife too long or heavy for this, 3.5-5'' blade would be fine. You also are trying to cut down on your drag through the water, you don't want to be carrying to big of a knife on your leg or float.
Something light and sharp, no extra blade than needed but a blade strong enough to spike a big fish when needed.
If we are talking spearfishing knives, Lc200n would be a good choice, nothing too bright on the handle.
Id go a double sided dagger style blade (not too wide), both hollow ground, lightly serrated on one side, edge on the other.
Center of blade would have to be a decent thickness of at least 3.5mm, so nice and strong.
My name choices off the top of my head, (shark hunters pretty good OP)

The Pelagic
The Cobia
The Amber Jack
The Kingfish
The Spear hunter
The Spearo (has an Aussie slant lol)

Also a Spyderco Abalone knife would be very cool, hint hint :)

cheers
Last edited by Salty Dog on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I like the name Dolphin Hunter. Shark Hunter as a name is a bit pool ninja.

On a serious note, it is fascinating to read the contributions of real life scuba fishermen. It shows how much deliberation is needed in good knife design, as well as the pit-falls in coming up with a good name for a global market.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not think I would be interested in a knife, but a spear might be something else entirely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Things were said, jimmies were rustled, I apologize for my part in the shenanigans. Let's get back to the knife.

I suppose I should've considered it to be more of a spearfishing knife from the start. I think holes in the handle would be perfect for lashing to a shaft. As you said, a beefier tip is definitely a good idea- the size would be slightly unwieldy for certain tasks, but for others I think it would shine. Definitely a unique, niche knife. I like the Spearo name considering a large portion of the market would likely be Aussieland :D
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:45 am
Being a life long spearo this topic is interesting, nice one OP, some good ideas..

My 2c is a spearfishing knife is very different to a diving knife.
A diving knife generally needs to be strong and be able to lever and cut, the point can be a whole host of shapes depending on intended use.
A spearo knife needs to be able to spike/dispatch a fish if needed, thus needing a good strong point with good piercing quality, bleed the fish, and it might be used for cutting your float line in an emergency.
Usually the fish being spiked are pelagics.
You don't want your knife too long or heavy for this, 3.5-5'' blade would be fine. You also are trying to cut down on your drag through the water, you don't want to be carrying to big of a knife on your leg or float.
Something light and sharp, no extra blade than needed but a blade strong enough to spike a big fish when needed.
If we are talking spearfishing knives, Lc200n would be a good choice, nothing too bright on the handle.
Id go a double sided dagger style blade (not too wide), both hollow ground, lightly serrated on one side, edge on the other.
Center of blade would have to be a decent thickness of at least 3.5mm, so nice and strong.
My name choices off the top of my head, (shark hunters pretty good OP)

The Pelagic
The Cobia
The Amber Jack
The Kingfish
The Spear hunter
The Spearo (has an Aussie slant lol)

Also a Spyderco Abalone knife would be very cool, hint hint :)

cheers

It seems you might have described my design entirely, except for the finger loop. Tanto’s have incredible tip strength for piercing and the double sides PE/SE lend to even more usefulness. I did the loop for drawing from a deep sheath and retainment in certain situations, but, many on here disagree with that and that is understandable.

If Spyderco could alter the handle to be able to fasten or screw onto a shaft I think it would be a winner. It could screw on like all of the broom and mop handles we’ve all seen, but with maybe a lanyard with a pin for retainment.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”