The Shark Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CTomz

Re: The Shark Hunter

Post by CTomz »

And to be clear- I previously mentioned how I feel about sharks. But the continuation of the whining is unnecessary. Move past the name.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Next we need to do a club version of the Hatchet Hawk and call it the “Baby Seal Hawk”!

I thought the name Shark Hunter is great, in that it simply signifies a larger Fish Hunter. Isn’t a Self Defense knife simply a land version of a so called Shark Hunter. Some carry one just in case there is a rogue human that wants to harm you. I also would think if one is actually hunting sharks you would use something else and not just jump in the water with a knife.

Depending on how something like this turn out I would probably use it more like a Bear Hunter, as I don’t dive at all but often come close to bears.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

CTomz wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
"Didn't realize I joined the bleeding hearts forum. Shark Hunter is a fine name, and you're immature or naive if you think it would cause any harm."
"Take your piss poor attitudes elsewhere"

Some people brighten a room by entering it, some by leaving it.
You aren't new here, I'm sure you know where the door is. Don't let it hit you on the way out 🤣
Classy.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:23 am
Next we need to do a club version of the Hatchet Hawk and call it the “Baby Seal Hawk”!

I thought the name Shark Hunter is great, in that it simply signifies a larger Fish Hunter. Isn’t a Self Defense knife simply a land version of a so called Shark Hunter. Some carry one just in case there is a rogue human that wants to harm you.

Depending on how something like this turn out I would probably use it more like a Bear Hunter, as I don’t dive at all but often come close to bears.
Sign me up for the Baby Seal Hawk! Oh wait, then seals will go extinct... didn't consider that...

And yep I agree, solid defense knife for a variety of scenarios. It wouldn't really be used as a traditional dive knife, anyway- it's for if a shark has you on the lunch menu.
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 am
CTomz wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
"Didn't realize I joined the bleeding hearts forum. Shark Hunter is a fine name, and you're immature or naive if you think it would cause any harm."
"Take your piss poor attitudes elsewhere"

Some people brighten a room by entering it, some by leaving it.
You aren't new here, I'm sure you know where the door is. Don't let it hit you on the way out 🤣
Classy.
I got a little short with those responses. My apologies. It just gets annoying reading the same thing over and over about the name when I am in agreeance with the underlying issue- but calling a knife a Shark Hunter is harmless.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Folks, I think it´s about time to move away from that name-thing and name-calling :)

Again, let´s discuss the knife itself, if it ever becomes a real thing we can still argue about the name ;)

/ IF I´d get that thing (so a large, long, but NOT heavy and not meant for chopping knife) I´d really want it to have PE on one side, and, yes, a SAW on the other side, at least over a good amount of the spine...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am
Folks, I think it´s about time to move away from that name-thing and name-calling :)

Again, let´s discuss the knife itself, if it ever becomes a real thing we can still argue about the name ;)

/ IF I´d get that thing (so a large, long, but NOT heavy and not meant for chopping knife) I´d really want it to have PE on one side, and, yes, a SAW on the other side, at least over a good amount of the spine...
I think PE one side and SE on the opposite would be great. It would make for a very versatile tropical camp tool.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

CTomz wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 am
Wartstein wrote:

I think PE one side and SE on the opposite would be great. It would make for a very versatile tropical camp tool.

Let´s take that even further: Combo-edge on one side and a saw on the other... :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

I like it! Only need 4ish inches of PE so that would be fantastic.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am
CTomz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Let´s take that even further: Combo-edge on one side and a saw on the other... :D
i wonder if you could cut a saw into h1 and if it would harden enough in the process to actually be beneficial. personally, i have no idea, but since we're talking about a steel that doesn't take a normal heat treat, that's a consideration that would have to be made. my guess is that it couldn't be done, but i honestly don't know.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:23 am

I thought the name Shark Hunter is great, in that it simply signifies a larger Fish Hunter. Isn’t a Self Defense knife simply a land version of a so called Shark Hunter. Some carry one just in case there is a rogue human that wants to harm you. I also would think if one is actually hunting sharks you would use something else and not just jump in the water with a knife.

maybe it could be the shark hunter in the same way that steve irwin (rip) was the crocodile hunter?

btw, i've affectionately renamed my caribbean the bee hunter (at least until i decide to dye the scales) to test the environmental impact a knife name might have. it's not a perfect test because it's just a single knife and i'm not as well known as spyderco, but i can at least study whether or not my bee hunter will inspire me to kill bees. it may be anecdotal, but it's better than nothing. i will report back.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am
CTomz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

i wonder if you could cut a saw into h1 and if it would harden enough in the process to actually be beneficial. personally, i have no idea, but since we're talking about a steel that doesn't take a normal heat treat, that's a consideration that would have to be made. my guess is that it couldn't be done, but i honestly don't know.

Interesting point, did not think about this at all!!

But generally, if the knife is not a real chopper anyway, such a long blade would lend itself to having a saw at the spine, in that length actually pretty useful. Maybe not on a diving knife, but on my use anyway.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Fish Hunter XL.
Spear Hunter.
Giant Pointy Pokey Stabby Stick.

Names are easy to come up with.

Im down if Spyderco wants to make a salt series hand spear. I would get one, especially if the price was still close to the fish hunter.

Seems like it would be a salt version of the sustain, but with some obvious differences.

I also agree that holes in the handle to lash it to something would be great, but that seems like it would require a new mold, at which point youre making a new knife, and expense goes up. However, this might need to happen anyway. The aqua salt handle is great for its current size, weight, and leverage. If the blade were twice as long, then I feel it would need a bigger more hand filling handle.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Selachii have enough troubles with sustainable populations as it is, naming a knife “shark hunter” is controversial and elicits negative connotations.

For the record I have extensive experience in necropsy of marine mammals and fishes, including sharks. Such a pocket sword that OP is asking for would have viable use in that field, but the proposed name is a major turn off...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

CTomz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

An enlarged version of the double sided LC200N Tanto idea I had would be cool.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The OP's knife idea reminds me of this:
ra-m16dive.jpg
Randall Model 16 Diver.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Randall-Mod ... RA-M16DIVE

I think it would be cool for Spyderco to do a version of this.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:27 pm
CTomz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

An enlarged version of the double sided LC200N Tanto idea I had would be cool.

That's a great drawing/design! I like the spear point for this specific idea but that tanto has potential!
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 pm
Fish Hunter XL.
Spear Hunter.
Giant Pointy Pokey Stabby Stick.

Names are easy to come up with.

Im down if Spyderco wants to make a salt series hand spear. I would get one, especially if the price was still close to the fish hunter.

Seems like it would be a salt version of the sustain, but with some obvious differences.

I also agree that holes in the handle to lash it to something would be great, but that seems like it would require a new mold, at which point youre making a new knife, and expense goes up. However, this might need to happen anyway. The aqua salt handle is great for its current size, weight, and leverage. If the blade were twice as long, then I feel it would need a bigger more hand filling handle.
That's a good way to describe it- a saltwater version of the sustain with different handle and some serrations/sawteeth
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:28 pm
The OP's knife idea reminds me of this:

ra-m16dive.jpg

Randall Model 16 Diver.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Randall-Mod ... RA-M16DIVE

I think it would be cool for Spyderco to do a version of this.
That sure is a beauty!
kobold

Post by kobold »

There is always a bigger fish in the sea.

I think it should be called Kraken, so the headlines will say "Spyderco Released the Kraken" :-)))
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10