MAPLE CHAP SHIPPING TO DEALERS WOO HOO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Henry_P

Re: MAPLE CHAP SHIPPING TO DEALERS WOO HOO

Post by Henry_P »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Looks Great!!!

I'm a little disappointed though. I thought it was supposed to be Maple flavored

Nice pattern! I enjoy the uniqueness of each knife.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:

Looks Great!!!

I'm a little disappointed though. I thought it was supposed to be Maple flavored

Thanks for sharing!! :)

Man, this could be the most amazing Spydie model ever, combining the extreme cutting ability of the Chap with such great scales...

/ Perhaps you tasted the blade instead of the handle, and so just experienced the XHP-flavor?! :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:25 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

Looks Great!!!

Nice pattern! I enjoy the uniqueness of each knife.
Thanks! I agree
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:32 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

Looks Great!!!

/ Perhaps you tasted the blade instead of the handle, and so just experienced the XHP-flavor?! :p
Haha! Nope! I know the difference. XHP has a much more metallic taste to it
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

I have one in the mail, but USPS is not sure where it is located. Fingers crossed it shows up soon.
Holland

Post by Holland »

JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 am
I really like these scales, absolutely on point...

I think it looks great with the other members of the family...

I think it's going to join the Raffir as my only other 'Sunday' EDC
Thanks for the photos!

Is the top one an frn chap with custom scales?

Or did spyderco recently change the chap 1 to be consistent with the rest? Just checked the 2021 catalog and the chap1 doesnt have the screws exposed in the middle. Only the pivot and clip
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Holland wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 pm

Or did spyderco recently change the chap 1 to be consistent with the rest? Just checked the 2021 catalog and the chap1 doesnt have the screws exposed in the middle. Only the pivot and clip
This has been discussed before. The CF Chap was changed to have exposed screws a couple years ago. I assume they just haven't updated the stock photos.

This is one of the reasons I'll probably never sell my CF Chap without the extra exposed screws

EDIT:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82704

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85394
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:11 pm
Holland wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 pm

This has been discussed before. The CF Chap was changed to have exposed screws a couple years ago. I assume they just haven't updated the stock photos.

This is one of the reasons I'll probably never sell my CF Chap without the extra exposed screws

EDIT:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82704

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85394
Interesting, thanks for the links.

Does anyone know if the liners got updated to match the FRN version as well?

Noticed the liners on the FRN and Sun and Moon models were "partial" type liners around the pivot, where as my chaparral "houses" the internal stop pin in a track

Hope that made sense... :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This knife sure is a looker! I may have to grab one eventually, I miss having a Chaparral. Need to chill out on my purchases a bit with that CRK bug biting me hard recently. All of yours posted here look great though, and seem to be pretty similar compared to all the variations in something like Pakkawood. These scales look to be very smooth though, are they pretty slick?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:30 pm
These scales look to be very smooth though, are they pretty slick?
I don't have mine on me at the moment (I have the Chap LW today) but IIRC the Maple scales are smooth but not what I'd call slick. I don't know if it's a poly finish or what it is but it's not really slippery
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Got mine last night. It's my favorite Chap thus far. It came slightly off center with a small amount of side to side play that remained despite tightening the pivot.
So I took it apart. The internals make me appreciate the quality even more. The posts on the clip side are all D shaped. Tolerances are tight. I added some lube and reassembled. Perfectly centered and no play.
IMG_6736.jpg
IMG_6735.jpg
timlara

Post by timlara »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:28 am
Got mine last night. It's my favorite Chap thus far. It came slightly off center with a small amount of side to side play that remained despite tightening the pivot.
So I took it apart. The internals make me appreciate the quality even more. The posts on the clip side are all D shaped. Tolerances are tight. I added some lube and reassembled. Perfectly centered and no play.
IMG_6736.jpgIMG_6735.jpg
Wow, I really like the patterns on yours!

My scales are a little more plain, but still very nice. I'm wondering if mine has some assembly issues as well - the centering looks good and there is no play, but it feels like the blade rubs on one of the liners when opening with a little bit of a gritty feel. Definitely not super smooth like my Ti model.
Tim
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

timlara wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:46 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:28 am
IMG_6736.jpgIMG_6735.jpg
Wow, I really like the patterns on yours!

My scales are a little more plain, but still very nice. I'm wondering if mine has some assembly issues as well - the centering looks good and there is no play, but it feels like the blade rubs on one of the liners when opening with a little bit of a gritty feel. Definitely not super smooth like my Ti model.
Mine is the same - too plain for my tastes, grittiness in the pivot, and rubbing on the liner while opening. I have owned a handful of Chaparrals since their inception, and this particular example is reminiscent of some of the issues the initial run of CF/S30V Chaps saw when they were released. I had more patience to fiddle with knives back then, but unfortunately, that is no longer the case, so this little lady will be heading back to the dealer. I'll hang back for a while and try picking one up again in the future once some time has passed for the kinks to have been ironed out.
timlara

Post by timlara »

d.2.the.p wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 am
Mine is the same - too plain for my tastes, grittiness in the pivot, and rubbing on the liner while opening. I have owned a handful of Chaparrals since their inception, and this particular example is reminiscent of some of the issues the initial run of CF/S30V Chaps saw when they were released. I had more patience to fiddle with knives back then, but unfortunately, that is no longer the case, so this little lady will be heading back to the dealer. I'll hang back for a while and try picking one up again in the future once some time has passed for the kinks to have been ironed out.
Bummer. I'm either really unlucky or this issue must be fairly common because I actually *did* return my first one to the dealer and the 2nd one I got has the exact same gritty pivot/rubbing issue. I'd feel bad returning it twice, so I'll probably just deal with it and try to fix it myself at some point.
Tim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

timlara wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 pm
d.2.the.p wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 am
Bummer. I'm either really unlucky or this issue must be fairly common because I actually *did* return my first one to the dealer and the 2nd one I got has the exact same gritty pivot/rubbing issue. I'd feel bad returning it twice, so I'll probably just deal with it and try to fix it myself at some point.

No doubt that is not like it should be, but the Chap is pretty easy to disassemble - so perhaps all one has to do is really "just" clean the pivot area/ washers and oil it up again? Perhaps the wood of the scales is more likely to still have some tiny "dust" or "grit" (don´t know the correct English term) left from production than other materials would?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
timlara

Post by timlara »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 am

No doubt that is not like it should be, but the Chap is pretty easy to disassemble - so perhaps all one has to do is really "just" clean the pivot area/ washers and oil it up again? Perhaps the wood of the scales is more likely to still have some tiny "dust" or "grit" (don´t know the correct English term) left from production than other materials would?!
Yeah, that's kind of my theory as well, maybe some sawdust or something managed to get inside the knife during assembly. It's been a while since I fiddled with taking apart any knives (no need to), so I guess this will be an excuse to buy some fresh torx bits. :)
Tim
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

It arrived yesterday:
IMG_20210226_084736_copy_1024x768.jpg
IMG_20210226_084727_copy_1024x768.jpg
It's very beautiful, quality is perfekt.
Please Sal do more "woodies" :D

ASF
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:58 am
It arrived yesterday:

IMG_20210226_084736_copy_1024x768.jpg

IMG_20210226_084727_copy_1024x768.jpg

It's very beautiful, quality is perfekt.
Please Sal do more "woodies" :D

ASF

Nice, Markus!!! :)

Do you think there should come another one here to our Austria? (= too ME..?!? ;) )
timlara

Post by timlara »

timlara wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 am

Yeah, that's kind of my theory as well, maybe some sawdust or something managed to get inside the knife during assembly. It's been a while since I fiddled with taking apart any knives (no need to), so I guess this will be an excuse to buy some fresh torx bits. :)

Update on this - I got some fresh torx bits and finally got around to disassembling my Maple Chap and it turns out the problem with mine was that one of the washers was a tiny bit boogered up on one edge, like it got pinched or something during assembly. The washers are very tiny and thin, so I can see how they are easy to damage. That makes sense as to why the "scratchy" feeling only happened in one spot when the blade was about 1/4 of the way open - it must have been when that edge of the washer was rubbing. Anyway, I put the washer between two coasters and carefully squished it perfectly flat again, then put a few drops of fresh oil in and put everything back together and now the action is smooth as glass like my other Chappies!

I should have taken pictures of it, but didn't think of it until I was done and everything was feeling smooth again.
Tim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Next they should think about something exotic like Alaskan Diamond Willow.

or purple heart wood:
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050