Lanyard tube rattle --a common thing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Lanyard tube rattle --a common thing?

Post by mikey177 »

I bought a new Gayle Bradley Advocate a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the knife would make a rattling noise when shaken. I had a similar experience with my CQI Spydiechef, and discovered that the lanyard tube was the culprit.

I finally got around to removing the lanyard tube on the Advocate, as I did with the Spydiechef some months ago.

I don't use lanyards, so both folders look cleaner to me without the tube.

I was just wondering if this was a common thing with Ti framelocks that have lanyard tubes or pins, as I have a CRK Umnumzaan that also rattled when I removed the lanyard that was tied to it.
Attachments
advocate lanyard tube delete.jpg
Sharp Guy

Re: Lanyard tube rattle --a common thing?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've never had the issue with any of my knives (including Advocate). However, I've seen where others have had the issue.

Looks like it's a pretty simple fix

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84769&p=1357616&hil ... e#p1357616
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Super glue is the simple fix! I had to do it with my lanyard tube on my Manix when I swapped it to the grooved micarta scales. The little rattle of the tube drove me nuts.

Funny you mention your CRK, I just cut my lanyard off the tube on my 31 and now I have to do the same with mine. Makes it sound cheap haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I just pop the front scale off and put a very small dab of grease on the end of the tube, works perfectly.
normal

Post by normal »

I took the tube out of my Chef because it rattled. It has screws on both sides so structural integrity is not an issue. I kind of wish the PM2 was like that too. I don't use lanyards and I agree it looks cleaner to me too.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 am
I've never had the issue with any of my knives (including Advocate). However, I've seen where others have had the issue.

Looks like it's a pretty simple fix

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84769&p=1357616&hil ... e#p1357616

Thanks for the link. Oddly, I am more comfortable taking my knife apart than using superglue, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

TkoK83Spy wrote: Super glue is the simple fix! I had to do it with my lanyard tube on my Manix when I swapped it to the grooved micarta scales. The little rattle of the tube drove me nuts.

Funny you mention your CRK, I just cut my lanyard off the tube on my 31 and now I have to do the same with mine. Makes it sound cheap haha!

I've seen some YT reviews about the Sebenza lanyard rattle, but I was surprised that it also affected the Zaan. At least they are consistent haha

Lumpy wrote: I just pop the front scale off and put a very small dab of grease on the end of the tube, works perfectly.

Does the grease dry out after a while, or is it a one time application?

normal wrote: I took the tube out of my Chef because it rattled. It has screws on both sides so structural integrity is not an issue. I kind of wish the PM2 was like that too. I don't use lanyards and I agree it looks cleaner to me too.

Agreed. I just keep the lanyard tube in a small ziplock bag so it doesn't get misplaced.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

So that's what that rattle is! The pivot on mine isn't super tight, it flips open fine, and there's negligible blade wobble. I always thought it was a rogue ball bearing in the pivot.

I can come up with three more solutions: 1) Use a lanyard, 2) put a 1/4 of a drop of LocTite 290 (Green) in the space where the lanyard tube meets the scales, or 3) don't shake it. ;)

Green 290 was developed to flow into empty spaces and act as a bushing without disassembling parts. It's less viscous, (more runny,) and will creep into tight spaces. This would probably work on the stop pin on a Smock, too.

Edited to add: The rattle on the Advocate lanyard tube doesn't bother me, it only does it when I induce enough shaking to make it do it.
Last edited by Pokey on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:37 am
So that's what that rattle is! The pivot on mine isn't super tight, it flips open fine, and there's negligible blade wobble. I always thought it was a rogue ball bearing in the pivot.

I can come up with two more solutions: 1)Use a lanyard, or 2) put a 1/4 of a drop of LocTite 290 (Green) in the space where the lanyard tube meets the scales. Green 290 was developed to flow into empty spaces and act as a bushing without disassembling parts. It's less viscous, (more runny,) and will creep into tight spaces.

This would probably work on the stop pin on a Smock, too.
Thanks. I'll see if we have Loctite 290 available locally. It might be what I need to fix the noisy stop pin on my Canis.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:50 am
Pokey wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:37 am

I can come up with two more solutions: 1)Use a lanyard, or 2) put a 1/4 of a drop of LocTite 290 (Green) in the space where the lanyard tube meets the scales. Green 290 was developed to flow into empty spaces and act as a bushing without disassembling parts. It's less viscous, (more runny,) and will creep into tight spaces.

This would probably work on the stop pin on a Smock, too.
Thanks. I'll see if we have Loctite 290 available locally. It might be what I need to fix the noisy stop pin on my Canis.
Despite what I said above about my Advocate, the stop pin rattle on my Smock occurs more frequently with normal use, which is mildly annoying.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It happens on Taichung knives. Chef, one of my caribbeans, others as well.

It doesnt bother me.

What does bother me is the much louder stop pin rattle that Taichung knives with compression locks can have. My other caribbean and my canis have this problem.
Spyderco uses a non-stepped floating stop pin in Taichung compression lock knives. Sometimes these can rattle badly. To the point where I thought the knife was broken and took it apart.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:06 pm
It happens on Taichung knives. Chef, one of my caribbeans, others as well.

It doesnt bother me.

What does bother me is the much louder stop pin rattle that Taichung knives with compression locks can have. My other caribbean and my canis have this problem.
Spyderco uses a non-stepped floating stop pin in Taichung compression lock knives. Sometimes these can rattle badly. To the point where I thought the knife was broken and took it apart.
Yes, the stop pin on my Canis rattles as well. When I have time, I will see if some grease will solve the problem.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:48 am
Super glue is the simple fix!
Yep!

OP, I had the exact same problem with my Advocate and I fixed it easily with a tiny dab of super glue.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Seems common on Taichung knives. Golden knives usually have flared lanyard tubes so they won’t do it. My K2 rattled a lot so I took the tube out and put it in the box for safe keeping.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Common in all the spidies I’ve had. Most models that don’t use the tube as a connector work fine (or better) without the tube in my experience. The spydiechef in particular looks great without the tube.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I just received a Superhawk and for the first time, I have lanyard tube rattle. It was sold with an attached spydie lanyard - looked really cool but the bead tended to rap my knuckles annoyingly so I took it off. That's when the rattle showed up. My guess is that someone may well have used the lanyard to quiet the rattle, as it doesn't show any noticable wear (the knife is in very clean condition - aside from maybe a tiny amount of dirt or similar on the scales - I don't think it was ever sharpened). Anyway, first time for me so I thought I'd look it up - I do seem to recall mention of the lanyard to quiet a rattle in an earlier post. I don't think I'm planning to disassemble this one yet, but a toothpick tip-sized drop of superglue or applying a little grease will be fine for regular carry and use.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

defenestrate wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 am
I just received a Superhawk and for the first time, I have lanyard tube rattle. It was sold with an attached spydie lanyard - looked really cool but the bead tended to rap my knuckles annoyingly so I took it off. That's when the rattle showed up. My guess is that someone may well have used the lanyard to quiet the rattle, as it doesn't show any noticable wear (the knife is in very clean condition - aside from maybe a tiny amount of dirt or similar on the scales - I don't think it was ever sharpened). Anyway, first time for me so I thought I'd look it up - I do seem to recall mention of the lanyard to quiet a rattle in an earlier post. I don't think I'm planning to disassemble this one yet, but a toothpick tip-sized drop of superglue or applying a little grease will be fine for regular carry and use.

Yes, the suggestions on this thread have shown me that there are easy fixes to lanyard tube rattle. Congratulations on getting the Superhawk.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Thanks! I didn't have the scratch most of the time they were originally out and it's a shame they didn't sell better, because it's a great design. I picked up a Superleaf a couple of weeks prior and it is excellent as well. Might have slightly better action than the Superhawk but both are great knives. I've wanted a Superhawk for years so I couldn't pass it up especially once I tried the leaf.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Cool. Yes, there are a lot of hidden gems among the earlier Spyderco models.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

My Advocate lanyard tube started rattling more, and I’ve noticed the lanyard tube and “stop pin” were both rattling on my Smock.

I couldn’t find the Loctite 290 I mentioned in my earlier posts, so I got the Permatex Green Threadlocker. (same stuff) I used a toothpick to put part of a single drop of Threadlocker on the joint between the tube/pin and liner. As advertised, the Threadlocker wicked into the joints and quieted the rattles. I used a cotton swab dipped in acetone, shook off the excess acetone, and cleaned up the excess Threadlocker. A day later, no more rattles.
Attachments
DC79D0C7-5BF6-467A-B817-214AAC0AA397.jpeg
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Knives are not baby toys, if you stop shaking them, they will stop rattling.