Help with steel choice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T Tansil

Help with steel choice

Post by T Tansil »

Hey everyone, I’m going to be getting a manix2 and am going crazy trying to figure out what steel I should get. I had a lightweight maxamet, but hated the plastic feeling of the scales so I returned it. So I’m thinking of trying to get the purple cru-wear exclusive, or the brown m390 one. Both seem like pretty good all around steel. Anyone have any thoughts? I am pretty delicate with my knives and don’t sharpen that often. But I want a exclusive/sprint with high end steel (even though I don’t really need it)
Lefty PM2
sal

Re: Help with steel choice

Post by sal »

Hi T Tansil,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

T Tansil wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:05 pm
Hey everyone, I’m going to be getting a manix2 and am going crazy trying to figure out what steel I should get. I had a lightweight maxamet, but hated the plastic feeling of the scales so I returned it. So I’m thinking of trying to get the purple cru-wear exclusive, or the brown m390 one. Both seem like pretty good all around steel. Anyone have any thoughts? I am pretty delicate with my knives and don’t sharpen that often. But I want a exclusive/sprint with high end steel (even though I don’t really need it)

Welcome!

Can’t go wrong with that M4 exclusive. I’d go for it myself but I have other priorities at the moment. The G-10 Manix 2’s do feel quite different than the LW’s, but it’s hard to tell if it’s a personal fit without trying one.

I have never owned M4. You should do some research to see if this type of steel is right for your needs. I’m sure you can find good info on this forum.

If you go for that exclusive, you shouldn’t have much trouble passing it along if you end up not liking it. Manix 2 is a fantastic design.
Last edited by MFlovejp on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Go with M390 then. Better edge retention and stainless.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

The guy who does all my glass work just bought a Brown M390, I played with it for a few minutes the other day at work, super nice! I want one now! Funny how that works?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I am a Manix superfan, so I'll definitely buy the Cru Wear.

Do you value stain resistance?

Personally, I'd probably go with the M390, because it's stainless. If stain resistance isn't a priority, I prefer both 4v and Rex45 to Cruwear. You might still be able to find a (high priced) Rex 45 Manix somewhere.

FWIW, if you do get the black M390, it looks amazing with ironwood scales on it.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:34 pm
Go with M390 then. Better edge retention and stainless.
Yea, just by the sound of it M390 will be a better bet for OP.

Cruwear is a great steel, but sacrifices some edge retention for increased toughness.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I haven't had a knife in cru-wear yet but I can tell you that if you go with M390 you will not be disappointed. Fantastic edge retention if you don't sharpen often. Plus it's more corrosion resistant than cru-wear if that matters to you. If you are not rough with your knives toughness of M390 should be fine.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I would suggest M390. I shy away from buying too many folders with non-stainless steels like Cru-wear as I am wary of unseen corrosion occurring in the pivot area.

However, if rust isn't a big concern for you, then either option is okay.
Attachments
manix_m390_brown_g10_dlc_02.jpg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Is BHQ releasing an M4 Manix soon? If so, that's what I'd be after. The purple CruWear would be my second choice. There's also the REX45, but it has a considerable markup on eBay.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd take the Cruwear model and take advantage of the extra toughness over the M390 by thinning it and making a better slicer. It isn't that much lesser in wear resistance than M390 as it is in many different medias and to me it is more versatile. It has decent corrosion resistance as it is but that it has a bit less corrosion resistance than M390 ( not all that much and the type finish and heat treat changes stuff around) matters not to me because all my knives except Salt models get treated exactly the same. With a coat of wax they all don't corrode for me whether stainless or non stainless .
T Tansil

Post by T Tansil »

Yeah i think I already missed BHQ m4 manix, unless they do another one and I think st nick did theirs last year. Thanks for all the replies, is Rex45 really that good? Everyone here seems to love it
Lefty PM2
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

You really can’t go wrong with M390 and it’s American made versions (CTS-204p & CPM-20CV). It’s stainless, has great edge retention & decent toughness. The only downside would be the color of the scales if you don’t like brown, but you can always dye them black or put some aftermarket scales on it. Plus the other sprints aren’t in stock anymore as far as I know, so you’d have to look for them on the secondhand market.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tastes change.

I have at least a half dozen G10 Manii, and just 2 FRCP Manii. Guess which ones are always in pocket? The FRCP! My preference has evolved over the course of the past couple of years. I dig the lightweight pocket feel of the "plasticky" models.

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:40 pm
I'd take the Cruwear model and take advantage of the extra toughness over the M390 by thinning it and making a better slicer. It isn't that much lesser in wear resistance than M390 as it is in many different medias and to me it is more versatile. It has decent corrosion resistance as it is but that it has a bit less corrosion resistance than M390 ( not all that much and the type finish and heat treat changes stuff around) matters not to me because all my knives except Salt models get treated exactly the same. With a coat of wax they all don't corrode for me whether stainless or non stainless .

Mastiff is a steel mentor to me (he doesn't know it; well, now he does) and always has knowledgable advice. You probably don't want to go to the work of a regrind, but a tougher steel actually holds a thinner edge, which in turn makes a more "cutty" blade...read Larrin's book for an explanation as to how toughness interacts with edge holding...it's not "all about hardness."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

For what my opinion is worth, I was convinced years ago by Mastiff about the virtues of cruwear. I do have both cruwear and M390 in militaries and my M390 has chips. My cruwear has none. I've thinned them both to a little less than 15 dps.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Since the OP does not really seem to mess with his knives much, I'd go for the brown M390. There are no downsides here. The only reason for him to get the purple Cruwear would be for the color, in my thinking.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I would advise giving fiberglass-reinforced nylon a second chance. Both G10 and FRN are plastic composites. Just because the FRN is lighter doesn't mean it's cheap or weak. Spyderco does a really good job with it and it has some functional advantages over G10, like its weight and ability to be molded into complex shapes and textures.

Unfortunately consumer perception and groupthink have labelled FRN as "cheap-feeling" despite the reality.
T Tansil

Post by T Tansil »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 am
I would advise giving fiberglass-reinforced nylon a second chance. Both G10 and FRN are plastic composites. Just because the FRN is lighter doesn't mean it's cheap or weak. Spyderco does a really good job with it and it has some functional advantages over G10, like its weight and ability to be molded into complex shapes and textures.

Unfortunately consumer perception and groupthink have labelled FRN as "cheap-feeling" despite the reality.
My hands are pretty moist most of the time and g10 feels so much grippier in my hand. I also like the ability to take the knife apart and maybe get some micarta scales in the future. Thanks for the help
Lefty PM2