What's up with Spydiechef's lockstick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mugman16

What's up with Spydiechef's lockstick?

Post by Mugman16 »

Pretty notorious issue with the chef, why hasn't cqi included a carbidized lockface or something? I feel there is no way Spyderco is not aware of the issue, kinda bonk on such an expensive knife. Thoughts?
Danke

Re: What's up with Spydiechef's lockstick?

Post by Danke »

My Spidiechef doesn't have any lockstick and it's pre CQI.

Not really notorious unless you get all your info from YouTube vs. reality.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Danke wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 pm

I've owned/handled 5+ Chefs (including pre-CQI, first CQI, second CQI, and the blue anodized exclusive) and all have had lockstick, some pretty bad. I realize this is a fairly small sample size, but it seems to me like it is a pretty widespread issue (both from my personal experience as well as how many people online that have also complained about it).

I've also wondered why this hasn't been addressed/fixed, as Spyderco has made other Ti frame locks (without steel inserts) that haven't seemed to suffer from lockstick like the Chef.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Mine's pre CQI and no lock stick.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My pre-CQI had lock stick for the first year, but smoothed out a lot with regular use.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I wonder if there is a way to make a lockbar insert that would full Salt proof.
Because when you think about it, normal insert plus screw is added complexity which can rust...
Maybe a ceramic ball insert, like on Chris Reeve?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I got a CQI Spydiechef around June last year. It had some lock stick for about two weeks, but it smoothened out with use. It wasn't a big deal to me as I have framelocks from other makers that also had lock stick when new.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Mine has it. Neither use nor sharpie made it go away. Still kinda bugs me to the point that I'm considering to sell it, although I really like the design... might be my favourite out of the Spyderco line even. But I'm pretty anal about such things, so...
notorious fidgeteer
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My cqi chef(ceramic detent, grey hw) has terrible lock stick. Considered returning it, but everything else was good so I decided to see if it goes away with use.
I suspect it’s a little bit better already, but 2020 brought along quite a few alternatives, so it’s kind of squeezed for pocket time atm.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't mind some lock-stick. It is very minimal on my cqi.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

My blue exclusive one had some lock stick, but it went away fairly quick. Lock stick is pretty normal for Ti lock bars in my experience.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Neither of mine have it. Both are from the first CQI (ceramic ball and gray hardware). I also don't mind a little minor lock stick.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Wright.88 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:53 pm
Danke wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 pm

I've owned/handled 5+ Chefs (including pre-CQI, first CQI, second CQI, and the blue anodized exclusive) and all have had lockstick, some pretty bad. I realize this is a fairly small sample size, but it seems to me like it is a pretty widespread issue (both from my personal experience as well as how many people online that have also complained about it).

I've also wondered why this hasn't been addressed/fixed, as Spyderco has made other Ti frame locks (without steel inserts) that haven't seemed to suffer from lockstick like the Chef.
Sounds like you should get a different knife. One with with a steel insert if you like that kind of thing.

For me I'm guessing the actual issue has be exaggerated via YouTube reviewers and the like and no redesign is needed.
WRB

Post by WRB »

My CQI has no stick. People like to make it sound like every single one has that issue, but that's clearly not the case.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s funny how those who have ones with no lock stick or little lock stick think the problem is exaggerated. It could be, but that’s just as silly as claiming the design is flawed and need a redesign. Each of us have just insignificant anecdotal evidence, so we couldn’t possibly know either way.
I know that my sample is terrible, to the extent that it’s unsafe. I don’t believe it’s up to spyderco’s standards and probably shouldn’t have left the factory. I won’t defend it though, it’s bad QC. No way around it. Maybe it’s a slip or maybe it’s a systematic error - I just couldn’t know. I’ll live with it, bigger problems exist.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

My chef has a minor lockstick from time to time, but it's not a deal breaker. I recently got a used Strider SMF which I thought would be broken in... It has the worse lockstick I have EVER experienced. I actually needed to use a tire lever to reset it several times.

I have applied graphite to the lockface and it's a little bit better, but if the knife is deployed with a little energy it gets stuck open. I know many Strider owners will say: "oh work with it, and do this, or that" but to me it's hard to make excuses for a knife that's 500 bucks. Especially when a 40 dollar knife has better action.

At least the chef is only two hundred bones, and could be exchanged for a other one with less "stick". I feel like knives without steel inserts are prone to have this issue, but some are WAY worse than others. As long as I can close the knife with my hands idc.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

My Second doesn't have noticeable lock stick.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My chefs lockstick was terrible at first. But then it went away, so Im happy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

I only have the newer version (second CQI) and have had zero issues. Is the pencil/graphite or sharpie trick useless in this case?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Loctite makes a silver anti-seize compound that would probably work a whole lot better than pencil lead.