First post and advice needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tommyudo

First post and advice needed

Post by Tommyudo »

Hi All,

This is my first post in the forum. I recently picked up my first Spyderco, a lefty PM2. It's amazing and I've really been enjoying using it. So (of course) I'm now in the process of figuring out which my next Spyderco will be. I'd like to be able to discuss my thoughts in the context of other knives from other brands that have also meant a lot to me, is that allowed here?

Thanks,
Tom
JuPaul

Re: First post and advice needed

Post by JuPaul »

Sure, that's allowed. If we were only talking about the "other" brands, we'd do that in the Off-topic area of the forum. But if you want to ask something like "I like the Bugout, so what Spyderco is comparable?" then I'd say this is the right place. So what are you looking for in your next Spydie?

Welcome to the forum!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Tom,

welcome to the forum! :)

I am of course not a moderator or admin here at all, but I think if you mean that you want to discuss what you like in knives of other brands, and which Spydercos could offer similar features, that should be really not a problem.
What is a no go here though (and that´s good and really speaks for this great and respectful place!) is badmouthing other brands. But that is not what you´ve asked for anyway.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm
Sure, that's allowed. If we were only talking about the "other" brands, we'd do that in the Off-topic area of the forum. But if you want to ask something like "I like the Bugout, so what Spyderco is comparable?" then I'd say this is the right place. So what are you looking for in your next Spydie?

Welcome to the forum!

Julia, you beat me perhaps for 1/10 of a second... ;) .. and we said pretty much the same. :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Some questions you might consider so we can give you better advice:

- Do you necessarely want a specific lefty- or at least ambidextrous lock?
- Do you want another knife in the PM2 size or something smaller / larger?
- Do you have to consider local legal blade length limitations, is (low) weight a concern for you?
- Any preferences concerning handle material?
- Does your knife have to be more or less rust resistant?
- How good are you at sharpening resp. what sharpening equipment do you have?

And what I´d do in any case: Try Spydercos serrated edge in a full flat grind blade... ;)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've asked about comparisons of Spydercos to other knives and never had a problem. People have even replied with pics comparing Spydercos to other companies' knives. For example - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79853

As JuPaul has already said, there are also a few long running threads discussing just other brands' knives in the off topic section. I suspect that Sal and others on the Spyderco team get some valuable market insights by seeing which knives their fanbase on this forum like from other makers.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!

What other knives were you thinking about?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome to the forum!
You might check out the Delica if you're looking for something that would work just as well for a leftie; it's a bit smaller than the PM2, but incredibly useful nonetheless. I understand the Manix 2 is a very ergonomic piece if that's something that's high on your list opf priorities, and that one would also suit a leftie as well. Spyderco offers approximately eleventy billion steel types, so I'm sure you could find something that fits your style.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome!

if you already have a pm2, i would suggest a pacific salt with serrations. it would make a great compliment. and, if you search the forum, you'll find it gets tons of praise here and for good reason. if i could only keep one knife, my pacific salt would probably be it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

May I suggest a Byrd hawkbill ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Julia, you beat me perhaps for 1/10 of a second... ;) .. and we said pretty much the same. :)
Great minds think alike. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Too many suggestions might overwhelm someone new to the brand. Let's let him reply back with a little more detail after maybe checking out some of the recommendations. Seen a lot of new people make a post like this one and then vanish after like 30 suggestions are made haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Tommyudo

Post by Tommyudo »

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome and the fast response.

In terms of my small collection, here is a short list in no particular order of that I like best:

1. Benchmade Proper - This small slipjoint micarta handled knife goes with me when I don't want to clip a knife in my pocket, usually when I'm wearing dress pants to work.
2. Benchmade Valet - I carry this one when I want to carry a smaller knife with a pocket clip.
3. CRK Sebenza Small Left-handed - I rewarded myself with this knife for my 50th birthday last year. I haven't carried it all that much, but I do like keeping it on my desk for when I need a knife and to admire it's construction (and to screw around with).
4. Benchmade Grizzly Creek - This is the knife I tend to take with me if I'm working on a project in the yard, building or fixing something. It feels really good in the hand and I like the larger size.
5. Spyderco PM2 Lefty- As I mentioned in my previous post this is my newest knife and I'm really impressed so far. It seems to have a lot about it that is just right, especially the ergos. I can see picking up more Spydercos over the next couple of years.

The common thread is as a left-handed guy I appreciate the ability to work easily with the knives with my dominant hand, and I also appreciate really well made stuff in my everyday life.

Going forward, the two knives that appeal to me most are the Sage 1 Maxamet and the Native 5 Maxamet. I'd like to try one of the premium steels. I'm not worried about caring for it properly, I think I can avoid the corrosion. I have a SharpMaker and am comfortable using it. I'm not sure that I'd like working with the lock on the Sage left handed, so that puts a bit of a damper on it for me. I'm sure many of you will point me towards the Manix 2, but I think I'd like my next one to be a size smaller than the PM2.

Thanks,
Tom
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Welcome to the forum!

Considering that list of questions which Wartstein helpfully posted, is a good way to get some specific advice, rather than just hearing a bunch of everyone’s personal favourites.

Favourite models are good to know, of course, but I might suggest you also consider what kind of usage and materials you’ll be putting your knife to.

Some people also like to carry complementary knives, with different features or different sizes or shape of blades too, so it might be worthwhile to think about a knife that offers something different to your lefty PM2.

There’s a few leftys here who can let you know how the various lock types work for them, as well.
Tommyudo

Post by Tommyudo »

[Edit] I see my reply has been released by the Mods, thanks!

Hi All,
I'm the OP. I wrote a detailed reply yesterday and haven't seen it posted. I assumed it was waiting to be moderated but I might have clicked the wrong button and sent it into the ether.... Can one of the mods please let me know?

Thanks,
Tom
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

I'm a big Native 5 proponent. I think you can't go wrong, and its fully ambidextrous. If you like the PM2 and want to go smaller the PM3 may also work out for you. I'm not sure if there is a left hand variant, but my guess is they exist.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I personally like the Delica better than the Native 5 and I like K390 better than Maxamet. So, a K390 Delica sounds like the right knife. I've got one Native 5, but I have 4 Delica's and one more in my cart, now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Welcome to the forum.

Note that the Native 5 Maxamet comes in FRN and not G10. I have one, and while it is certainly well made, some may perceive that it does not feel as substantial as a knife with G10 scales.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome to the forum, Tom!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049