Pictures of Delica 4 and Salt 2 handle thickness.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Pictures of Delica 4 and Salt 2 handle thickness.

Post by Xformer »

I might pull the trigger on the Salt 2, since I want to see how a linerless Delica would feel like and I need a better knife for fishing than the old victorinox I use.

What I need is a picture of both the Delica 4 and the Salt 2, side by side from above, to compare the handle thickness. I heard the Salt 2 was thicker, I need to gauge by how much. If possible, both knife open so I could compare the thickness of the grind too.

I've googled it for half an hour and couldn't find it, even on Youtube reviews.

Thanks !
araneae

Re: Pictures of Delica 4 and Salt 2 handle thickness.

Post by araneae »

Honestly, the handle difference is almost imperceptible in a pic. I was going to take one for you, but I can't see it being helpful. I certainly haven't noticed a lot of difference in use. In my measurement it's about 1 mm thicker, maybe a hair more.

The grind is thicker at the spine on the Salt 2 for sure compared to a Delica that is FFG and distally tapered. If you really want I'll take a shot for you.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

araneae wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:06 pm
Honestly, the handle difference is almost imperceptible in a pic. I was going to take one for you, but I can't see it being helpful. I certainly haven't noticed a lot of difference in use. In my measurement it's about 1 mm thicker, maybe a hair more.

The grind is thicker at the spine on the Salt 2 for sure compared to a Delica that is FFG and distally tapered. If you really want I'll take a shot for you.
Yeah, that would be really nice of you.

In fact, to be 100% honest it's also for my own curiosity. I'll pull the trigger on the Salt 2 regardless, but we'll soon enter lockdown in my country, so he won't arrive before some time... It would also be a first I think, since I didn't see a direct comparison between the two from above. Could be helpful for future potential buyers :)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Bump, still need the picture.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

This is the best that I could do. It's actually an Endura 4 and Pacific Salt 2, but it should be a similar situation with the Delica 4 and Salt 2.

Honestly, if there is a difference in thickness, it's nearly undetectable.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
araneae

Post by araneae »

Is this what you're looking for?

Just got a new phone and hadn't set up imgur yet.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Salt2 and Delica4

Last edited by Tgmr05 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

This is probably a better view to show the difference. The Salt2 is slightly thicker, but also slightly lighter..

Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 pm
This is probably a better view to show the difference. The Salt2 is slightly thicker, but also slightly lighter..

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, it is noticeable, it is thicker. I can't wait to hold the Salt 2 in my hand.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

araneae wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 pm

Hey, some more pics are always welcome. The more you can take the better.
tangent

Post by tangent »

The Salt 2 handle is better. Lighter but thicker...I notice it more in hand than in photos. They should all be linerless. :)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

tangent wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 am
The Salt 2 handle is better. Lighter but thicker...I notice it more in hand than in photos. They should all be linerless. :)
The Salt 2 handle is probably a test for a revised Delica 5. I mean, what are the liners even here for on a Delica ? Outside of adding a point of rust, making it slightly heavier and harder to maintain ?
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:20 am
tangent wrote:
The Salt 2 handle is probably a test for a revised Delica 5. I mean, what are the liners even here for on a Delica ? Outside of adding a point of rust, making it slightly heavier and harder to maintain ?
The D4 feels like a tank compared to the Salt 2. That's not to say that the Salt 2 feels cheap. It feels very sturdy while also reducing weight and providing a little more thickness for a more secure grip. I say the D5 needs to switch to linerless, too.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 am
Chapp wrote:
tangent wrote:
The D4 feels like a tank compared to the Salt 2. That's not to say that the Salt 2 feels cheap. It feels very sturdy while also reducing weight and providing a little more thickness for a more secure grip. I say the D5 needs to switch to linerless, too.
The problem is @Sal once said that the Delica 3 was linerless, so would Spyderco get back to it, after adding liners to the 4th version ? I don't know, but that would be great. There's only advantages in my opinion.

Do you have both the Salt 2 and the Delica 4 ?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

araneae wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 pm

FWIW I find imgur easier to use on my phone just going to the site and using the web interface.
-Turbo
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

Robbob wrote:
According to my scale, the D4 is 2.3 oz. while the PS2 is 2.5 BUT I agree w/ Robbob that the D4 just feels more substantial in the hand, and probably due to its smaller size so the mass is more concentrated. With this said the PS2 doesn't feel flimsy by any means.
BTW OP, even though the handle of the PS2 is also marginally taller but that's not enough for me to notice any difference during use.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

bruce91748 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:53 pm
Robbob wrote:
According to my scale, the D4 is 2.3 oz. while the PS2 is 2.5 BUT I agree w/ Robbob that the D4 just feels more substantial in the hand, and probably due to its smaller size so the mass is more concentrated. With this said the PS2 doesn't feel flimsy by any means.
BTW OP, even though the handle of the PS2 is also marginally taller but that's not enough for me to notice any difference during use.
Are you referring to the Pacific Salt? I was talking about the Salt 2.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Chapp wrote:
tangent wrote:
You are correct, however, the liners will add to longetivity of the lifetime of the blade IMO.

Delica 4 was one of the worst designs for me and I bought it a couple of months back, as I wanted to try one of the trademark Spydercos.

Now it's the only knife I carry, not even sure why.

I guess I hate it enough to use it without restrictions (all my other loved Spydies are more or less for flicking and showing :D).
This thing just glides into the back pocket, and even with my fat *** I'm sure it will not bend because of the ss liners.

The only thing I don't understand, compared to Delica 3/Salt 1, is why they reduced the handle height under index finger and at the same time moved the guard back, so even my M/L fingers get cramped.
When I look at Endura and Endela, both their finger guards are the same style as D3/S1.
Not sure why they decided to pull it back on the smallest model.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Not sure how the liners add to the lifetime of the blade, but sure.

I love the linerless models, I just wish they used solid FRN scales instead of the ladder style or "skeletonized" scales. The full scales don't add that much more weight, and I think there would be even less flex.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Chapp wrote:
tangent wrote:
I agree with both of you. It would also reduce costs since Spyderco would only need one set of handle molds for all FRN variants. I guess it's lucky for me that the Native 5 fits my hand better than the Delica 4. I'm still waiting for an LC200N Salt version of the Endela.