Bleach FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Bleach FRN?

Post by Doc Dan »

Is it possible to bleach FRN and not ruin the material? For example, the yellow on the Salts, both Seki and Golden, are not my favorite shade. I really like pastel yellow, though (think Case yellow handles). So, that got me to thinking of ways to lighten the yellow just a bit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Re: Bleach FRN?

Post by Pokey »

Leave them sitting on a sunny window sill. The UV light will fade them like you won’t believe.
The UV will fade the higher frequency/shorter wave length colors of the spectrum to white.

Turn regularly.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bleach and UV from sunlight will damage the handle material. To what degree I do not know, but color change indicated damage.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I know it can be boiled in bleach and fade the color, but then that is deadly to do that. I wonder if there is another method?

I had not thought about the sun, but it makes me wonder if it will deteriorate the FRN, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have an atlantic salt that I used to keep on a dry bag. It has gotten a lot of sun.

On the plus side I am not worried about the frn being weaker or breaking. It still seems pretty sturdy to me.

However, the color change, while noticeable, is not significant. The yellow does not "pop" like a new in box seki salt. But its still pretty darn yellow.

Also if my knife is any indication, it will take a whole lot of sun to get a significant color change.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Do y’all think putting frn scales in a UV decontamination box would speed the discoloration along?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I would suggest dyeing darker. I don't like the idea of bleaching, but that is just me. A fairly quick red dunk will give you orange. A longer red dunk will give you red. A quick blue... well you get the idea. Check often though. My Native 5 Salt went real dark blue (almost black) faster than I expected based on the videos I watched before hand. It was darker than I had intended, but now I absolutely love the deep blue colour.
native 5.jpg
Last edited by bobnikon on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Here it is next to a basically unused Pacific salt.
The pics arent good but you should be able to see the color difference.
Attachments
20210122_120338.jpg
20210122_120245.jpg
20210122_120051.jpg
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm
How long did you carry it? I quite like the more gentle yellow.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That is getting more towards the color I would like. I think it would take a long time to get it to that color.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:50 am
Do y’all think putting frn scales in a UV decontamination box would speed the discoloration along?
Interesting idea. I wonder if this would work without damaging the knife? The sun will heat up the knife and open up the FRN so it can be bleached by the sun. I'm not certain about your suggestion, but it would be cool to find out. Mine burnt up or I would go try it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:50 am
Interesting idea. I wonder if this would work without damaging the knife? The sun will heat up the knife and open up the FRN so it can be bleached by the sun. I'm not certain about your suggestion, but it would be cool to find out. Mine burnt up or I would go try it.
Wouldn’t put the whole knife in lol. Either way they don’t really heat up stuff, plastic safe and such.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here are some examples of faded Salts. The Fish Hunter spent a couple of years in a aquarium under the plant lights. You can see new a new Salt on the shelf below it, in the background. The crud on the handle and steel appears to be algae, the H1 steel looks fine otherwise.

The Ladybug is next to a couple of brand new Salts. The Ladybug is slightly faded from the UV given off by the florescent lights in the display case. The color of the two new ones is more saturated, and really pops in person.
Attachments
57FB943F-63FD-4BBE-901F-944F77073C38.jpeg
3408E91C-5EF7-4C92-8213-4B66DCAF15A1.jpeg
C9121882-5DE5-43D8-9E1D-CBE6AFF8C1AE.jpeg
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I like that faded look from the aquarium! Reminds me of the lovely "Ivory" Stretch from a couple of years ago, which I'm still kicking myself for not buying.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:01 pm
I like that faded look from the aquarium! Reminds me of the lovely "Ivory" Stretch from a couple of years ago, which I'm still kicking myself for not buying.
I thought of the similarity to the Ivory Stretch color, too.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Senfkarte wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm
How long did you carry it? I quite like the more gentle yellow.
Doc Dan wrote: That is getting more towards the color I would like. I think it would take a long time to get it to that color.
So I used to keep my atlantic salt on a dry bag that I used when I worked on the beach. I would say that knife went to the beach 3 to 4 days a week, for 6 months straight, over a peiod of 2 to 3 years. It also went out on the boat a lot.

There are a couple things to consider though.

First I was never really paying attention to, or concerned with, how much direct exposure the knife was getting. My dry bag spent the majority of its time in a lifeguard stand. So it was often in the shade. Even if it wasnt in the shade the bag could have been turned so that the knife clipped onto the handle was in the shade cast by the bag. So I cant really say just how much sun that knife got, but it was still plenty im sure.

Second I am pretty sure the fading wasnt linear. I really want to say most of the fading happened earlier on and then the knife started to level off a bit with how much it seemed to fade. Im not positive on this but I seem to remember it that way.

Pokeys suggestion seems to be the way to go. And his example is certainly proof. Direct exposure to (uv?) light will certainly fade the frn.

If you had a window sill that got light all day, then I imagine leaving your knife on it with a fair amount of flipping would fade it pretty well. It might start to fade towards the color of my atlantic salt after a few months.

Doc I actually think this would be a good opportunity for you to do an experiment. How much window sunlight exposure until you get it faded to the color you desire.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 pm
Is it possible to bleach FRN and not ruin the material? For example, the yellow on the Salts, both Seki and Golden, are not my favorite shade. I really like pastel yellow, though (think Case yellow handles). So, that got me to thinking of ways to lighten the yellow just a bit.
I asked my buddy that's an organic chemist about it and he said that you'll almost certainly damage the scales before getting the desired effect. I have done a fair bit of 'Rit' work and would highly recommend going that route, if you're starting out with yellow you can get a huge range of blue or green really easily, just stick with the "DyeMore" synthetic dye variety, it works better and over time the new color stays truer in my experience.

Cheers,

John
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks, folks. Yeah, I think getting a faded color without compromising the FRN might not be possible. I was hoping someone had come up with a way. The UV light looks promising, but I still wonder what it would do to the FRN.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JMM

Post by JMM »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:05 am
Thanks, folks. Yeah, I think getting a faded color without compromising the FRN might not be possible. I was hoping someone had come up with a way. The UV light looks promising, but I still wonder what it would do to the FRN.
I'd wager it would make it brittle or something along those lines
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:05 am
I'd wager it would make it brittle or something along those lines
You are probably right. I've seen some of the old fashioned stuff crumble.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050