Sage 5 Lightweight Frenzy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight Frenzy

Post by Wartstein »

JLopez wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 am
JLopez wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:40 pm
I just got my first Spyderco knife today and it was a Sage 5 LW

Welcome to the forum! :)

And congrats, that´s a nice first Spyderco! :)

Thanks! I also picked up a Manix 2 in M390

Very cool, what a nice combo!

Now, let me make a suggestion: Get a Pac Salt SE in LC200N (the green handled one in ffg) next:
By doing so, you´d really have a perfect set of folders (Sage 5 LW, Manix 2, Pac Salt SE) that will represent a lot of what is so special in Spydercos...

Three knives in three different sizes (small, medium, large if you will), three different locktypes, knives with and without liners, choil and no choil, PE and Spydercos great serrated edge (really, how Spyderco does "teeth" is something else, you should not miss trying those!) :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm
We have "Button Lock" planned , but capacity is an issue.

What other locks would you like to see on Sages?

sal
That's great news!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Phantom lock or some kind of swivel bolster would be top of my list.

Imagine a version of the Sage 4 with a swivel bolster lock. And with a different exotic wood.

Or a silver twill CF scaled phantom lock Sage. I would direct deposit my paychecks to Spyderco’s bank for either one of those.
StrawberryRocketFuel

Post by StrawberryRocketFuel »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 pm
sal wrote:

sal
CBBL would be cool.
second!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StrawberryRocketFuel wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:23 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 pm
sal wrote:

sal
CBBL would be cool.
second!
Third! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wim Anders

Post by Wim Anders »

sal wrote:

sal
Wow, lots of things to look forward to!

I'm a big fan of Andrew Demko's scorpion lock. I'm not sure if it works on models smaller than the AD15, though.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Sage is a new model to me. I have been a fan of the Native 5 for a couple years now and appreciate the various iterations.

PXL_20210311_163857551.jpg

I find it interesting how similar the Sage and Native are in form, yet how different they feel in hand. I generally attribute most of that to the thumb ramp on the Sage. The other obvious differences are lock type, clip type and handle material. The cutting edge and handle are slightly longer on the Sage. I find the increased edge length useful but not very noticeable and also that the increased handle length does not offer a noticeably bigger grip area. The choil on the Sage is more 'in the handle' and the choil on the Native is more 'in the blade'-- maybe 60/40 and 40/60 approximately.

I'm keeping an open mind with the Sage, but I'm sure i will keep carrying and enjoying my Natives too. On the Sage I especially enjoy the wire clip, aftermarket micarta scales and variety from my Natives.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Backlock LW

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I like the design a lot, just waitin' for steel variations to sweep the lineup. Slap s90v on either the 2 or the 5 and I'm on it in an instant.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am
The Sage is a new model to me. I have been a fan of the Native 5 for a couple years now and appreciate the various iterations.

PXL_20210311_163857551.jpg

I find it interesting how similar the Sage and Native are in form, yet how different they feel in hand. I generally attribute most of that to the thumb ramp on the Sage. The other obvious differences are lock type, clip type and handle material. The cutting edge and handle are slightly longer on the Sage. I find the increased edge length useful but not very noticeable and also that the increased handle length does not offer a noticeably bigger grip area. The choil on the Sage is more 'in the handle' and the choil on the Native is more 'in the blade'-- maybe 60/40 and 40/60 approximately.

That´s what I´d prefer in the Sage, while the backlock in the Native.

Btw, the plus in cutting edge on the Sage over the Native might not be too noticeable for many.
But in fact (when I go by the specs Spyderco gives): The increase in cutting edge from Native to Sage is the same as it is from Sage to Manix 2 LW absolutely seen (relatively seen the increase from Native to Sage is even more than from Sage to Manix LW)
Instinctively many would probably say that the Manix offers substantially more edge than the Sage, but that there is not much difference between Sage and Native.
When in fact, concerning cutting egde, the Sage is as much a bigger knife than the Native as the Manix is bigger than the Sage.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:14 pm
I like the design a lot, just waitin' for steel variations to sweep the lineup. Slap s90v on either the 2 or the 5 and I'm on it in an instant.
I'd rather see a more corrosion resistant steel like S110V, 20CV, LC200N, or even Vanax in the Sage 2's liner-less Ti handle; but I'd still buy one with S90V if that's what a reissue comes out with. S90V in a Sage 5 LW with the MGE teal blue scales would be a must buy for me. A Sage 5 with S90V blade, the LW's bushing pivot, and solid, fluted CF scales like the Native 5 CF/S90V would be amazing.
Dolphran

Post by Dolphran »

I'm surprised the Domino doesn't come up in any discussion of the Sage 5. I recently got the Bento Box 204P Domino and I love it. I might have gotten a Sage 5 instead if it was available in M390/20CV/204P, because I live by the ocean and really want the extra corrosion resistance of that steel. (Though I guess I would still have to worry about the steel liners instead of titanium frame.) I'm surprised the Domino was discontinued, but if its overlap with the Sage 5 is part of the reason then perhaps I can understand it. My only gripe about the Domino is the slightly over 3" blade length, when both the Para 3 and Sage 5 are fine in 3" max jurisdictions. If the Domino in M390 was exactly 3" and had a factory deep carry clip, I think it would be the perfect Spyderco. (Perhaps with a removable flipper tab like some Italian blades to satisfy thumb hole purists)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dolphran wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 pm
I'm surprised the Domino doesn't come up in any discussion of the Sage 5. I recently got the Bento Box 204P Domino and I love it. I might have gotten a Sage 5 instead if it was available in M390/20CV/204P, because I live by the ocean and really want the extra corrosion resistance of that steel. (Though I guess I would still have to worry about the steel liners instead of titanium frame.) I'm surprised the Domino was discontinued, but if its overlap with the Sage 5 is part of the reason then perhaps I can understand it. My only gripe about the Domino is the slightly over 3" blade length, when both the Para 3 and Sage 5 are fine in 3" max jurisdictions. If the Domino in M390 was exactly 3" and had a factory deep carry clip, I think it would be the perfect Spyderco. (Perhaps with a removable flipper tab like some Italian blades to satisfy thumb hole purists)

Never had a Domino, but always thought it is a very cool and intriguing model!

Where I have to disagree though:
For me it does not really overlap too much with the Sage, but more so with knives like the Manix:
- It has a Manix LW cutting edge and almost the same closed length, which makes it in my personal categorization a knife that is almost to small for a general EDC folder, while the Sage for me is an even smaller knife for rather special occasions.
- The Domino also weighs about the same as all the non S30V G10 Manixes, and more than a PM2.
- So for me it fits better in the Manix / PM2 size category.

While the Sage 5 is the size and kind of knife, where I really like the comp. lock, I still prefer the frame lock of the Domino for its more natural, more comfortable and for me safer use and no cutout on the top of the handle that can lead to hotspots in prolongued use.
I also prefer the NON-deep- carry clip of the Domino

A "Domino lightweight" would be very nice, though of course in a frame lock the options of making a knife lighter are limited
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian guy

Post by Belgian guy »

I'm strongly considering the sage 5 LW, as it seems almost perfect for me. However, I'm debating on whether or not I should hold off for just a few months in the hope that a version with a different steel and a colored handle comes out. I'm not a 'steel snob' by any means, but since I plan to make this my primary edc for many many years, I think I want to treat myself with something a bit more exotic. Also, I think I would really enjoy a colored handle (in particular, some shade of blue) instead of a black one.
Do any of you think it's worth the wait? Or is it completely unrealistic to hope for anything like this in the following year?
Is there a regular timing for announcing new releases?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Belgian guy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 am
I'm strongly considering the sage 5 LW, as it seems almost perfect for me. However, I'm debating on whether or not I should hold off for just a few months in the hope that a version with a different steel and a colored handle comes out. I'm not a 'steel snob' by any means, but since I plan to make this my primary edc for many many years, I think I want to treat myself with something a bit more exotic. Also, I think I would really enjoy a colored handle (in particular, some shade of blue) instead of a black one.
Do any of you think it's worth the wait? Or is it completely unrealistic to hope for anything like this in the following year?
I have examples of all the Sage versions except the Sage 5 LW. A friend sent me his S30V version to check out and It's really well done. I definitely plan on buying one but I already have/had a few knives with black handles. So like you I've decided to wait for a special version. I've already been waiting awhile and, while I'm hopeful, I'm not sure we'll see any Sage 5 LW exclusives in the next few months. Not a problem for me but if it was I'd just go ahead and buy the S30V version with black handle. I might even consider buying a set of the aftermarket handles for it that I've seen. I might even do that anyway since S30V/S35VN is actually a really good steel for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Belgian guy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 am
I'm guessing the next reveal could be in a month or two, but I'm not aware of any official timing. It's not unrealistic to hope for something, if you're patient, but it's not realistic to expect something either. It's also a balancing act on if the existing model starts going out of stock places. New reveals are limited in the number of models they touch, and sprint runs are just way too random to predict. A Sage 5 in SPY27 or K390 with a blue handle might be a future thing, but never know. If you're flexible on model you're more likely to find something interesting (Chaparral, Dragonfly, Lil Native are all smaller models that could come out with an interesting LW.)

I pulled the trigger on the regular S30V Sage LW recently and bought custom red CF scales. Not cheap, but they really dress up the knife. Very happy with it.
They have a blue shred version as well if you decide to get the S30V and dress it up:
Parsons Bladeworks is the website if you're interested.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:31 pm
Dolphran wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Never had a Domino, but always thought it is a very cool and intriguing model!

Where I have to disagree though:
For me it does not really overlap too much with the Sage, but more so with knives like the Manix:
- It has a Manix LW cutting edge and almost the same closed length, which makes it in my personal categorization a knife that is almost to small for a general EDC folder, while the Sage for me is an even smaller knife for rather special occasions.
- The Domino also weighs about the same as all the non S30V G10 Manixes, and more than a PM2.
- So for me it fits better in the Manix / PM2 size category.

While the Sage 5 is the size and kind of knife, where I really like the comp. lock, I still prefer the frame lock of the Domino for its more natural, more comfortable and for me safer use and no cutout on the top of the handle that can lead to hotspots in prolongued use.
I also prefer the NON-deep- carry clip of the Domino

A "Domino lightweight" would be very nice, though of course in a frame lock the options of making a knife lighter are limited
Definitely a "different strokes for different folks" situation on sizing, everyone has their own preference. I like my Manix 2 LW, but it's a bit too bulky for everyday carry in khakis, much better for a woods walking/camping knife for me. On the other hand that Goldilocks ~3in blade size that Spyderco does so well is perfect for my edc needs, and I'll have a Native 5, Delica, Sage 1, Lum Chinese, etc in my pocket at any given time, more often than not.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Between watching this thread and my enjoyment of the Chapparal LW, just ordered the Sage 5 LW. Compression lock, S30V blade. Will be excited to try it out!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:52 pm
Between watching this thread and my enjoyment of the Chapparal LW, just ordered the Sage 5 LW. Compression lock, S30V blade. Will be excited to try it out!
Yes, the Sage LW is VERY tempting! For my taste the perfect knife for a comp. lock (which is generally not my favorite lock type) and for me the way "better Para 3" - I am close to getting one for more "urban carry", it is just such a perfect and thought through design.

But what it´s NOT: A larger Chap. Not a bad thing in itself at all, but aside from an overall similar shape it has not too much in common with the Chap imho. That being said: For "small knife guys" (I know YOU are not one of those) the combination Chap and Sage 5 LW would make a lot of sense (one should be on SE though)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:07 pm
M Sea wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:52 pm
Yes, the Sage LW is VERY tempting! For my taste the perfect knife for a comp. lock (which is generally not my favorite lock type) and for me the way "better Para 3" - I am close to getting one for more "urban carry", it is just such a perfect and thought through design.

But what it´s NOT: A larger Chap. Not a bad thing in itself at all, but aside from an overall similar shape it has not too much in common with the Chap imho. That being said: For "small knife guys" (I know YOU are not one of those) the combination Chap and Sage 5 LW would make a lot of sense (one should be on SE though)
Yes, agreed but I am also a fan of smaller knives. Overall the large ones get carried more but I have to say the Cruwear Delica from DLT and the Chap really have me looking at smaller Spydies. Bacically I love them ALL and I want ALL of them!!! 😂