Sage 5 Lightweight Frenzy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight Frenzy

Post by Larry_Mott »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:25 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:14 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:02 pm
Perhaps i am not alone in silently wishing for the Sage series to move forward, to the Sage 6 instead of sideways and backwards :)
That's a pretty strong assertion. How has the Sage series moved backwards?
Probably in reference to the return of the Sage 1 in Maxamet, but I don’t entirely share their opinion.
Correct. AFAIK the Sage series is about different locks on a common blade configuration and that's what i want to see, not another PM2 Carnival of infinite variations of the same.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Perhaps i am not alone in silently wishing for the Sage series to move forward, to the Sage 6 instead of sideways and backwards :)
Same here! The Sage serie were announced for different lock types to compare them in handling aspects and so on what makes the project extremely interesting. At least this is what I understood.

But money makes the world go round and changes a lot, not always to my liking.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:49 am
Cl1ff wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Probably in reference to the return of the Sage 1 in Maxamet, but I don’t entirely share their opinion.
Correct. AFAIK the Sage series is about different locks on a common blade configuration and that's what i want to see, not another PM2 Carnival of infinite variations of the same.
Yes, that was the original premise. But it turned out to be a size and shape that many people liked, myself included. So, Sal gave us the Sage 5 LW as a user offshoot. He said the 5 LW would provide opportunities for other steels and handle materials. I'd like to see a Sage 6 and further models. I'd also like to see the Sage 2, 3, and 4 reissued in basic S30V and G10 or FRN handles for those who missed those models. If we could get all the Sages with the same handle material (at least on the front scale of the Sage 2) that would make them feel even more similar and really put the focus on the locks. I hope that Spyderco can find a solution to getting production capacity to meet demand.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:15 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Cl1ff wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

Yes, that was the original premise. But it turned out to be a size and shape that many people liked, myself included. So, Sal gave us the Sage 5 LW as a user offshoot. He said the 5 LW would provide opportunities for other steels and handle materials. I'd like to see a Sage 6 and further models. I'd also like to see the Sage 2, 3, and 4 reissued in basic S30V and G10 or FRN handles for those who missed those models. If we could get all the Sages with the same handle material (at least on the front scale of the Sage 2) that would make them feel even more similar and really put the focus on the locks. I hope that Spyderco can find a solution to getting production capacity to meet demand.
I do get that. However as a collector of the Sages i am primarily interested in the different locks, again i have no interest in collecting umpteen variations on existing models.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:59 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Cl1ff wrote:

I do get that. However as a collector of the Sages i am primarily interested in the different locks, again i have no interest in collecting umpteen variations on existing models.
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm fine with variations of the Sage 5 LW. In fact I've been waiting for something a little different than the base model. I even bought the new Maxamet Sage 1. But I'm hopeful that was just a one-off. I'd rather not see the Sage series turn into what the PM2 and Para 3 have become with dozens of variations of each model. I can't/won't buy them all. I'd rather see completely new versions with different lock like it started out as.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

The chaparral is the best sage model. Change my mind.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:55 am

Well... if I could have only either a Sage 5 LW or a Chaparral FRN: Yes, Chaparral, no doubt.

But I think the Sage 5 LW is pretty different to the Chap, despite its similar lines. For me your statement is a bit like saying "The Manix is the better PM2 model" (or vice versa) (not offense meant!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Cl1ff wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm fine with variations of the Sage 5 LW. In fact I've been waiting for something a little different than the base model. I even bought the new Maxamet Sage 1. But I'm hopeful that was just a one-off. I'd rather not see the Sage series turn into what the PM2 and Para 3 have become with dozens of variations of each model. I can't/won't buy them all. I'd rather see completely new versions with different lock like it started out as.
I totally get what you´re saying when looking at it as if I were a collector.

But I (and others of course) have proposed for quite sometime, that if a small comp. lock model gets all the variants and steels to try out, that perhaps a change from Para 3 to Sage 5 would be no mistake.
The Para 3 seems to be a knife that polarizes a bit: Some really love it, but others just don´t like it enough to get it just for trying out steels or whatever. Maybe the Sage 5 finds more common ground here? Just a guess, and of course totally subjective, but for me the Sage 5 has several features that are just "better" for a small knife in the sense that perhaps more people will like them or at least can live with them well (blade stock, handle design...).
Personally I think the Sage 5 is an amazing, perfect design in almost every aspect.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Blnd wrote:
It's a Chaparral, not a Sage

I do agree that the Chaparral has the same general shape but it would have to grow a little to actually be a Sage model.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 pm
Blnd wrote:

Well... if I could have only either a Sage 5 LW or a Chaparral FRN: Yes, Chaparral, no doubt.

But I think the Sage 5 LW is pretty different to the Chap, despite its similar lines. For me your statement is a bit like saying "The Manix is the better PM2 model" (or vice versa) (not offense meant!)
Come on Gernot, you KNOW the Manix is better than the PM2 ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Admittedly, my favorite thing about Spyderco’s Sage line is the original purpose of paying homage to the many lock designs on the same basic blade and handle shape (I plan to track down a few of them like the Sage 3).

That said, to quote the product guide, the return of the Maxamet Sage 1 “ushers in a new era by supercharging the Michael Walker Linerlock.”

To me, this coupled with the possibility of a Rex121 Sage 5 lightweight, could imply Spyderco wants to upgrade or “supercharge” each locking mechanism/Sage iteration with top class steels.
Whether or not this is actually the plan (the above is just what it seems like to my eyes and ears), I do think that this project is actually a fantastic way to honor each lock by taking them to the next level.

I understand the concerns of progress in regards to honoring the next locks (there are a few I’d really love to see), but maybe these upgrades are another new way to honor each lock?

Again, this may not be the case at all and it just so happens Rex121 is being tested in a Sage before finally being “abandoned” or even produced in a different knife, but the way this Maxamet Sage is “ushering in a new era” makes me wonder.

I’m not opposed to this at all, personally!
In my mind, collectors can collect however they want.
I’ve already seen people say they want the whole Sage line redone in Maxamet and now those who’d pass.
In reality there is about a million different reasons Spyderco could have decided to bring back the Sage 1 and/or possibly other variations in new steels.

Regarding the Para 3, weren’t nearly all of its many variations requests from dealers?
Last edited by Cl1ff on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 pm
Blnd wrote:
Come on Gernot, you KNOW the Manix is better than the PM2 ;)

Well... yes. ;)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:40 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
I totally get what you´re saying when looking at it as if I were a collector.

But I (and others of course) have proposed for quite sometime, that if a small comp. lock model gets all the variants and steels to try out, that perhaps a change from Para 3 to Sage 5 would be no mistake.
The Para 3 seems to be a knife that polarizes a bit: Some really love it, but others just don´t like it enough to get it just for trying out steels or whatever. Maybe the Sage 5 finds more common ground here? Just a guess, and of course totally subjective, but for me the Sage 5 has several features that are just "better" for a small knife in the sense that perhaps more people will like them or at least can live with them well (blade stock, handle design...).
Personally I think the Sage 5 is an amazing, perfect design in almost every aspect.
It's all good. Like I said, I'm fine with the Sage 5 LW variants. Sal has said that the Sage 5 LW might be a nice platform for different steels and colors. I agree. What I was referring to in my comment was the suggestion that all the Sage models should be brought back with slightly different variations. Not for me thanks but I'm not against someone else asking for it to happen.

For the record, I'm a fan of both the Sage and Para 3 models. For me it's a toss up between the two. I like the handle a tiny bit better on the Sage but I like the straight spine blade shape on the Para 3. I like thinner blades too but I don't exactly consider the Sage to be a thin slicer. Similar to how I've never felt like the slightly thicker blade stock on the Para 3 hindered it's performance. As long as they're sharp, they both cut what I need them to and they do it nicely. These are pocket knives not surgical scalpels. I guess I don't over think this stuff like some do
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:56 pm
Blnd wrote:

I do agree that the Chaparral has the same general shape but it would have to grow a little to actually be a Sage model.
Y’all aren’t changing my mind. :D

If spyderco called the chaparral the Sage 7 no one would blink.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:24 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Blnd wrote:

Besides all the people that already have the Chap.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Blnd wrote:

:p I would.
And say: Man, finally the "Sage" has reasonable thin blade stock! But it shrinked... ;)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Blnd wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Blnd wrote:

Lil' Sage LB maybe...
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
sal

Post by sal »

We have "Button Lock" planned , but capacity is an issue.

What other locks would you like to see on Sages?

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm

sal
Phantom lock would be cool. Or some kind of swivel bolster.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm

sal
Button lock
Neely lock
Power lock
The "strap lock" Buck use on the Marksman (unless it's proprietary/patented by Buck) I liked the Marksman a lot, but think the lock could be refined, although sound and working.
Also i love my BM Lum Onslaught and wouldn't mind seeing Spydercos with Axis lock, although i am not holding my breath :)