Police 4 broken pivot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Police 4 broken pivot

Post by vivi »

I bought a Police 4 from the seconds sale.

Disassembled it so I could put the K390 blade in an FRN handle.

Went to put the knife back together with a VG10 blade half a week ago.

Had everything put back together hitch free. I went to tighten up all the screws after getting everything lined up perfectly. Clip and body screws all went in fine.

The pivot was still loose enough that there was a big gap between the liners and the lockbar on both sides of the pivot.

I gradually tighten the pivot screw, checking every so often to see how much play there is while ensuring opening is still smooth. Before I eliminate lateral play and get rid of the visible gap between the liners and lockbar, this happens:

I tried contacting the Spyderco email but have not seen a response. I'm guessing they're pretty busy right now.

Would it be possible to buy a new screw?

I don't see how this could have been my fault as the pivot still looked this loose when it happened, and I didn't use abnormal amounts of force.

If a screw won't go in I never force it, I take it out and try again more slowly. There was no warning, it just popped.

I need to order a new clip & clip screws for this one anyways, hoping I can get a pivot screw too. I know they don't service seconds.
:unicorn
Pancake

Re: Police 4 broken pivot

Post by Pancake »

This is not 100 % sure info, but you can get titanium hardware for Endura 4 on eBay. I think that screw hardware could be the same between on Seki models.
But this is the last option, I would way for the CS from Spyderco.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Is a broken screw extractor not an option here?

If this were my project, after getting a replacement screw, I'd consider (lightly) clamping the scales snug before/during installing the pivot screw.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

I would suggest contacting Charlynn in Customer Service. Yes we're pretty busy right now.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:49 pm
Is a broken screw extractor not an option here?

If this were my project, after getting a replacement screw, I'd consider (lightly) clamping the scales snug before/during installing the pivot screw.
I think I'll be able to get the screw out without any issues.

I may try clamping the knife down like you suggest.

I actually had this knife put together with the VG10 blade a few weeks ago and it worked fine. I took it apart to trade the G10 scales for pakkawood and just got around to putting it back together with my other G10 scales. Strange how it went together just fine last time.
sal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 pm
Hi Vivi,

I would suggest contacting Charlynn in Customer Service. Yes we're pretty busy right now.

sal
Will do. Thank you Sal.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Material defect in the screw, it happens. If it were me, I'd source a screw elsewhere after extracting the broken piece.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:41 am
Had everything put back together hitch free. I went to tighten up all the screws after getting everything lined up perfectly. Clip and body screws all went in fine.

The pivot was still loose enough that there was a big gap between the liners and the lockbar on both sides of the pivot.

I don't see how this could have been my fault as the pivot still looked this loose when it happened, and I didn't use abnormal amounts of force.
Three things.
1) If everything was lined up perfectly, there would not have been a gap.
2) When assembling flat pieces, tighten all fasteners alternately, a little at a time (a quarter turn each at a time usually works well) in a pre-determined sequence to keep everything flat and true.
3) Once you make the decision to disassemble something, EVERYTHING that follows is your fault. Own it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:58 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:41 am

Three things.
1) If everything was lined up perfectly, there would not have been a gap.
2) When assembling flat pieces, tighten all fasteners alternately, a little at a time (a quarter turn each at a time usually works well) in a pre-determined sequence to keep everything flat and true.
3) Once you make the decision to disassemble something, EVERYTHING that follows is your fault. Own it.
The seconds Police came to me with a gap like my picture shows. Just not quite as bad as that particular photo.

When I had it assembled with the VG10 blade, the gap was still there.

I took it apart again so I could trade the scales. This thread is what happened the second time I put it back together, after my third time taking it apart.

I've disassembled my other Police 4's over three times this much, and my Police 3 from the first run more times than I can count.

You've been here a long time and I've always liked your posts. Not sure why you're blaming me for a material defect on a seconds that came with a flaw, but I know that isn't like you.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Oh well, I guess all seconds aren't bargains.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Ooooof! Mine's not loose like that thankfully and didn't have that gap. But should be a reminder for me to be extra careful with my pivot.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

You know...I always thought the pivot on the police 4 looked small and like it might be flimsy, so when I saw this thread I was worried that my worst fears were about to be realized. I'm glad that this is nothing like what I imagined and my fears around the pivot on the police 4 remain unfounded - because I keep buying more Police 4 models (mostly because of your posts, Vivi). I hope Spyderco Warranty Dept gets you taken care of.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 pm
Hi Vivi,

sal
Does anyone have her email address handy? PM it to me if you could. Forgot to take care of this back when I posted, but I'd like to get a G10 Police back in my rotation.
sal

Post by sal »

scustomerservice@spyderco.com. You can also find it on the website.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks Sal, sent them a message.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sterling customer service right there, folks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

good news, no charge for a pivot screw, they'll include it with the clip & screws I'm also ordering. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:41 pm
good news, no charge for a pivot screw, they'll include it with the clip & screws I'm also ordering. :)
Well the screw finally came in. I got half of it. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with this considering the part this is meant to replace is broken off in the other half of the pivot screw.

No clip or clip screws.

At this point I'm just going to browse ebay for the parts I need, and if nothing comes up I'm selling this off as spare parts.

This was an odd experience. Can't say I'm happy. Shame, because I miss having a G10 Police 4 in rotation.

Posted this thread in January right after the seconds sale. It's June and I still can't use this Police.

Think I'm just gonna throw it up on ebay and wash my hands of this one.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You should be able to use one of the reverse rotation type screw extractors on this.

At the risk of annoying people with my repetition, an good CRM system at Spyderco Support would go a long way to stopping issues like this. Little things like this add up and eat away at your customer's good will.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Something like this could help. https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-micro

A single #1 bit is the least expensive option.
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am
You should be able to use one of the reverse rotation type screw extractors on this.

At the risk of annoying people with my repetition, an good CRM system at Spyderco Support would go a long way to stopping issues like this. Little things like this add up and eat away at your customer's good will.
I've never used one before. Would it work on such a small surface area? It looks a bit under 2mm wide.