Caribbean for EDC - Plain or Serrated?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Caribbean for EDC - Plain or Serrated?

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

New here, and fairly new to knives in general. For reference, by Spyderco I currently have a Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW, and Manix 2 in G-10. I also have a Sharpmaker (standard set plus ultra-fine).

Now I'm considering a Caribbean as an alternate EDC to mix things up. I think I want a larger folder with a compression lock, which led me to check the Shaman first (since I like the Manix, it seemed similar), and now the Caribbean.

I was planning to go the default route and order a plain edge - never even thought about serrated.

However in researching, I came across some threads about the Caribbean with a serrated edge, and they're pretty compelling; one being Evil D's "SE Performance is more than simply teeth vs. no teeth" thread. The idea as I understand it is that teeth that are more wavy and less pointy are better overall, and the Caribbean is a good example of this.

That thread (and others) along with watching a few YouTube videos had me realize that serrated edges can also push-cut through paper smoothly, like a plain edge; rather than looking like a saw went through it. To me this is a huge plus, the apparent advantages of a serrated edge without sacrificing most benefits of a plain edge.

My daughter has a Mini-Griptilian; which has a toothy edge. I can feel it bite into whatever I'm cutting. My Spydercos are smooth. They're super sharp, but sometimes they feel like they just don't get traction to cut, and just slide across whatever I'm cutting. So, if I understand the discussions about a good serrated edge, it sounds like it could provide that toothy traction to bite into whatever I'm cutting.

All of this is tempting me to get the Caribbean in a serrated edge. However, I'd also hate to spend that much on a knife that I'm not sure is the right fit for me. I'm also considering going with a plain edge Caribbean, and then get a less expensive serrated knife (Endela or something).

Anyway - this is getting longer than I planned - what are your thoughts on this? Can the Caribbean's serrated blade push-cut and slice cleanly like a plain edge? Some videos seem to show that.

Would you go with plain or serrated, and why? I've seen similar discussions, but this is a little more specific, and many of those threads are a bit old.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
TenGrainBread

Re: Caribbean for EDC - Plain or Serrated?

Post by TenGrainBread »

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Serrated
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

My thought process goes something like this- do you cut lots of tough or fibrous materials in a corrosive environment? In such quantity that you need a big ergonomic handle to ward off fatigue? That’s probably what the SE Caribbean is best for.

Do you just enjoy having a cool knife in your pocket and find yourself making up stuff to cut during the day in order to enjoy using your hobby piece, with occasional real use on a hiking or hunting/fishing trip? If this is the case, get whichever you think is cooler and will make you happier to hold and have in your pocket. SE is probably not the superior edge type for opening mail or cutting your sandwich in half.

I personally keep knives for different situations and activities because I am a collector, enthusiast, hobbyist- but there are generalist knives and steels that work well in more situations if you don’t want 20 or more different pocket knives to choose from :)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

If you need to test out serrations before committing to the Caribbean, maybe it’d be worth it to purchase a Full Flat Grind Spyderedge Byrd or Tenacious lightweight first?

My experience with Spyderco’s serrations is excellent if that makes your decision any easier.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve owned a plain edge Caribbean for a few years now. Great knife. But if I had to buy it all over again, I’d get serrated.

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I own a a Caribbean. It’s a serrated leaf shape blade. It’s in my pocket right now at work.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

For me SE, no doubt.

I did not expect that at all, but since I experienced my Endela in SE, from a practical point of view I would like to have 90% of my Spydies in serrated edge, as long as the blade is ffg and the serrations are ground not too aggressive (like in the Endela, and as far as I know at least as good in the Caribbean).

SE in my use can do everything PE does, and is in many tasks better (though there WILL be tasks where PE is superior!)
- It bites into material far better (like when cutting a plastic bottle in half)
- It cuts better not only cause of the serrations per se, but also cause of the more acute edge angle (chisel grind)
- It still can cut paper or the like cleanly and with ease
- It stays sharp longer and is (on a sharpmaker) quicker and easier to sharpen
- It effectively offers more cutting edge than the same knife in PE

/ One thing I don´t understand though: If you like the toothy edge on the Minigrip of your daughter, why don´t you give your (PE) Spydies a toothy edge too? This is easier than creating a very smooth, polished edge... this thread by Vivi might be interesting for you! viewtopic.php?t=85096
-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for a long time, i paired a plain edge (typically manix 2 lw or yojimbo) with a spyderedge pac salt. i still do sometimes. for days when i only want to carry one knife, i carry my spyderedge sheepsfoot caribbean.

the caribbean can be carried in a pocket. it can be worn inside my waistband if i decide to go for a run, although the pacific salt is better for this application. it can handle any edc task and also work well in an emergency, such as cutting seatbelts or clothing, due to the serrations and sheepsfoot blade shape.

nothing i cut day to day has to be cut cleanly. if i need to make a clean cut, scissors are probably a better idea anyway. i find the serrations to be so handy that i almost always default to my serrated knives when i need to cut anything, even if i'm carrying a plain edge too. in my mind, serrated knives just beg to be used, especially the salt line.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

My only Caribbean is the SE Sheep-foot version. When compared, it was better at cutting old, dusty, sand impregnated cardboard than the rest of my knives (even hollow grinds surprisingly) and it gives a lot of control and security in the hand, almost like a fixed knife (I am praising its ergonomics, not its locking mechanism).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’d get the serrated Caribbean. Mine push cuts paper and can do fine work with the tip (I got the leaf blade because the pointy tip is something I use a lot).
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Welcome aboard mate, Im in the same position as you and have been researching as to which one I'd get, the serrated or plain leaf.
I went for the serrated option mainly because I have plenty of plain edge folders, thought the Caribbean would be a perfect knife to get serrated on.
Im thinking the SE will be more handy in the boat, fishing and spearing.
Cant give any feedback yet as it hasn't arrived but im really looking forward to it.
Was a really tough decision but if I really like it I might just have to get the plain edge as well.
Both would be handy food prep knives too.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When I first saw his username I was thinking it was Julia's husband and she finally converted him :p

Welcome aboard Jason! I don't have this knife, but people seem to rave over the SE version of it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks all!

As for my uses - I fall into the "office guy looking for a reason to use his knife" category. So for the most part, opening envelopes, cutting off tags, breaking down boxes, fidgeting, etc., with the possibility of occasional yard work.

I'm sure the Caribbean is more knife than I need; but as we know, that doesn't matter. I seem to like larger folders, and I like what I've seen regarding LC200N. Plus, we usually end up making a trip or two to the beach each year.

@Wartstein - I had thought about trying to get a toothier edge through lower-grit sharpening, but I currently only have the standard Sharpmaker (no diamond or CBN rods, but plan to get them soon). I like the look of the plain edge better than serrated, so going for a toothier plain edge is a high possibility. Also in the link you posted, the comments posted by vivi regarding a toothy plain edge vs. a serrated edge make sense.

There sure seem to be a lot of recommendations for the serrated Caribbean though.

@Salty Dog - Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this. :) If you think about it, please report back here once you've had a little time with it.

I'm researching this because I have a birthday coming up in a few months, so I have a little time.

Thanks again!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

SE seems to be less popular and more available in stock on the hard to get models.
I always keep a SE or partially serrated knife handy to cut those nylon straps that go around big shipping boxes and currently use a partial serrated Bailout in M4, and would love to have an Endela LW in LC200N full SE after now reading all the rave reviews and user experience of SE Spydies. I have a PE Caribbean but it isn't getting any use or carry as I find it taking up too much room in my pocket and the much lighter Pacific Salt II in LC200N can do everything it can do for my uses. When I go surf fishing, a Pac Salt 2 is perfect as 2.6 oz. in a swimming trunk is much easier to carry than a 4 oz. Caribbean.
My wish for '21 is to see Sypderco launch a Zome Endela in LC200N SE leaf shape blade, or in M390 close to 2 oz.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

The Caribbean would be the absolute perfect knife for a combo edge blade, the salt environment, stuff like rope and getting through the underside of the gill area when gutting bigger fish, a combo would be the best of both worlds.
Id be all over a combo leaf Caribbean.

@Jason, it might be one of those knives that the only way to get true satisfaction is to buy both :)
I think the plain edge is no doubt the safer option for you but its a really tough decision.
The great reviews on the SE is part of the reason I chose it and serrated knives are very handy on the water.
Because the blades fine edge has been ground off a bit to make the serrations, the fully serrated blades feel a bit stronger imo, they are a bit thicker behind the edge, they just feel more capable to me.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Salty Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 pm
The Caribbean would be the absolute perfect knife for a combo edge blade, the salt environment, stuff like rope and getting through the underside of the gill area when gutting bigger fish, a combo would be the best of both worlds.
Id be all over a combo leaf Caribbean.

@Jason, it might be one of those knives that the only way to get true satisfaction is to buy both :)
I think the plain edge is no doubt the safer option for you but its a really tough decision.
The great reviews on the SE is part of the reason I chose it and serrated knives are very handy on the water.
Because the blades fine edge has been ground off a bit to make the serrations, the fully serrated blades feel a bit stronger imo, they are a bit thicker behind the edge, they just feel more capable to me.
They may be thicker behind the edge, but Spyderedges tend to be ground at a lower included angle than their plain edge brethren are.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:31 pm
@Wartstein - I had thought about trying to get a toothier edge through lower-grit sharpening, but I currently only have the standard Sharpmaker (no diamond or CBN rods, but plan to get them soon). I like the look of the plain edge better than serrated, so going for a toothier plain edge is a high possibility. Also in the link you posted, the comments posted by vivi regarding a toothy plain edge vs. a serrated edge make sense.

There sure seem to be a lot of recommendations for the serrated Caribbean though.

Jason, just using the brown rods (and skipping the whites and UF) will make it a bit toothier already, but I highly recommend getting diamonds or CBN, not just for creating a toothier edge (I have the CBN and they work very good, but never had the diamonds so can´t compare).

/ As a matter of fact Vivi knows a ton more about sharpening than I do, and his comments pointed me towards trying very coarse plain edges too (as coarse as they get by using only the CBNs in my case). Worked out really well for me!
But I still prefer SE: For me it offers kind of the best of both worlds: It is always "toothy" cause of the serrations (so will bite into stuff like plastic bottles without slipping off), but I still can get the scallops between the teeth very smooth and polished if I like.
Furthermore, I like the chisel grind of the SE edges which makes the bevel a lot more acute.

I´d recommend that you just try Spydercos serrations in ffg yourself and see what you think (and tell us! :) ). Does not have to be in the Caribbean, you could pick up a cheaper model in SE, like the Tenacious, or Endela or Delica Wharnie SE!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Hi All,

Can the Caribbean's serrated blade push-cut and slice cleanly like a plain edge? Some videos seem to show that.

Would you go with plain or serrated, and why? I've seen similar discussions, but this is a little more specific, and many of those threads are a bit old.

Thanks!
Jason

https://youtu.be/o0ktSEJk4AY

The key is to keep them sharp. Once they start getting dull, that's when the snagging and ripping starts. Touch them up often and they're a joy to use. I'm going on 4 years of exclusive SE carry and I don't remember ever thinking I needed PE or feeling like I couldn't cut something with SE.

As a cheaper testing the waters option, I'd look at the SE Tenacious. The pattern isn't exactly the same but should give you an idea of what to expect. The Caribbean serrations are easily the best I've used.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Ive had an about turn.
Luckily my serrated edge Caribbean was showing it still hadn't shipped from Amazon US, which enabled me to change my order to the straight edge.

I did this because after using my fully serrated tenacious lightweight, im not happy with a few things about the cut.

This is a good lesson for me to make sure ive tried something out on a cheaper model, before I go putting big bucks down, lucky I could change it.

It feels like the flat grind SE edge wants to push to the right when cutting, a lot.
Realise I have to adjust for this but it just doesn't feel natural.
Ive never felt any knife act like this.
Im green to Spyderco but my logic says a flat grind SE is not very logical, especially having the grind on the inside of the blade for a right hander which most of the population is.
There must be something im missing or not understanding, what's the reason for the grind on this side of the blade?
And what's with the blade wanting to cut at an angle? obviously because the grinds on one side.
Its fantastic on rope, carpet, etc but has its drawbacks.

Im going to keep experimenting and not give up on it.